997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Burnt on the Six Speed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Question --Is the chatter a slip or a vibration ?

Regarding virbration -- even though my driving style never detected this I have spoken with others who felt vibration in all the 997 model line cars EXCEPT the Gt3 and Turbo .

Regarding chatter and slip -- that can be repaired .

If you really aren't ready to get out of the sports car , don't want to risk the DCT new transmission issues, and want to eliminate this entire clutch ordeal --I would suggest taking the car to the dealer where you got it, express that you've tried fixing it and your just not happy , and see what they can do about placing you in a Tiptronic .

I think they will come through .
I also think you'd be happier.
And you get to stick with Porsche .

And if you wait --maybe even the facelift or a Turbo tip ?

I hope all is well and hope this works out for you . There's no reason to stick with a car which isn't satisfying your driving needs.
Feels like a classic case of clutch chatter. Chatter is felt in the clutch pedal when moving from a stop only...it feels like the pedal is pulsating against my foot upon release unless I only rev it to about 1200 rpms then it's ok...getting tired of having to gingerly release the clutch from every stop. As I mentioned earlier they already replaced the clutch and flywheel and it did not fix the problem.

With regard to the dealer and tip, yes they will probably do whatever they can to help out since I buy so many cars from them...I just don't know if I should wait for the PDK to come out and get a left over tip cheap or by then the value of my 07S six speed will be down as well due to the DFI cars being out, but I guess the tip cars will really take it on the chin then.

I have a feeling I'll test the new PDK DFI car and be hooked...God save me .

BTW, the new home search saga continues...

Last edited by 500; 05-26-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
500 -

The remaining chatter after full replacement IMO was an issue about installation rather than the parts . It's not an easy job and my guess is that they did the best they could but its still not right .

If you get a Turbo tip --it's a total change . No facelift yet , dealership would be eager to cut a deal on your 997S , and whatever loss can be absorbed in opting out of a few expensive options . You do see where I'm headed with this ...

A new Turbo , a new house -- sounds good !!!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
500 -

The remaining chatter after full replacement IMO was an issue about installation rather than the parts . It's not an easy job and my guess is that they did the best they could but its still not right .

If you get a Turbo tip --it's a total change . No facelift yet , dealership would be eager to cut a deal on your 997S , and whatever loss can be absorbed in opting out of a few expensive options . You do see where I'm headed with this ...

A new Turbo , a new house -- sounds good !!!
LOL...I'm glad you're at least an hour away from me, as if you lived next door I'd (we'd) be in serious trouble and both be in the "poor house" .

The price tag of the new house is getting way out of line...that's all I need is to come home with a new TT...

Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 500
LOL...I'm glad you're at least an hour away from me, as if you lived next door I'd (we'd) be in serious trouble and both be in the "poor house" .

The price tag of the new house is getting way out of line...that's all I need is to come home with a new TT...
I've always kept my house less than my car in terms of proportional value . Perhaps I value the car more , Maybe it's all these hurricanes in Florida or the real estate market here which don't seem to ever add up to the joy I find with my car . I could have screened my pool or remodelled my kitchen but nope --I opted for Turbo .

I don't buy expensive things often but my car is the one material item which has always been special .

If I wasn't happy with the car and saw that for X dollars I be in the car I should have bought from the start I would trade it in .
In fact I did just that when I traded in my five month old 997S for a Turbo .

I have been so glad that I bought the car .

Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I've always kept my house less than my car in terms of proportional value . Perhaps I value the car more , Maybe it's all these hurricanes in Florida or the real estate market here which don't seem to ever add up to the joy I find with my car . I could have screened my pool or remodelled my kitchen but nope --I opted for Turbo .

I don't buy expensive things often but my car is the one material item which has always been special .

If I wasn't happy with the car and saw that for X dollars I be in the car I should have bought from the start I would trade it in .
In fact I did just that when I traded in my five month old 997S for a Turbo .

I have been so glad that I bought the car .
I've put cars as a very high priority for so many years as I too get so much enjoyment from them. Another of the reasons the house is getting so carried away is I want the perfect driveway to clean the cars in...all part of the neuroses ya know .

The six speed will be history by years end for sure...so many sweet choices out there.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 AM
You're right .

Perhaps I got thrilled with the Turbo Tip idea . It certainly would resolve both the shifting and chatter issues , as well as the facelift , any price increase (for 997S) , further depreciation on your car -- and keeps you in Porsche with an amazing car .

Perhaps the timing just isn't right though as it must be overwhelming to juggle house and car decisions simultaneously.

I do wish you the best with all of these things.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks