997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

To PASM or NOT to PASM- That is the question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2008 | 12:36 AM
|
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
To PASM or NOT to PASM- That is the question...

I realize that this is a total "newbie" question but on a 997S set up is there a major difference to have PASM activated or not during daily driving???

My last car was a 6 Series 'Vert which had "DTC" which I gather is BMW's version of the PASM---so the question is - do you keep it on or off during "normal" (somewhat aggressive) driving and does it make a difference....??

I really could not tell with the Bimmer....

Do not flame me for asking....

Old 06-24-2008 | 12:45 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I leave my PASM in Normal, Sport is very stiff with the Dampteonics.

If you are refering to PSM I leave mine on all the time. The computer doesn't bother me.

Old 06-24-2008 | 07:12 AM
casaforte9 is infamous around these parts
I had a Cyamn S with PASM, PASM by default is in Normal mode which is very liveable and it adjusts ( stiffens/loosens ) on the fly depening on driver input and how hard it is driven and road conditions

I left PASM in normal mode most of the time because PASM - Sport is too stiff and bouncy for road use, it povides awesome handling but a punishing ride

When I get a Carrera and since I dont track cars I will not be getting PASM since for road use the std suspensions is supple enough and has enough handling capabilities

Old 06-24-2008 | 08:09 AM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
I think you're talking about PSM not PASM. PSM (Please Save Me) is the stability program that stops you going on gardening trips. PASM is the suspension system with adaptive dampers that on "S" models has two settings - normal and sport. DTC is a traction control system on BMW's that's similar to PSM.

If you really mean PSM then the answer is leave it on when on the road. You can try it off when at the track with a proper instructor in the car who can show you what happens and how to drive it with the system off. A wet skid patch is also a great way to learn what happens without damaging the car.

Old 06-24-2008 | 09:35 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Le Chef
I think you're talking about PSM not PASM. PSM (Please Save Me) is the stability program that stops you going on gardening trips. PASM is the suspension system with adaptive dampers that on "S" models has two settings - normal and sport. DTC is a traction control system on BMW's that's similar to PSM.

If you really mean PSM then the answer is leave it on when on the road. You can try it off when at the track with a proper instructor in the car who can show you what happens and how to drive it with the system off. A wet skid patch is also a great way to learn what happens without damaging the car.
+1 on the skid pad, as for turning it off while on the track, not sure all clubs will approve this. I am on my way to Seattle for a Track day with the PCA-PNWR, and they have a rule that you go at 45 degrees on 1 turn you get a warning, do it again and you go home.

Old 06-24-2008 | 09:35 AM
|
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
You are correct LeChef it is the button on the PCM that "beeps" and shows the triangle to let you know you are turning the system off- PSM- if that then is the "manual" on / off system PASM must be always present on 997S' but not the basic 997? I know its an "option" for the Carrera non S so when you order you it there is NO deactivating the PASM? Only the PSM?

Old 06-24-2008 | 12:02 PM
MelsM3 is infamous around these parts
PASM is always activated, either in "Normal" or in "Sport" modes.

I use "Normal" PASM about 55%-60% of the time.

My car also has the optional Sport Chrono Plus Package.

Old 06-24-2008 | 12:06 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
You can't de-activate an active suspension system. PASM = Porsche Active Suspension Management. It is always on. PASM is standard on "S" models and an option on base models

PSM = Porsche Stability Management can be switched off, but at your peril if you don't know what a 911 is like when it lets go...PSM is standard on all models.

Old 06-24-2008 | 12:14 PM
PASM ["Normal" mode] is not any stiffer than a non-PASM equipped 911.

PSM cannot be 100% turned off [Which helps the occupants and Porsche, if the "Sh*t Hits The Fan"].

Old 06-24-2008 | 12:23 PM
|
Originally Posted by MelsM3
PASM ["Normal" mode] is not any stiffer than a non-PASM equipped 911.

PSM cannot be 100% turned off [Which helps the occupants and Porsche, if the "Sh*t Hits The Fan"].
Interesting- I have been driving in Sport mode the last month (since I bought the car) and just switched it to "normal" the difference is pretty amazing- actually I am kind of used to the Sport mode- the Normal is more like my 6 series...

I was wondering if the PASM "normal" or "sport" changes the gear shift mapping on a Tiptronic to more or less aggressive shifts???

Old 06-24-2008 | 12:38 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
PASM normal for me most of the time.

PSM off for autocross. Worth 2 seconds on a 50ish second course.

PSM on for the track. Sport mode on as well.

Old 06-24-2008 | 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
Interesting- I have been driving in Sport mode the last month (since I bought the car) and just switched it to "normal" the difference is pretty amazing- actually I am kind of used to the Sport mode- the Normal is more like my 6 series...

I was wondering if the PASM "normal" or "sport" changes the gear shift mapping on a Tiptronic to more or less aggressive shifts???
PASM is only the shock absorber/strut settings.

On a non-modified 911, only the driver input or the Sport Chrono Plus Package [equipped 911], affect the Tiptronic S operation.

Old 06-24-2008 | 02:01 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by casaforte9
I had a Cyamn S with PASM, PASM by default is in Normal mode which is very liveable and it adjusts ( stiffens/loosens ) on the fly depening on driver input and how hard it is driven and road conditions

I left PASM in normal mode most of the time because PASM - Sport is too stiff and bouncy for road use, it povides awesome handling but a punishing ride

When I get a Carrera and since I dont track cars I will not be getting PASM since for road use the std suspensions is supple enough and has enough handling capabilities
exactly my thoughts. sports is way too jerky for normal day to day use.
i turn it on and turn off the stiffness. i like the extra power though.

Old 06-24-2008 | 10:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by MelsM3
PASM is only the shock absorber/strut settings.

On a non-modified 911, only the driver input or the Sport Chrono Plus Package [equipped 911], affect the Tiptronic S operation.
Thanks- I kind of wish I had the Sport mode (Sport/Chrono option) I really liked it on my 6er and although this car is tons more fun- that option with the Tip would have been ideal- that's OK - next car. I wanted to drive a P car again- (I had a 944 back in the late 80's) and see if i like it at my advanced age- 50-

I like it- and I will be getting another one after this- I do like this one- it is a kick in the ****....

I was driving today locally and my brother who is a VP of Tech at a rather large company here in Irvine pulled up to me- he was with a vendor in his schlock MB going to lunch- he pulled right up next to me- rolled down his window and said "is that my brother in that sharp looking car" I said "indeed it is"- launching that S 997 right there in Culver leaving my BRO and his Vendor in the dust..."

Oh what a feeling! oh crap! I think that one is TAKEN!