997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Road Damage Yesterday (Gas Cap)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Looney2N is infamous around these parts
Road Damage Yesterday (Gas Cap)

Anyone know of generic gas cap that will fit the 997?

I screwed up yesterday after filling up at the beginning of great run and lost the cap

Old 05-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Chicago_Steve is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Looney2N

I screwed up yesterday after filling up at the beginning of great run and lost the cap
Good opportunity to upgrade to this: http://www.evoms.com/marketplace/Vie...47F1774477B%7D

Attached Images  

Last edited by Chicago_Steve; 05-18-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
I have that one! looks nice!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:27 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Upgrade, don't do generic

Old 05-18-2008, 07:35 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Looney2N

I'm trying to figure out how the cap was lost - it's tethered on...and if for some reason it didn't get put back on, you would have gotten a CEL as a warning and maybe the car wouldn't have even started. Tell us the details.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 AM
We were 7 cars in our group. I was distracted after replacing the fuel hose back into the gas pump. We all jumped in and took off..............

The stop was litterally at the base of 20+ mile run of corkscrews. The run was "agressive" and all concerntration was on driving. When we got into the hairy stuff, I kept hearing a little knocking noise periodically. I kept checking the mirror for any kind of hand signal from the car behind me, but nothing.

It did sound like maybe like a marker light had popped out and was still attached by the wire and banging against the side of the car. There was no idiot light on and the car ran just fine. I then heard a louder bang, as was able to see something litterally explode as my right rear tire ran over it. The sound was gone and I figured the light fell off. I stayed on the a$$ end of the car in front until we had an op to slow down.

When I pulled over, teather was hanging out and the cap was gone. We all pondered the situation and even thought we might get a warning light or something.

It ran fine the 120+ miles home on somewhat tamer roads.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Burnham is infamous around these parts
Doh, hope it didnt do any damage to your wing, bouncing around like that.

Yes, a good opportunity to upgrade to that nice alu jobbie above....mind you, that would last 5 minutes on my car with the theiving pikey toerag chav scum we have over here...

Old 05-20-2008, 06:30 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Burnham
Doh, hope it didnt do any damage to your wing, bouncing around like that.

Yes, a good opportunity to upgrade to that nice alu jobbie above....mind you, that would last 5 minutes on my car with the theiving pikey toerag chav scum we have over here...
The "alu jobbie" is plastic too...but it looks good.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Burnham is infamous around these parts
..ah ok, well it does certainly look better than the black plastic standard item.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
just get one at dealer. the alum looking is kind of useless to be sitting inside the gas door and never been seen. also, the silver one does not tether so you may lose it again.

next time, pull over if you hear someone weird. honk so others will wait for you.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 AM
next time, pull over if you hear someone weird. honk so others will wait for you.
That is a good one...............guess you had to be there to appreciate the moment. Running bumper to bumper in the cork screws with no turn outs......there was litterally no place to pull over and you certainly would not want to stop on that road. It was a short 20 mile section and we had a mere 11 miles to go.

End result.......................$19 for a gas cap and absolutely no marring or scratching to fender.

I had applied the RejeX bonding finish just 2 weeks ago and it protected the paint like you would not have believed!!!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by djantlive
just get one at dealer. the alum looking is kind of useless to be sitting inside the gas door and never been seen. also, the silver one does not tether so you may lose it again.

The part I bought from Porsche included two different tethers to use.