997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Kiss The 911 GoodBye by 2015 ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Porsche will pay the fines. they pay fines now. Nothing new. By then the 911 will be much closer to the mark anyway. They pay gas fines now. The 911 isnt going anywhere.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
With VAG they won't need to

Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
Porsche will pay the fines. they pay fines now. Nothing new. By then the 911 will be much closer to the mark anyway. They pay gas fines now. The 911 isnt going anywhere.
The whole point of buying VAG is that they will be able to meet CAFE standards if they can be registered as PVAG.

The next generation vehicles are planned for superlight steel which apparently is better than aluminum for weight/rigidity. which means they should be able to run smaller more fuel efficient engines.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:58 AM
JayWild is infamous around these parts
Well, all this will mean is:

A) A slash in the amount of units produced and sold to the US by the "targeted" foreign sports manufacturers

B) A whole new way of calculating/estimating and reporting input and output of most vehicles (there are ways to get around this...the legislation will come at a time that will be TOO EARLY for the government to keep up with the modern science of the 'specialty" auto industry..) and

C) More incentive for the industry to invest in R&D of alternative fuel technology, and more efficient and economic vehicles.

Before CAFE actually is passed, there are going to be so many amendments. I think a small car manufacturer that only says like 1000 or less units within a year should be exempt or held to lighter regulations. Ford, Chevy, and Daimler vehicles that are sold in the 10's of thousands to millions do more damage than an exotic u are lucky to see more than a handful in your lifetime.

Edit: IF this CAFE is passed, (I am willing to bet it'll be an extremely butchered version of this "proposal" that hasnt be finalized), I am expecting the way they classify vehicles will be different. the "footprint" basis is way too general and widespread of a classification for vehicles...and could not only hurt commercial vehicles on the road, but vehicles used for utility, construct, special-use, etc. that are used jointly by the government, gov't contracts, and private firms...thus increasing prices all over the board, that will simply be more of a economic pain than any environmental gain.

Right now my 2007 Chevy Impala Flex Fuel is rated at 29mpg.....the way I drive, the conditions I drive in, I get an average of 22-24mph. So it would be unrealistic to expect that every driver will be seeing 40mpg or so on the road.

Let's just let speculation rest and see what has happens

Last edited by JayWild; 05-14-2008 at 10:10 AM.