997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Intalling K&N FIPK on 05 997 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
Intalling K&N FIPK on 05 997 S

I recently ordered this intake from a board sponsor and I have a couple questions.

1) this is advertised as only for the 3.6l and 3.4l but i was assured this will work with the 3.8l is this correct?

2) There was a "change over valve" hooked up the oem intake with a line running into it, there's no place for it on this tube, nor is there anything mentioning it on the instructions.

Anyone who's installed this on a 3.8L please reply and post pics if possible.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:45 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
From what I have heard about the K&N cold air kit for the Carrera S I'd send it back and the get EVOMS cold air kit. The K&N is really not a cold air kit as it is sucking in hot engine compartment air. The EVOMS and your stock air box for that matter are cold air kits. The Koni Challege series Carrera's use the EVOMS kit.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
The 997S has a solenoid vacuum valve attached to the right side back of it's 3.8L airbox. The solenoid vacuum is grey in color and clips into a black clip on the right side of the rear of the OEM 3.8L airbox. There is a long black straw coming out of that solenoid valve that runs along the back of the OEM box, and connects to the Helmholz resonator on the left back side of the OEM box.
When removing the OEM airbox you must detach that solenoid vacuum from the OEM airbox (unclip it) and cap the part that was fitted to the long black straw with a rubber vacuum cap. Just buy a multi-pack of vacuum caps at your local AutoZone, and use the one that fits. They're black rubber, and look like a small finger about 1 inch long.

After capping it, use zip ties to secure the solenoid vacuum valve to the AC line, which is basically just securing it so it doesn't bounce around in your engine compartment and maybe get caught in the serpentine belt and cause issues. You just want to secure it safely out of harm's way.

All of this is explained in the instructions when you buy an EVOMS cold air intake. You can read it on their website under Support.

I recommend EVOMS. If you can, send your K&N back and get an EVOMS.
CATTMAN

Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chris_FL
I recently ordered this intake from a board sponsor and I have a couple questions.

1) this is advertised as only for the 3.6l and 3.4l but i was assured this will work with the 3.8l is this correct?

2) There was a "change over valve" hooked up the oem intake with a line running into it, there's no place for it on this tube, nor is there anything mentioning it on the instructions.

Anyone who's installed this on a 3.8L please reply and post pics if possible.
Just keep your stock box installed and maybe install an BMC filter element - the FIPK isn't going to do anything for performance.