997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I was there, RSS Plenum Dyno Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:08 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
One of the things that would concern me in this thread, is the post-IPD plenum dyno numbers are equal to what my car dynos stock. So, assuming it works, what would be my expected result?

Zero gain? (There is nothing left to scavenge from running rich, according to 1999?)
The same peak hp gain? (+12 whp)
The same % hp gain? (+4%)
A smaller gain?

And why? I guess what I'm saying, is lets be hypothetical and say maybe the 997S in the dyno was running poorly in the first dyno (305 whp). Now the plenum is installed and it pulls 317 whp - is it possible some of the change was due to resetting the ECU? 1999 claims this was done, but I don't recall reading for sure it was - but if it was, is it possible some or most of the gain was due to the ECU instead of the plenum?

Let me put it another way - if someone who starts at 305 gets 317 after, what should someone who starts at 317 expect? 329? 317? Somewhere in the middle? The point being, if the best dyno of a plenum install is equal to what I have stock, is my hp/$ ratio likely to be much lower than the guy who got +12 peak hp? And why did they dyno differently (yes, I know about all the variables - just hypothetical here) - is it possible the lower dyno is due to an underperforming car and the plenum and/or ECU resolve some issues rather than adding new hp (and therefore have less to offer a car that is already performing well/at peak)?

No digs or dings here, just theorizing.

Last edited by gravedgr; 06-06-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Wow! All this from a guy who had to ask how to clean his throttlebody. Impressive. I guess if you don't have the knowledge or the ability and willingness to learn, you're stuck following others. I won't waste my time with you anymore.
That's why I pay suckas like you to do the menial jobs for me. WAHHAHA the keyboard jockey brings up a totally irrelevant point to somehow support his baseless claims. don't quit man don't quit keep it comin

again, RSS provided dynos, did the good work. we have no other "good work" to refute this new set of information/data that we got from their efforts. for all this typing engineering textbook crap out there by 1999..... at the end of the day, he will NEVER EVER do anything to back up his claims that the thing doesn't add power.

what's really convoluted is that 1999 has said that the plenum changes the power curve, that they somehow can't back up their 20+hp peak claim that RSSGREG says he never claimed in the first place.... yet the change in power curve absolutely points to a healthy increase in area under the curve stock v. plenum. and like i pointed out earlier, he's accepting the dyno results where it's convenient for him.... he doesn't see a 20+hp peak hp claim that he made up per the dyno and takes it as fact... then continues to ignore the gains throughout the rev range of the very same set of dyno charts for multiple porsche models.

So what he's admitting to is, it's surely adding power to which we are actually all in agreement then, except 1999 is now sitting in his own damn grave.

where the fuq do these idiots like 1999 come from?

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 06-06-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
All this still gets us absolutely nowhere.

Who's right? AWE who have 'proved' the plenum gains nothing over most of the rev band and loses power over some or RSS who have equally 'proved' it gains power right across the rev band?

Lets assume for a moment that both sets of results are valid insofar as they accurately reflect the actual changes seen on the dyno on the day. Then we must ask just what is being done differently to obtain such differing results. If both results are 'real' then there must be some difference in methodology to account for them. The most salient question then becomes which methodology more closely reflects real road conditions - this will be the one that most closely reflects the real gains or otherwise we will see when driving our cars.

At this time we simply don't have enough detailed information to answer this conundrum so the whole plenum debate is still where it was 12 months ago.

Until we have comparisons that show power, coolant temperature, intake air temperature, airflow in CFM, lambda and ignition timing for each run the debate cannot be resolved. All these parameters can be measured in realtime with ODB-II software and would prove once and for all if the plenum improved the efficiency of the engine as a pump at certain rpms (which will show as increased, measured airflow) in which case it will give power at those rpms. Conversely it would prove whether the changes were due to differences in timing / lambda (as can happen after a computer reset). It would also identify false positives due to variations in temperatures forcing changes in lambda and timing.

If AWE and RSS will please give us this information (assuming they ever measured or recorded it) we can make a scientific and informed choice. Without it, all the debate is simply uninformed and meaningless opinion.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:01 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1

Who's right? AWE who have 'proved' the plenum gains nothing over most of the rev band and loses power over some or RSS who have equally 'proved' it gains power right across the rev band?

Lets assume for a moment that both sets of results are valid insofar as they accurately reflect the actual changes seen on the dyno on the day. Then we must ask just what is being done differently to obtain such differing results. If both results are 'real' then there must be some difference in methodology to account for them. The most salient question then becomes which methodology more closely reflects real road conditions - this will be the one that most closely reflects the real gains or otherwise we will see when driving our cars.

At this time we simply don't have enough detailed information to answer this conundrum so the whole plenum debate is still where it was 12 months ago.

Until we have comparisons that show power, coolant temperature, intake air temperature, airflow in CFM, lambda and ignition timing for each run the debate cannot be resolved. All these parameters can be measured in realtime with ODB-II software and would prove once and for all if the plenum improved the efficiency of the engine as a pump at certain rpms (which will show as increased, measured airflow) in which case it will give power at those rpms. Conversely it would prove whether the changes were due to differences in timing / lambda (as can happen after a computer reset). It would also identify false positives due to variations in temperatures forcing changes in lambda and timing.

If AWE and RSS will please give us this information (assuming they ever measured or recorded it) we can make a scientific and informed choice. Without it, all the debate is simply uninformed and meaningless opinion.
Ian,

I think at this point no matter how many times someone dyno's this product someone else will contradict the results. My advice is to buy one and try it, if you don't like it then return it and get your money back.

Ed

Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Ian,

I think at this point no matter how many times someone dyno's this product someone else will contradict the results. My advice is to buy one and try it, if you don't like it then return it and get your money back.

Ed
I did! My car felt like it lost power where AWE said it does and I reported it in a thread some months ago. The IPD plenum didn't seem to fit properly however and I never resolved the issue (it's still on my shelf as we speak)! I thought I'd leave trying it again (can't be bothered taking the car to bits again) until the issue of whether it makes power or not was resolved. Unfortunately, it hasn't been - groan!

At least if the parameters I suggested were measured alongside just power / torque, we'd have a proper, clear picture of what's really going on with this item. Otherwise, I think that plenum could be on my shelf for a long time!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !

Ian,

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but you asked for more data, so I am providing it.

We captured intake air temperatures and MAF signal, and simply monitored coolant temps to ensure stability.

Intake Air Temps below:

Notice that we consistently held IATs to within 4 degree F during our testing due to strategically placed cooling fans and a proper cool down cycle between tests.

MAF graph below (also was posted by us in the original thread):

And here is an example of what happens to Intake Air Temps when careless controls are conducted with cooling fans. Notice how IATs skyrocket when no cooling fan is used on the engine bay, and how susceptible these cars are to proper cooling. Without careful controls, it VERY easy to get false dyno data:

I just want to make sure the community knows how rigorous our testing was and how scientifically we approach all our dyno testing.

A chassis dyno is an integral part of our product development, as opposed to a bookable money making tool for our clients. Because we use it for development, we have ensured that our results are not corrupted by operator error. In the case of this testing, over 60 runs were done to ensure data validity.

It pains me to see how dyno data is being both dismissed and readily accepted here.

Yes, without proper operator experience and dyno cell controls, data can be easily corrupted, even more so on a modern Porsche, but that does not mean *all* dyno data should be dismissed.

And conversely, dyno data should not be so easily accepted by the community without serious questions about what sort of practices were used to ensure validity.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I asked Greg in a different thread to address the conflicting dyno results, ie: Todd/AWE's findings of no gain. I got no response amidst the host of self-congratulatory "Plenum Day" postings. While I am happily running my plenum and not losing any sleep there is a real issue here folks. How about giving us all a hand here Greg? A little open dialogue on this matter would seem to be called for. Gerry

Old 06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Todd, looks like there is a serious dip in air flow with the Plenum in the Mass Air Flow graph at around 4800-5300 rpm's. Am I reading this correctly? It does not seem that the air flow is any better at the other rpm's with the stock vs IPD plenum. Am I reading this correctly?

thanks! Mike

Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
That's why I pay suckas like you to do the menial jobs for me. WAHHAHA the keyboard jockey brings up a totally irrelevant point to somehow support his baseless claims. don't quit man don't quit keep it comin

again, RSS provided dynos, did the good work. we have no other "good work" to refute this new set of information/data that we got from their efforts. for all this typing engineering textbook crap out there by 1999..... at the end of the day, he will NEVER EVER do anything to back up his claims that the thing doesn't add power.

what's really convoluted is that 1999 has said that the plenum changes the power curve, that they somehow can't back up their 20+hp peak claim that RSSGREG says he never claimed in the first place.... yet the change in power curve absolutely points to a healthy increase in area under the curve stock v. plenum. and like i pointed out earlier, he's accepting the dyno results where it's convenient for him.... he doesn't see a 20+hp peak hp claim that he made up per the dyno and takes it as fact... then continues to ignore the gains throughout the rev range of the very same set of dyno charts for multiple porsche models.

So what he's admitting to is, it's surely adding power to which we are actually all in agreement then, except 1999 is now sitting in his own damn grave.

where the fuq do these idiots like 1999 come from?
Hello Choi. I get that you disagree w 1999 but this board has never been about this degree of ugliness in my experience. I have never known this guy to be anything but a sincere proponent of his beliefs and views. Imo you need to rein it in a little. Thanks, Gerry

Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Hello Choi. I get that you disagree w 1999 but this board has never been about this degree of ugliness in my experience. I have never known this guy to be anything but a sincere proponent of his beliefs and views. Imo you need to rein it in a little. Thanks, Gerry
+1.... 1999 has always had good advice on here and rennlist... and I for one quite enjoy reading his informative posts...

1999's argument makes sense to me... AWE showed no gain and RSS proved there was a gain... hmmm.... then why didn't AWE's test show a gain? bahahahah.... well... I'll let you figure it out...

you've already been banned from rennlist Choi... do you enjoy getting the boot?? !! is that something you strive hard for ... you get an A+ for effort...

Old 06-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by Todd/AWE
Ian,

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but you asked for more data, so I am providing it.

We captured intake air temperatures and MAF signal, and simply monitored coolant temps to ensure stability.

Intake Air Temps below:

Notice that we consistently held IATs to within 4 degree F during our testing due to strategically placed cooling fans and a proper cool down cycle between tests.

MAF graph below (also was posted by us in the original thread):

And here is an example of what happens to Intake Air Temps when careless controls are conducted with cooling fans. Notice how IATs skyrocket when no cooling fan is used on the engine bay, and how susceptible these cars are to proper cooling. Without careful controls, it VERY easy to get false dyno data:

I just want to make sure the community knows how rigorous our testing was and how scientifically we approach all our dyno testing.

A chassis dyno is an integral part of our product development, as opposed to a bookable money making tool for our clients. Because we use it for development, we have ensured that our results are not corrupted by operator error. In the case of this testing, over 60 runs were done to ensure data validity.

It pains me to see how dyno data is being both dismissed and readily accepted here.

Yes, without proper operator experience and dyno cell controls, data can be easily corrupted, even more so on a modern Porsche, but that does not mean *all* dyno data should be dismissed.

And conversely, dyno data should not be so easily accepted by the community without serious questions about what sort of practices were used to ensure validity.
Far as I'm concerned this proves what I felt when driving my car with the plenum - Loss of torque above 4000rpm. I think there can be no doubt in anyone's minds now that AWE use their dyno correctly and have all the necessary parameters under control.

Given the above, I just think there was simply a fault in the methodology used on the 'plenum dyno day' that has led to the results published. If there is no more airflow anywhere in the rpm band there is, de facto, no more power if all the other parameters of the engine are kept the same.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Todd, looks like there is a serious dip in air flow with the Plenum in the Mass Air Flow graph at around 4800-5300 rpm's. Am I reading this correctly? It does not seem that the air flow is any better at the other rpm's with the stock vs IPD plenum. Am I reading this correctly?

thanks! Mike
Yes, you are reading that chart correctly.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:58 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
I never looked at the RSS Video until today and the first thing I noticed was that in the parts where you can see the fan behind the car, each and every time, the fan was moved between base runs and runs with the RSS intake. This alone will dramatically affect dyno results.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vFmLlwKD69w

It sure appears that little, if any proper controls were followed. Sure looks like a blatant attempt to affect results or, at minimum, sloppy work..

Old 06-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Far as I'm concerned this proves what I felt when driving my car with the plenum - Loss of torque above 4000rpm. I think there can be no doubt in anyone's minds now that AWE use their dyno correctly and have all the necessary parameters under control.

Given the above, I just think there was simply a fault in the methodology used on the 'plenum dyno day' that has led to the results published. If there is no more airflow anywhere in the rpm band there is, de facto, no more power if all the other parameters of the engine are kept the same.
Hello Ian. There are some problems in my mind w your analysis. First of all you are the only one to my knowledge to report a perceived loss of performance. Secondly above 4-5000 rpm performance is normally attributed to HP, not Tq. On the HP plot provided by AWE you would not be able to "feel a loss" regardless of whether it is there or not. It is miniscule with little change in HP max. What I feel is a smoother hp gain in the higher rpm's ie I no longer feel the "Vanos surge" which used to quite apparent before. This may explain your sense of loss of performance. Often a peakier response is felt as "faster". Lastly you really need to find out why your part did not "fit right" before proceeding to try to put this to rest. Here we have 2 different methodologies (apparently) RSS v AWE with 2 different results. I do not know which situation more closely resembles real life. At times, on the road, my car feels more responsive than at other times. It seems sluggish to respond after I have been dawdling along for a while and quicker when I have been driving spiritedly and the temps are up. If this is real, perhaps an ECU adaptation factor on a short term basis (is this even possible?) I don't know which Dyno methodologly applies to my real world driving. I do know that Greg's apparent avoidance of the issue is no help. I respect your opinion and your attempt at closure but I have not reached the same place yet. Until I put these questions to rest I will continue to trust my senses. When Excellence tested Champion's F77 kit they found little (but some) gain on the dyno (as Champion had warned) but the followup on the track showed a more potent engine performance than the numbers suggested. The car tested was 4 mph faster on a 1000' straight than when it was stock. This coincided w the owners perception that the engine was stronger than the numbers indicated. People want the dyno to make their decisions for them. I just don't know if that is the nature of the beast. Maybe Greg has some answers here but he seems to want to ignore the whole thing and wait for it to go away. Gerry

Last edited by Gpjli; 06-10-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Generally, results on the dyno differ from those on the road if the coolant and intake air temps aren't very tightly controlled on the dyno. The basic problem is that, short of using a wind tunnel, it's more or less impossible to recreate the amount of air flow seen over a car at say 80mph in the road in a dyno cell - even 3 or 4 massive air conditioning fans can't get close!

If these temps aren't kept to within a (very) few degrees of what is seen on the road, the ECUs on modern engines are designed to instantly pull timing and richen the mixture to prevent detonation of the fuel/air charge (knocking). Burning a sub-optimal mixture later in the cycle reduces power considerably and this is what is often seen on a dyno.

The best dyno operators will establish a baseline set of temps, lambdas, airflows, timing etc by running the car on the road and collecting data. They will then ensure all their dyno runs are done within the parameters derived from the road runs. As temps rise quickly on the dyno, plenty of time has to be left between runs for the temps to cool. The power runs then need to be done as the temps rise into the 'road' zone and discontinued as soon as they rise above it. Additionally monitoring the ignition timing and lambda ensures these are the same as when the car was on the road. If they're different, the run is invalid.

There are VERY few dyno operators that follow this rigid a methodology so many dyno runs are less than meaningful. The Champion car probably fits this exactly - temps too high on the dyno (particularly intake air temps on the 911) and power lower than expected. Back on the road and the temps are lower - more timing, leaner mixture, more power.

I find 1999's comments above regarding the fan placement on the plenum dyno day very interesting indeed. If the conditions of the test weren't very strictly controlled, then were the results valid? At least AWE went most of the way - if their temps were consistent then the lambda and timing should have been the same between runs. I'm not sure if they were measured directly.

The only way to make absolutely sure you have valid results is to make sure the coolant temp, intake air temp, lambda and timing are consistent between runs and correspond to real, measured, roadgoing conditions. If all these parameters are kept constant, then a tuning part that works will show an increase in power (often only across part of the rpm band) both on the dyno and on the road.

Lastly, if a tuning part really works, it will show an increase in airflow at those parts of the rpm band where it's increasing performance. Airflow at full throttle can be measured both on and off the dyno. I've often thought that comparing before and after airflows at full throttle on the road (they can be captured using Durametric or similar software) can be a more accurate measure of the effectiveness of a tuning part than a dyno (assuming all the other parameters are kept constant - if only). That wouldn't work for remaps though - they dont affect airflow one bit but give you more bang for the same amount of air/fuel. But that's a whole different ball game.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.