997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: If you were out buying a new 997S today, would you choose the PDK box?
Yes, PDK is the new future
57.73%
No, a 6 speed will give more smiles
42.27%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

To PDK or not to PDK? What do you all think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
To PDK or not to PDK? What do you all think?

I was really curious as to what you all thought about the new PDK system on the new 997. So my senario was this: You are choosing options on a new 997S, are you going to check the box for PDK or not?

I was really just wondering because I probably would. It seems like a vast improvement over anything that Porsche has now for flat out point to point speed (It took 8 seconds off the Nurburgring lap time as compared to a 6speed 2009 997), but leaves me wondering if it is all about point to point speed... Will the new gearbox be as engaging as a proper manual? Porsche definitely seems to think the customers will think so. They are estimating that the vast majority of new NA 911s will be with PDK, but what do you all think??

Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gungriffin
I was really curious as to what you all thought about the new PDK system on the new 997. So my senario was this: You are choosing options on a new 997S, are you going to check the box for PDK or not?

I was really just wondering because I probably would. It seems like a vast improvement over anything that Porsche has now for flat out point to point speed (It took 8 seconds off the Nurburgring lap time as compared to a 6speed 2009 997), but leaves me wondering if it is all about point to point speed... Will the new gearbox be as engaging as a proper manual? Porsche definitely seems to think the customers will think so. They are estimating that the vast majority of new NA 911s will be with PDK, but what do you all think??
I am one of those buyers that would stay with the MT, I love the shifting and the clutch, makes me feel as if I am part of the car. I know I need to learn proper Heel Toe before it is time to upgrade!

It scares me to think what the PDK will cost to repair!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I won't miss the clutch much. However, I don't like Porsche's small shift button/levers and it's counter-intuitive operation. 360CS large levers are still best I've ever driven.

MT die hards will enjoy their interaction. The slower time is only meaningful when you are racing on track. It's really no different than 997TT's MT vs Tip debate IMO except we are dealing with 7 spd on the PDK.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djantlive
I won't miss the clutch much. However, I don't like Porsche's small shift button/levers and it's counter-intuitive operation. 360CS large levers are still best I've ever driven.

MT die hards will enjoy their interaction. The slower time is only meaningful when you are racing on track. It's really no different than 997TT's MT vs Tip debate IMO except we are dealing with 7 spd on the PDK.
It is way different than the Tip vs. MT debate on the turbo. The dual clutch will provide greater interaction than the auto ever could. With no torque converter the drivetrain losses are the same not to mention the fuel economy is greater with PDK.

It is not as simple as saying the PDK is for people who want Tip.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
i'd have to drive it to make a final determination - else it's all conjecture at this point

Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
I realize this is not an apples to apples comparison, but I really like the DSG tranny in my GTI. If the PDK is as good as the reviews say, then it will be a blast to drive. One can cruise around or have an easier drive in stop and go traffic, then head to the nearest canyon and start carving up the curves.

Then again, it could just be me becoming lazy to shift as I get older

Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
The new 911 is more luxurious and refined, but still a pleasure a drive for the enthusiast. My only criticism to this is Porsche's marketing attempts to get a wider audience and buyer. Take a look at these pics and look at the driver and who's hand is on the touch screen nav:

And there's definitely nothing wrong with having more female buyers. That's not my issue. I just really believe that the PDK could have been better: steering column mounted paddles, or some other "real" racing application/interface. This version of it seems to be soft and still directed at "tip" buyers.

Mag reviewers have mentioned that the PDK transmission is a blast. The few that have driven the new car are impressed with the car's performance, but are unimpressed with the steering wheel mounted gear selector, calling them counter-intuitive.

If I were to buy a new 911, I'd definitely go with a manual. Call me crazy, but I think the only 911 I'd get with PDK would be a Turbo Cab There's just something about the thought of having the top down at a stoplight and flooring it on someone that makes me laugh

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	997-chickcar.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	72651  
Old 06-20-2008, 05:14 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
The manual has almost reached its limit, the PDK is already faster, more comfortable and has a much bigger potential for the future (efficiency, speed, safety). Its only a matter of time till manuals get totally replaced by dual clutch or other systems imho.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Porschedeisgn is infamous around these parts
i dun think they will be replaced.. the manual will still have its fans but i think the car sales will pick up... most pple stuck to the tiptronic but the idea of it being less engaging and Slower turned some pple off..for this reason some pple might buy an m3 or an rs4... ]

the Smg in the //m offers sporty feel yet easier drive w/o the clutch.. i think this is what pdk offers..

gt3s and gt2 have long being the envy of many.. but the manual is abit of a turn off esp on congested roads.. i find pdk on the gt3s and gt2 will make the car more accessible..

Old 06-20-2008, 08:03 AM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
If the car had paddle shifters then I might have been persuaded... but alas' it looks like MT all the way.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 AM
awcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the rough
NO, MT all the way. If PDK's the wife might want to drive it.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
I think it depends on how you are plannign on using the car.

If it is going to be used to commute and for a large amount of driving then PDK is defiently the better way to go.

Fuel economy is improved and it is generally goign to be eaiser and more pleasurable to drive and according to all the figures faster as well.

If however you plan on only dusting off on a sunny day or the weekend to go for a great drivign experience then the manual would for me at least hold the most attraction

Anyway a first drive of the 997 2008 test to help you decide here
http://cars.uk.msn.com/Reviews/artic...mentid=8617308

Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 AM
neilwight is infamous around these parts
as a concept it seems to have many advantages however porsche seem to have missed the mark with the interface IMHO. as mentioned above, i also share the opinion that it appears to just be too soft and this would make it a deal breaker for me. had it been given a more aggressive edge then i think for many it would have been on the option list without much consideration at all and would have marked the end of manual transmission.

theres no actual reason PDK integration has to be unengaging or any more remote than a regular manual transmission, anytime one watches motorsport with a car with a similar type interface it doesnt look dull or like its removing feel or control however it definately seems like at the moment it will still remain as such....sadly.
perhaps the future will see no manual transmission offered but simply a regular interfaced PDK like we see now and a "race/motorsport" style interfaced PDK with either column mounted paddles or a full size gear stick and a much more aggressive integration.
we can always keep our fingers crossed though i sometimes wake up sweating in the night over where porsche is taking us and what they see the future as being.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i'd have to drive it to make a final determination - else it's all conjecture at this point
Agreed.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by spyder997s
The few that have driven the new car are impressed with the car's performance, but are unimpressed with the steering wheel mounted gear selector, calling them counter-intuitive.
I wonder if Porsche may be leaving the paddle shifters for the more extreme models like the GT3 for right now. Porsche almost seems to be making the Carrera a much easier going car for everyday use (and appealing to a larger buying pool) and leaving more extreme models to be just that- more extreme (and targeted to enthusiasts). Looks to be very similar to what is happening to the M3 (doesn't this car have button shifters on the steering wheel?). Started of lean and exteme and in the current generation is more of a very capable GT.

Would it be possible for a tuner to create an aftermarket steering wheel with paddle shifters on it instead of the button shifters?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To PDK or not to PDK? What do you all think?