997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cheap Way to Get Some Leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:56 AM
nullspace is infamous around these parts
Cheap Way to Get Some Leather?

I'm currently choosing options for my 2009 order, and I've got a couple weeks left to nail it down. Sure it's an expensive car, but I like to save money where possible. I want some of the leather options, but full leather just seems overpriced.

Does anyone know if I can get a few of the pieces as loose parts and throw them on myself? The important bits to me are the sides of the center console (where your knees rest), and the top trim on the door. I could probably live without the rest.

Would I save money that way?

Old 07-05-2008, 12:38 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
kill a cow

Old 07-05-2008, 12:44 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
If you believe some Porsche options are overpriced (and they are) and you're trying to save money (and who doesn't) then I must submit that you might look at another vehicle. I'm only joking . . . . This is the only vehicle!

Most Porsche buyers/owners bite the bullet and pay the price. It's been my experience that Porsche people will buy the marque (and most factory options) at any cost.

When it comes to obsession . . . . . It's hard to put a price limit on it.

The Full leather option (I trust you mean seats, dash, etc) makes the interior so much more refined and inviting. Not to mention the wonderful aroma of new leather. I personally wouldn't get carried away with adding door panels, PCM, console, seat backs, etc. etc. They (IMHO) do really add up quickly regarding price. They certainly look and feel nice but will only be noticed by the affectionado.

I envy your 2009 buy; Good Luck.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:30 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Neither of my 997's have had full leather, I looked at one and didn't see a big diference in the interior, I chose without on the first one, the second one didn't have it and I didn't care.

From what I have seen, these options have almost no value at trade/resale. If you can afford it, then buy it. Buy options like *** or PCCB before leather.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:48 PM
b911s is infamous around these parts
Actually for what you get with full leather you could never duplicate it for the same cost. Even the leather options which i did a decent amount on my car cant be done aftermarket for the same type of money. Especially when you consider the disassembly and reinstallation time and cost involved. defanitley makes a difference in the appearence of the interior. If your even debating on whether to get it or not, get it, or you will kick yourself in the **** everytime you look at it.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by nullspace
---I want some of the leather options, but full leather just seems overpriced.---Does anyone know if I can get a few of the pieces as loose parts and throw them on myself?
Don't do it. You'll save nothing.

Not a good way to start with a new vehicle.

If you feel they are too much $ or you can't afford them, work around them.

You'll also never match the color or pattern.

Garrett Leather is the best source (800-342-7738) but don't do it yourself!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Don't do it. You'll save nothing.

Not a good way to start with a new vehicle.

If you feel they are too much $ or you can't afford them, work around them.

You'll also never match the color or pattern.

Garrett Leather is the best source (800-342-7738) but don't do it yourself!
I wasn't suggesting that I buy custom made stuff. I was thinking I could just buy the parts from Porsche (Sunset Imports is always a good source). I would only want a few pieces: the upper door trim and the sides of the center console.

I was wondering if buying just those few pieces would be cheaper, and whether they would easily replace the plastic bits.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
There's no real way around it other than to opt for "standard" leather or pay the extra .
Of course one can buy a Turbo where full leather =stanard equipment . In fact a used 997tt will cost as much as a new C2S and it's one of many reasons I have been saying 997tt wins as Porsche du jour.

But if you must have the 09 C2S --
You could opt for standard leather and still love the car .

If you design this customized Porsche interior with a piece of leather here or there it's going to create alot of work and still NOT be the same had you just done the full deal right out of the box .

Old 07-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
There's no real way around it other than to opt for "standard" leather or pay the extra .
Of course one can buy a Turbo where full leather =stanard equipment . In fact a used 997tt will cost as much as a new C2S and it's one of many reasons I have been saying 997tt wins as Porsche du jour.

But if you must have the 09 C2S --
You could opt for standard leather and still love the car .

If you design this customized Porsche interior with a piece of leather here or there it's going to create alot of work and still NOT be the same had you just done the full deal right out of the box .
I think I will just go with full leather, but if you can show me where to get a 997tt for the same price as a C2S, I'd love to see it.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
If you plan to hold onto your car for along time, and you value leather, then you should go for it.

However, if you have a history of trading out cars often (I am about 1 car per year) then it's not worth it.

If budget is a factor, keep in mind that you have found yourself to 6speedonline, and that means that you will no doubt soon be spending money on mufflers, headers, ECU flash, sport cats, cold air kits, wheels, tint, etc.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I think I will just go with full leather, but if you can show me where to get a 997tt for the same price as a C2S, I'd love to see it.

A stock 07 997tt used will run about 110K with less than 7K miles.

There's one in the for sale section asking 119500 and it has ceramic brakes and 3K mi and new the MSRP was near 150K.

In fact here's one which went as low as 104K . (see post 13)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=135859

A C2S with full leather, PDK, Nav m and a few other goodies may actually cost more than a Turbo (used) . MSRP on the c2S will break 100 if it has enough options .

Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
A stock 07 997tt used will run about 110K with less than 7K miles.

There's one in the for sale section asking 119500 and it has ceramic brakes and 3K mi and new the MSRP was near 150K.

In fact here's one which went as low as 104K . (see post 13)
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=135859

A C2S with full leather, PDK, Nav m and a few other goodies may actually cost more than a Turbo (used) . MSRP on the c2S will break 100 if it has enough options .
Fair enough.

I'm getting my C2S at a nice discount, and I'm only getting the options I need for the track - no PDK or nav for me! Ok ok, I'll probably get some other stuff too. Gotta have Bose right? I can't wait.

Full leather it is.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
If budget is a factor, keep in mind that you have found yourself to 6speedonline, and that means that you will no doubt soon be spending money on mufflers, headers, ECU flash, sport cats, cold air kits, wheels, tint, etc.
I think I might have caught the modding bug on this forum!

Old 07-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Fair enough.

I'm getting my C2S at a nice discount, and I'm only getting the options I need for the track - no PDK or nav for me! Ok ok, I'll probably get some other stuff too. Gotta have Bose right? I can't wait.

Full leather it is.

You can't lose with any of these cars , The decision on options/price/model --comes down to personal taste and often the debates are like splitting hairs .

Glad you opted for the leather . Best wishes with the car.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Called Sun Coast today because I want to leather up the car a bit - will probably keep it for a while. They can order a Porsche OEM dash (my car is new) and it will look and feel just like stock. Only issue is the cost but frankly its a lot cheaper then buying another Targa

Gosh the mod bug is killing me.. will post experience and pictures on Saturday.

Joe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheap Way to Get Some Leather?