997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Locking Car - Horn Honk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Racer911S is infamous around these parts
Locking Car - Horn Honk?

Is there a way to get the horn to honk when locking the car with the remote without buying some aftermarket computer?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Nothing you can do with the computer but you can take the part that turns off the light buld in the glove compartment and short out the switch and everytime you lock the car the horn will beep. It will do this because it thinks the light is still on.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer911S
Is there a way to get the horn to honk when locking the car with the remote without buying some aftermarket computer?
It would be nice to have that feature but the door locking mechanism is pretty loud so that's how I know it's truly locked - admittedly, I have to be close to hear it.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Nothing you can do with the computer but you can take the part that turns off the light buld in the glove compartment and short out the switch and everytime you lock the car the horn will beep. It will do this because it thinks the light is still on.
Is there a thread that shows how to do this? How do you short out the switch...doesn't sound good for the car. ; )

Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM
MartinJF is infamous around these parts
It is a feature of the Smarttop module I have in my Cab - they make a cheaper version for the coupe, here is the link:

https://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/ind...on=home&menu=1

You can buy it from GMP (a board sponsor) at

http://www.gmpperformance.com/

It is a simply DIY install.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by MartinJF
It is a feature of the Smarttop module I have in my Cab - they make a cheaper version for the coupe, here is the link:

I have reviewed the Smarttop module but I wasn't thrilled at the thought of splicing into some wires to install it. If it was totally plug and play, I would. Did you install it yourself?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
MartinJF is infamous around these parts
On my 997S Cab it was plug and play, I did it myself. I thought that was true for all 997 cars, you might give them a call.

There was a group buy on this board a few months ago search smart top and see what you can find.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:55 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
The newer Remotekey is much easier to install than the older one I have had for a year.
I highly recommend it.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:13 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer911S
Is there a thread that shows how to do this? How do you short out the switch...doesn't sound good for the car. ; )
My dealer did and I did not watch. They took a plastic pies out of the switch. the light does not work but the car thinks the glove box is open and the light is on so it will honk the horn when you lock the car.

I did this on my 2006 Cabriolet but did not have it done on my 2007 Coupe.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 AM
CBnAT is infamous around these parts
Sometimes, at random mine does it. I don't know if I am holding down the button or what. I guess I need to mess with it or RTFM.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Beeps when s.t. is open, door, trunk, or as mentioned glove compartment...etc

Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 AM
jimny is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdrums
Anyone has any idea what this hack might be? Be great if we can turn it into a DIY

I have found a DIY to take the glovebox out but unsure what the steps are above or if it needs the removal of the glove box.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jimny
Anyone has any idea what this hack might be? Be great if we can turn it into a DIY

I have found a DIY to take the glovebox out but unsure what the steps are above or if it needs the removal of the glove box.
Read this post, and you will find the easiest way to get your horn to honk when locking and unlocking

Originally Posted by MartinJF

Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
jimny is infamous around these parts
The glove box option was mentioned by my dealer also, the only thing involved is a disabled glove box sensor vs an addition of a module. The only feature I care for is the horn acknowledgment so I would prefer to go the disabled glove box route. I can have the dealer do it or create a DIY if possible so if anyone else wants just the horn acknowledgment, they can do it themselves too.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I guess another option is to leave the rear console accessory bin cover ajar - it will beep. I am not sure though if the car is fully locked/alarmed as I never tried it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Locking Car - Horn Honk?