997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Kiss The 911 GoodBye by 2015 ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM
2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light
Kiss The 911 GoodBye by 2015 ???

Due To CAFE Rules Coming..Porsche and other Small Manufacturers may not survive after 2015 .. The Fleet of cars for a manufacturer must AVG. 35 mpg

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1210...d=hpp_us_autos

Old 05-13-2008, 05:49 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It says if they don't comply they will face fines, any idea what the penalty is? A Ferrari owner won't care about a fine to get into a the latest and greatest.

It also doesn't address tuners, what will stop them from taking a little engine and changing it to push a lot of extra power. We like speed, we will find a way to get this thrill filled.

Anyone know what a Fighter Jet uses per hour? I am sure a lot more then my 997 will use in a month!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:51 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
It says if they don't comply they will face fines, any idea what the penalty is? A Ferrari owner won't care about a fine to get into a the latest and greatest.

It also doesn't address tuners, what will stop them from taking a little engine and changing it to push a lot of extra power. We like speed, we will find a way to get this thrill filled.

Anyone know what a Fighter Jet uses per hour? I am sure a lot more then my 997 will use in a month!
Imagine how much of a fine the US gov't would have to pay if CAFE rules applied to military vehicles and aircraft. Their debt would grow many more trillions.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe they can just up the production of the Porsche bicycle, thereby offsetting our gas guzzling fun.
This won't happen. It just won't.
With Direct Injection around the corner (months), and other tweaks, the 911 could easily get 30's hwy mpg in a few years (if driven a certain way). Ain't gonna happen in my car, but you know what I mean.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M32911S
Imagine how much of a fine the US gov't would have to pay if CAFE rules applied to military vehicles and aircraft. Their debt would grow many more trillions.
I think a bill would be passed exempting the government from this as long as the cars and gas are all bought through Halliburton

Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 PM
BeastRides101 is infamous around these parts
Porsche scooters and motorcycles would do nicely for that high MPG. Make one electric porsche and you save infinity gas, enough to offset the rest.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Perhaps this why Porsche is taking control of VAG, a Diesel engine in a R8, could be a concept engine for the 911

Old 05-13-2008, 07:43 PM
'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about
I think the key words are "fleet average" consumption. Porsche has been building their share ownership in VW and maybe by 2015 the 911s will be averaged in with the rest of VW cars? Either that or Porsche will have to build some real economical models to add to the fleet to bring up the average. Maybe some real lightweight 1.0L subcompacts.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The engineers simply have a tougher math and physics problem and years to figure it out .

Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Porsche bought VAG for this very reason. When viewed as VAG+ PAG it looks much better. City cars from VW, hybrids are in development for Porsche, Audi have a range of good diesels that are great to drive and give good economy. Porsche will survive in many ways far better than Mercedes-Benz. Low pressure turbo-charging the flat-6 will help reduce it's capacity without reducing performance and help lower CO2 emissions. There's a lot of mileage in Porsche yet.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:18 AM
rmani is infamous around these partsrmani is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S

Doesn't apply to Ferrari or Lamborghini because their production numbers are too small. Porsche was stupid and greedy by pumping out cayennes, boxsters, and now caymans rather than just letting themselves get bought and securing an agreement that the parent company wouldn't interfere with brand quality (similar to what Fiat did for Ferrari).

One thing working for Porsche is the 911s engine size. If they can just decrease the weight and push the fuel economy up a bit they might be able to make something work. With an 8 cylinder car this wouldn't work but with the 6 anything is possible. I also know Porsche is fighting to be exempted from this rule but right now they are losing.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Nugget is infamous around these parts
I'n encouraged by this. Anything that encourages Porsche to head in the "add lightness" direction instead of the mindless "add horsepower" game is a huge win for everyone.

I don't want a 500hp 911, I want a 2800lb (or less!) 911.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nugget
I'n encouraged by this. Anything that encourages Porsche to head in the "add lightness" direction instead of the mindless "add horsepower" game is a huge win for everyone.

I don't want a 500hp 911, I want a 2800lb (or less!) 911.
Me too

Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
dumb thread. head to head with Nissan GTR thread. lol.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 AM
abe911 is infamous around these parts
And people really think this is about the enviroment.....its just another way of the

crooks is Washington to take money out of our pockets, IMHO.
abe

Last edited by abe911; 05-14-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spell

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kiss The 911 GoodBye by 2015 ???