997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: If you were out buying a new 997S today, would you choose the PDK box?
Yes, PDK is the new future
57.73%
No, a 6 speed will give more smiles
42.27%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

To PDK or not to PDK? What do you all think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
DawgsFan7 is infamous around these parts
I've never driven a car on a regular basis that hasn't been a manual, but I really think PDK/Dual Clutch systems are the future. As much, as I love shifting, the advantages of better acceleration, better gas mileage, quicker shifts, and more comfort with little penalty in terms of the direct connection with the car sway me toward the PDK.

In addition, I've heard many complain about shifting for the shifter in the transmission tunnel (not the steering wheel buttons) but the pushing up for an upshift and pull down for a downshift makes sense to me. My parents own a 99 Acura TL and that's how its setup and I didn't have any problems with it. Plus, I guess I don't really care what most cars do or how race cars are set up, if its easy to use.

However, the lack of paddles/button system on the steering wheel on the other hand is pretty bad. Would it have been so hard to have 2 paddles, + and - ?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gungriffin
I wonder if Porsche may be leaving the paddle shifters for the more extreme models like the GT3 for right now.
although i doubt that, it´s an interesting speculation imho.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
I don't wear clip on ties or bowties. I tie my own shoe laces. I shift my own gears using a gear stick and clutch pedal. When I can do none of the above I will move over to the "Porsche Double Klutz" automatic gearbox, and hook up my colostomy bag in the door pocket and drive to Florida...

Old 06-21-2008, 11:20 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by awcayenne
NO, MT all the way. If PDK's the wife might want to drive it.
The easiest way I found to keep my wife out of my car was to put the AWE cats in it. Way too loud now, for her liking!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:06 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
no paddle shifters is a no go, I cant stand the thumb garbage I feel like im driving a freaken Playstation game

Old 06-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Price list is out

PDK is $4080

Old 06-22-2008, 02:34 PM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
I had a 996 c4 cab - 6 speed and loved it (totally mod'd), then I purchased a Ferrari 360 spider F1 (also totally mod'd) and love it. I was not sure if I was going to get a 6 speed or a F1, but I wanted my wife to have the ability to take it for a drive now and then. She has driven the car with me and does not want to take it out by herself. That is a totally different thread (a ferrari is really a piece of art / amazing; but you need to plan the day,. parking blah blah blah).

I am looking to get another porsche and am looking forward to the PDK. I HATE the current steering wheel design. I will purchase an aftermarket steering wheel with paddle shifters.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Porsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the rough
I currently drive a cayman s manual and have a 2009 carrera s order. I would definately take the PDK. No torque converter, more effiecient, can play with the manual mode if wanted. However the only dowside I can think of is that there will be less driver interaction, but to me the benefits out weigh by far.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Alan
PDK is $4080
Seems to be a fairly reasonable price. How much was tip trans? Porsche is going to discontinue the tiptronic, correct?

Old 06-23-2008, 12:20 AM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gungriffin
Seems to be a fairly reasonable price. How much was tip trans? Porsche is going to discontinue the tiptronic, correct?
That's the word from Porsche.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Misha is infamous around these partsMisha is infamous around these parts
With PDK you have 2 cars in One . For city driving - auto ; winding roads and (if you fancy) track days, you have automated manual better and faster than anythig else in production cars, invented so farr.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Destiny is infamous around these parts
I tried a lot of different gearboxes and a good short shift manual will always give me the most excitement

Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Destiny
I tried a lot of different gearboxes and a good short shift manual will always give me the most excitement
Ah, but have you experienced the magic of the PDK?

Old 06-24-2008, 03:00 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
magic?

Originally Posted by 500
Ah, but have you experienced the magic of the PDK?
None of us have experienced the "magic of PDK", but I've got alot of experience with the "magic of DSG" and found it to become boring for street driving.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Agree

Originally Posted by Alan
None of us have experienced the "magic of PDK", but I've got alot of experience with the "magic of DSG" and found it to become boring for street driving.
Most people end up shoving it into "D" and leaving it there. DSG is essentially a gearbox for the bored and lazy people who want to pretend they're driving an F1 car. It's the same mentality as those people who buy honking big sports chrono watches and after 5 minutes of fiddling and showing off never use the functions again.

The only people I've met who like DSG are bored suburban housewives driving Audi TT convertibles who can look good while yakking on the phone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To PDK or not to PDK? What do you all think?