997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Valentine V1 Detector issue/question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
RaDaRkInG is infamous around these parts
http://valentine1.com/FalseAlarms/

http://valentine1.com/lab/Previously7.asp

Laser False Alarms

Why am I getting laser alarms when I follow some cars?
- J.J., Michigan

Red neon is occasionally used for the CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) on new cars. We know of these models: GM Trailblazer and Envoy, the Lincoln Mk VIII and the latest BMW 3-series convertible.

These lights use a neon-plasma light source. The red lens allows red visible light to pass, and also invisible energy near infrared. The source is powered by a pulsating voltage on a frequency that happens to be similar to the repetition rate of legitimate laser-gun pulse trains. In other words, the CHMSLs have an invisible energy leakage that’s nearly identical to the beam used by traffic laser. If we suppress the interference, we’re likely to damage laser sensitivity.

Another source of alarms: a few new cars have cruise controls that use laser to measure distance to the car ahead. This feature is available on the Lexus LS430, Infiniti FX35, FX45, and QX56. This, of course, is real laser, not a false alarm.

http://valentine1.com/moreinfo/pdf/t...ng_pg27-28.pdf

http://valentine1.com/Moreinfo/pdf/V...al_2008-i8.pdf

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...threadid=21599

Mike Valentine goes by the name "W8MM" and is a member of this forum and this is his take on the laser falsing.

"The Trailblazer/Envoy thing is caused by neon in the CHMSL. It's a tough nut to crack. The ignition repetition rate is in the many kHz range, which is far outside the normal laser gun rate. However, there is a "squegging" of the neon plasma that occurs at a hundreds-per-second rate that fools the laser detection circuits, since these events repeat in the expected time range for police laser pulses. We're working on this (and have been for years), but there's nothing to report as yet.

A growing-bigger problem now seems to be laser assisted "Intelligent" cruise controls on Infinity FX35, FX45, and QX56 SUVs. What a PItA. They perfectly replicate laser speed-gun signals. We're working on that one, too!"

Last edited by RaDaRkInG; 07-02-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
good info, useless solutions by Valentine, especially when someone else has the intelligent cruise control and "move away from source."

Old 07-03-2008, 04:45 PM
sclemmons is infamous around these parts
I'd rather have a few known false positives than miss a real threat.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
edonmez is infamous around these parts
V1 is the best radar detector, unfortunately, it is not perfect

Old 07-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
The v1 is not useless. It's about the best out there for radar. But the reality is that more and more cops use laser, and no "detector" is worth much when it comes to radar.

In areas where cops use radar: set your v1 to full logic mode. There will still be some false positives, but when the threat is real, like on a highway, I get nearly 1 mile warning before I see smokey hiding.

In areas (such as Atlanta, where I live) cops use only laser. For laser, simple detection is worthless, as once you "detect" laser, it means you've been hit- you, your car, and your speed, are now in smokey's hands. So your v1 goes berzerk, and all there is to do at this point is pull over.

To combat laser, you need an "always on" solution. I personally use the M25 Blinder Extreme. I've got 2 units (M25 is 2 units, M45 is 4 units) in my front grill. It is always on. There is a small light and speaker in my cockpit. When I get "hit" with laser, meaning I've been singled out and smokey is looking at me through his peephole, he gets nothing. No reading at all. It's like a cloaking device. But smokey doesn't like that, he gets suspicious. So once I get "hit" with his laser, the speaker of my M25 unit signals me, the light turns red, and I either downshift or hit the brakes, until I get close the speed limit. At that point I hit the "off" switch on my M25, mounted discreetly under my steering column, which turns off my cloaking device, and allows smokey to get my speed, which is now at the limit.

The pair (v1 and Blinder Extreme) work really well together. I've got my v1 hardwired, mounted at the top of my windshield to the right of my rearview mirror. I bought it from Valentine for MSRP, $399. Hardwiring cost $75 at my dealership. My M25 Blinder Extreme was $700 installed- it's an involved and lengthy install, so nearly 40% of the cost was labor.
CATTMAN

Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I am an avid Valentine V1 user for the last 15 years. I have had the same unit all these years but sent it into Valentine 6 years or so ago for an update. The Valentine V1 really works!

I travel for my job and am in rental cars everyweek. Is there a portable laser jammer and or laser and radar jammer that actually works? Back in 2001 I bought the Phazer radar jammer and I had a radar gun so I tested it and it did not jam the radar gun.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Due to the precision with which blinder units are mounted (typically inside the front grill, I would doubt that a portable (car-to -car) model exists, and if it did, I'd be suspicious of it's effectiveness. In any case, I've not heard of such a unit.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
Just got word that my V1 was defective for radar. Just paid $85 for upgrade to POP, which is supposed to increase sensitivity for other radar bands as well.

As far as Laser - unit was working, no explanation for laser alarms.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Glad you've gotten it resolved. Since most companies' products become obsolete as technology evolves, (much of that evolution is in fact designed obsolescence) I continue to be impressed with Valentine's ability to adapt and offer meaningful version upgrades to owners, at a fee much lower than a new device would require.

Kudos to Valentine.
CATTMAN

Old 07-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
V1 Issue

In response to the V1 issue post, I had similar issue with my Passport. Check the location of your power cord. If it crosses over the unit, either above or below, it will set off the detector intermitantly. Try re-routing the power cord so it does not directly pass over or under the unit. Another issue that will create the same problem is locating it to close any other power source in car. Friend of mine had the same issue when he put it in the storage tray in his Pontiac which was located just under the cigarete lighter. My belief is that small electrical spikes on the wiring where being picked up by the detector. While I can't confirm this as the cause, I can tell you that both problems went away perminently after moving the detectors away from the source of the disturbance.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Rthomson is infamous around these partsRthomson is infamous around these parts
Regarding your M25 Blinder Extreme, do you have 2 laser sensors in the front and 2 in the back? Also, the on/off switch under your steering column, is that your doing or is that how they come when you buy the unit? I'm thinking of combining one of these units with the V1 like you have.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
I have a V1. But it's over guys. Everyone is going laser and it can't protect you for that. Laser jammers is the only option and it's illegal where I live so.....

Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM
RaDaRkInG is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gomez
I have a V1. But it's over guys. Everyone is going laser and it can't protect you for that. Laser jammers is the only option and it's illegal where I live so.....
...it's time to get the Laser Interceptor laser jammer because a speeding ticket is more expensive than what you will receive if you are caught with the Laser Interceptor in California. If you are caught with less than 4 laser jammers, it is an infraction. If you are caught with more than 4 laser jammers, it is a misdemeanor.

http://guysoflidar.com/july-2008/laser-jammer-test.html

California laser jammer laws:

http://guysoflidar.com/california-la...mmer-laws.html

In California, Laser Jammers are illegal.

Source: California Vehicle Code, Section 28150
(Also available from http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/)

Jamming: Electronic Speed-Measuring Devices

28150. (a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.

(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 493, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:17 PM
printemps2001 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Size
Question: What would cause this radar detector to alarm that laser was detected, without any laser guns being seen by me (this even happened while stopped at a light)?

Or, not pickup a laser gun (saw the cop with the gun on the right side of the road aiming at traffic)?

Similar issue with radar too.

My little test: I have two BMWs (7 series) both of which have special locations for the detector to be placed. These issues occur consistently in these two cars (some locations are worse - doesn't detect the radar signal due to the metallic properties of the windshield) and in my P-car too.

I'm calling Valentine tomorrow to see if they've heard of this issue.

Any of you experience similar issues with the V1?

-Size
I personally found the V1 to be completely useless. Since the thing went off constantly (even when settings were adjusted), I just turned it off. Of course that is as good as not having it, with the added bonus of getting to look at the ugly aftermarket thing. I called Valentine and they were of zero help. I just sent it back.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
The detector is doing what it's designed to do, and the V1 is the best of the bunch. If it's not working contact Mike Valentine and ask him what to do next. It may need an upgrade.

New forms of laser guided cruise control will trigger the detector - any detector with laser detection. You will also get the same result from the newer lane departure and blind spot detection systems on either other vehicles but also your own vehicle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Valentine V1 Detector issue/question