997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

MObridge Bluetooth Ipod Install and Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
MObridge Bluetooth Ipod Install and Impressions

I am very pleased with the unit. BT syncs seamlessly with my BB 8130 and performs flawlessly.

My only complaint is 225 contact max. in phonebook - but this is a Porsche OE restriction, not MObridge

Parrot mic near dome light works well, as reported by others on other end of the line - low noise and clear communication.

The Ipod interface works well, but sometimes does not respond instantly to button input. A 1 second pause before response to input is observed sometimes.....

Otherwise perfect.

mObridge links:

http://www.mobridgeinc.com/vehicles/porsche
http://www.mobridgeinc.com/node/63

Install:

Follow PCM removal :

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/sh...php?product=92

and/or

Step 1 - Remove small carpeted trim piece from side of center console by PCM (Beside PCM) Using Torx wrench size T-30
Step 2 - Remove two leather side trim pieces using Torx wrench size T-20
Step 3 - Using 5mm Allen wrench turn four (two each side) black hex locks 1/4 - 1/2 turn (CCW, I think) to unlatch side locks. Do not force these. They turn very easily in the correct direction. Open glove box on passenger side to access these latches.
Step 4 On pasenger side, back out 7 mm hex head screw
Step 4 - Carefully slide out PCM

A-pillar: route wire up a pillar and through headliner- use a credit card or similiar to push behind trim....there are other threads on this.....

After pulling out PCM, swap fiber optic strands CAREFULLY as per MoBridge instructions for Tyco connectors and tap into power and ground using 12 gauge taps and 22 gauge blade connectors from Radio Shack. Here is a picture showing the taps and orange fiber optic cables.

A sweet place to mount the unit with extremely easy access for SD card firmware upgrades is behind the glovebox, in a slot with just the right width, under a foam trim piece. I used industrial strength Velcro form Ace hardware to mount the light unit behind the glovebox,

The following photos show the mounting of the unit in the slot between firewall and back of glovebox:

Ready for insertion, with all wires and cables routed, I added a cable sheath as well:

View looking up from floor on passenger side- unit mounted in slot between electrical control box and plenum chamber, just behind glovebox, and held fast with extra strength Velcro - no bump will dislodge this from the velcro !:

I hope this helps others. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by unclejosh; 01-01-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Dominique997SC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by unclejosh
The Ipod interface works well, but does not respond instantly to button input. 1-2 second pause before response to input.
Did you contact the manufacturer about this? It seems like a problem that can be solved since nobody else is complaining about it on similar products (like the Tooki).

Originally Posted by unclejosh
My only complaint is 225 contact max. in phonebook - but this is a Porsche OE restriction, not MObridge
Just ditch some friends

Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I put one in my '04 CTT. Lovin it so far, much better than the last Dension unit I had.

One complaint on selecting playlists, you have to press the arrow key again after the playlist loads to begin playback. It should just start playing once selected / loaded imo.

No lags on mine unless I'm loading a huge playlist.

Nice writeup!

Old 05-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
One complaint on selecting playlists, you have to press the arrow key again after the playlist loads to begin playback. It should just start playing once selected / loaded imo.
That too sounds like something that can be resolved very easily with a firmware update... checking in with support should do, if they are listening to their customers, that is.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 AM
nct510 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dominique997SC
That too sounds like something that can be resolved very easily with a firmware update... checking in with support should do, if they are listening to their customers, that is.
Uh oh,,,,it's probably his intake plenum. Better run an independent dyno on that puppy.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Typ997S is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the nice write-up. Can you comment on where you bought and what you paid? Thanks.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
mObridge cost and contact info

I dealt with Scott Nelson at mObridge directly, he is knowledgeable and professional.

The cost was ca. 800.00.

I am glad I waited for the mObridge product release - I had almost made a impulse buy of one the other units on the market.

I do understand that the Dension is working well now with the latest firmware, but have no direct experience with that unit.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
And you bt seems to work great. The bt with the dension does not allow using the pad on the pcm to my knowledge.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Bluetooth on mObridge

Yes, the nice thing about it is that I can dial from my BB which is Pro-Clip mounted and it works seamlessly with PCM or I can dial from PCM.

A great system for sure.

I hope to hear from other mObridge converts......

Regards,

JHG

Old 05-09-2008, 06:35 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
And you bt seems to work great. The bt with the dension does not allow using the pad on the pcm to my knowledge.
But it does allow "voice dial"

Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by larrytrk
But it does allow "voice dial"

I thought that was linked to the phones ability.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:37 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Yes, with the Dension..Not available on mObridge or Tooki

Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by larrytrk
Yes, with the Dension..Not available on mObridge or Tooki
if your phone supports voice dial you can just press the designated button and speak the name in your phone... it's maybe not as efficient as Denison but it can help prevent accidents

some models require you to record the contacts' names first though

Old 06-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Additional note re. Ipod Cable Routing into Glovebox

Here is a picture of the routed Ipod cable - yes, very simple, and as easy as it looks.

Instructions:

Remove the thin black foam trim piece just under the glovebox that runs from the front bottom of the glovebox to the kick-panel/firewall - it is held on by a few black plastic screws - this allows access to the area for Mobridge install, AND to snake Ipod cable into glovebox via backside route.......It may help to shine a flashlight from the open glovebox so you know where to snake Ipod cable.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Last edited by unclejosh; 01-01-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:52 PM
bobbyo is infamous around these parts
I am getting the mobridge bt unit installed tomorrow in my c2s cab. I hope all works well. I was told if they get an error code they will have to take the car to the dealer, and punch a code to have the cd changer deactivated. Hope this is not a big deal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MObridge Bluetooth Ipod Install and Impressions