997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How do you tell if your 997 has PSE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
How do you tell if your 997 has PSE?

Dumb question... I purchased my car used, how would i tell if the car has the sport exhaust system?
I know my car has sport chrono pkg but how would i tell is the exhaust is the sport exhaust?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:12 PM
997ttt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris_FL
Dumb question... I purchased my car used, how would i tell if the car has the sport exhaust system?
I know my car has sport chrono pkg but how would i tell is the exhaust is the sport exhaust?
Chris,
I had mine put on after I bought the car.
You should be able to tell when the car is idling.
Once you press the sports button, you should be able to hear the sound take on a lower tone. Then when you step on the gas, you can hear the louder exhaust.
If you don't have the feature, you should really consider the option. It's the BEST option I had on my 997s.

By the way, nice color combo: arctic/terracotta!!
Any more pics of your car?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	70270  
Old 05-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Chris_FL
Oh ya, and one other thing, if you don't already know this, the great thing about the pse is that it only goes on when the sports mode is on.
This option is not available with the Turbo's.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Fast997S is infamous around these parts
1 big and 1 small pipe on each side is sport exhaust. Same size exhaust outlets is normal exhaust.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
The sport exhaust tips are different from the standard tips. One tip is larger. The pic below shows PSE:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010029.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	70271  
Old 05-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
Thanks! using that info leads me to the conclusion that I do NOT have it.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:12 PM
EdoctaT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 997ttt
Chris,
I had mine put on after I bought the car.
You should be able to tell when the car is idling.
Once you press the sports button, you should be able to hear the sound take on a lower tone. Then when you step on the gas, you can hear the louder exhaust.
If you don't have the feature, you should really consider the option. It's the BEST option I had on my 997s.

By the way, nice color combo: arctic/terracotta!!
Any more pics of your car?
Chris, how much did the PSE retrofit cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Fast997S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EdoctaT
Thanks in advance.
I bought mine off of ebay for 1,000 and installed myself. Gets a bit tricky if you plan on running a custom on/off switch like I did. Other than that its pretty simple.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Looney2N is infamous around these parts
Don't forget...................the factory PSE also enhances the sensitivity of the of throttle peddle. Every time I stall the engine, get embarrassed and quickly restart without engaging the Sport Button, it sometimes feels like I am in 2nd gear because I feel like I have to give it so much more gas to take off.

Don't tell me I am the only one that has stalled the car

Old 05-26-2008, 05:54 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
How does "adding" a PSE change the sensitivity of the of throttle peddle??????

Old 05-26-2008, 06:28 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Looney2N
Don't forget...................the factory PSE also enhances the sensitivity of the of throttle peddle. Every time I stall the engine, get embarrassed and quickly restart without engaging the Sport Button, it sometimes feels like I am in 2nd gear because I feel like I have to give it so much more gas to take off.

Don't tell me I am the only one that has stalled the car
The throttle mapping is changed when sport mode is engaged as is PSE - it's not PSE that changes the throttle mapping.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by EdoctaT
Thanks in advance.
Not at all...
I had it done in Minneapolis Carousel Porsche at a a little over $900 (from what I recall). I can't remember exactly because I also had the short shifter put in at the same time. I think the total bill was $1400.

I know that this is quite a bit for an option that does not increase the HP but for sure this is one option that I just loved. I guess it's because I could always tell the difference between 'Normal' and 'Sports' every time I hit that button! (increase response on the gas pedal and increase in sound!).
Prior to having this, I really did not use the Sports mode too often. After I had the pse, I used the Sports mode just about every day!!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
The sport exhaust tips are different from the standard tips. One tip is larger. The pic below shows PSE:
mjfdds,
Is this your car?
I love the 911 badge on the rear. Any idea how one can get one of these?
tx

Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997ttt
mjfdds,
Is this your car?
I love the 911 badge on the rear. Any idea how one can get one of these?
tx
Eric at Bumperplugs can get the badge for you. He's a board sponsor and the link is on the banner off to the right.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Looney2N is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The throttle mapping is changed when sport mode is engaged as is PSE - it's not PSE that changes the throttle mapping.
When I push the "Sport" button, both the SE and Suspension are activated. I usually then push the Suspension button again and turn it off so that just SE is activated. I do feel the throttle mapping engaged at this point.

When getting aggressive, I re-activate the Suspension button and it appears to only effect the suspension with no addition throttle mapping taking place.

So, I am guessing that with factory PSE you will get throttle mapping when engaging the Sport mode even if you disengage the suspension?!?

Thanks for bearing with me on this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you tell if your 997 has PSE?