997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

how much is 25k miles worth to you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:44 AM
bitterazn is infamous around these parts
how much is 25k miles worth to you?

I've been following 2005 997 prices for a few months now. I'm pretty sure this is the first dealer-offered 997S I've seen offered at <$50k. http://www.specialtysales.com/2005-p...997-c-1565.htm

At 51k miles, this has obviously been well used. I'm sure this will get a bunch of "walk away at any price" posts which are fine but not really constructive for those of us looking for a bargain.

My question is, how much less would you pay for a 997 w/ 50k miles on it? (Let's assume the going price for a non-high mileage car is $60k, the rough price for a solid 997S right now.)

I would guess ~$5-6k, because that's the discount base 997's w/ 50k miles sell for relative to typical 25k cars. But then again, maybe buyers aren't fully pricing in the higher maintenance/lower resale value that will entail . . .

Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Over 50K miles --I would say that one has to know the previous owner .
From a used car lot --very risky. No warranty plus high miles could make the car a potential money pit .

Whatever one saves getting in --he can eat in expenses with repair .

Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I know guys in the local PCA with over 100,000 miles on the 993 and 996 (as well as other Porsches), and if they are properly maintained I would say that it could go beyond that. I read in this months Excellence Magazine that older 911's can go 500,000 without a rebuild. If a 997 can do the same, I would say you have about 90% left of the car. A car with that much milage has been driven (the way it should be) and probably hasn't spent much time in the shop (that is a good thing). The question is what do you think it is worth? If you could get it for below $50, I say take it and drive it.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Destiny is infamous around these parts
kbb provides used car prices based on mileage... check it out! it will give you some sort of idea

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
If you could get it for below $50, I say take it and drive it.
second that

Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Over 50K miles --I would say that one has to know the previous owner .
From a used car lot --very risky. No warranty plus high miles could make the car a potential money pit .

Whatever one saves getting in --he can eat in expenses with repair .
Aren't these things that should be vetted out in PPI? Also keep in mind this just had its 40k service.

Last edited by bitterazn; 06-23-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by bitterazn
Aren't these things that should be vetted out in PPI? Also keep in mind this just had it's 40k service.
of course the maintenance history has to be checked... and maybe you don't know the driver but a clear carfax report is always nice in this case... a bad driver will probably damage the car too, so...

Old 06-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Destiny
kbb provides used car prices based on mileage... check it out! it will give you some sort of idea
Thanks for the tip, although I notice w/ these automated sources that they can be inconsistent. For example, KBB takes a ~$6-8k haircut whereas Edmunds only takes $2-3k one.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
what is piece of mind worth? spend a little more and get a cpo. sometimes cars that end up at used car lots are rejected by a dealer for a reason. if the car has a full documented service history, i'd personally feel a little better. at any rate, $.25 per mile seems like a good barometer.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Furyionx is infamous around these parts
i paid for $56k for mine in AZ area eariler this year .... it has 34k miles when i picked it up
its a silver S model with few option but full dealer service record (its a private sell)

i will say under $50 for sure or you add little bit more you can fine something like mine

but the biggest problem i can see now is 50k miles just passed your warrenty
even the few month warenty left still does help a lot !!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:00 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
I'd much rather have a car that's been driven and enjoyed than one that spent most of its life in a garage. Provided the car has been serviced properly, the DME report is acceptable to you and it PPI's OK then I wouldn't personally be worried about 50,000 miles. These cars are built to take more punishment than most and were made to be driven.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:11 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Get the service records, double and triple check everything and offer them 49,999.....then drive the SNOT out of it

I have put 12k miles on mine in less than 4 months heh heh heh....so miles dont matter to me!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
I have put 12k miles on mine in less than 4 months heh heh heh....so miles dont matter to me!
Good for you, I wish I had the time to do that much driving. I get to go for a mini road trip (Vancouver to Seattle) for a Track Day on Thursday with the PCA-PNWR. This will be my forth track day of the year (and second brake fluid change) so that should count for extra miles!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
In the following order:

1. make sure that the color and options are exactly what you'd be happy with.
2. check service records
3. PPI
4. acceptable DME
and you shall enjoy the car for many years to come

Old 06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Taiwanese is infamous around these parts
newby question......

what is DME?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how much is 25k miles worth to you?