997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Valentine V1 Detector issue/question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
Valentine V1 Detector issue/question

Question: What would cause this radar detector to alarm that laser was detected, without any laser guns being seen by me (this even happened while stopped at a light)?

Or, not pickup a laser gun (saw the cop with the gun on the right side of the road aiming at traffic)?

Similar issue with radar too.

My little test: I have two BMWs (7 series) both of which have special locations for the detector to be placed. These issues occur consistently in these two cars (some locations are worse - doesn't detect the radar signal due to the metallic properties of the windshield) and in my P-car too.

I'm calling Valentine tomorrow to see if they've heard of this issue.

Any of you experience similar issues with the V1?

-Size

Old 07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Addendum: Doesn't always (inconsistent) pickup radar signs either ("Your speed is..").
It does pickup the radar drones (electronic construction sign look alike).

Old 07-01-2008, 07:09 PM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
you know that's weird, I've been having the same issue. I get the laser alert like off and on off and on. More so with the top up. This is becoming more and more a distraction

Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
if you're behind someone with LEDs, it'll trigger it.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Speedoflight - makes sense, but this wasn't the case - no brake lights were on in front or to the side of me. Today, travelling on interstate 78, no one in front of me, laser alert goes off for about 10 seconds continuously. No police cars (marked or unmarked) on sides or behind me, anywhere. Plane?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
i don't think they can get you from the air with laser. the signal has to measure reflection. the aimer has to be stationary. someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

perhaps you have a bad v1 if it's inconsistent even on the radar bands. or maybe your tint is causing some inconsistencies on the radar bands. are your arrows tracking on real signals?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM
arrows do track properly when it has an alert.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:45 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I was having the same issue with mine. The laser would go off for no reason. Than it lost sensitivity to regular radar too. I had to send it in for repair. Better watch it, you'll be driving thinking you are protected, but your not.

Neil

Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I already think I'm not protected.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:38 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Some of those newer model Chevy Trailblazers and similar cars with park distance control and cruise control sets the laser off. I notice it every time I'm behind one of these cars. But it sounds like yours is defective. Better get it checked out.

As for not picking up certain radar, check out your settings. You may have Pop Ka turned off. The valentine one website can guide you on how to do this.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 PM
judgejon has a spectacular aura aboutjudgejon has a spectacular aura about
the valentine in my '79 911SC would occasionally sound off with a laser alert when I used the windshield washer.... go figure...

Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 AM
If you look at the Valentine website, they mention reflection of Sun can cause issues with laser detection (false alerts too). So, given the combination of LED taillights, backup sensors, etc. the Sun and various reflections off glass, water (windshield washer fluid), some of this sounds logical to affect a detectors ability to recognize laser. On the radar band issues that I'm facing, no explanation I can think of.

I will submit my unit for diagnostic as I believe there is something wrong with it. On the POP Ka band, my unit requires the upgrade for POP, at present no band is turned off.

Thanks everyone for your insights.

-Ian

Old 07-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
The headlights on Infiniti FX cars sets mine off every time.

Interesting about the Trailblazers and such - will have to pay more attention.,

Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
lon5491 is infamous around these parts
Size:

Buy a passport! Seriously, nice time at Oak Beach, Can't PM due to lack of posts

Old 07-02-2008, 03:19 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
I had the same problem with an Infiniti FX behind me but I didn't know it was the headlights.

I assumed it was either the cruise that will maintain a distance between cars or the out of lane indicators that the Infinitis have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Valentine V1 Detector issue/question