997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

X-51 Headers vs Stock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
X-51 Headers vs Stock

Have heard a lot about the differences, but until now, haven't seen a side by side shot of X51 vs stock headers. Note too that the '09 997 uses headers of equal length, similar to the X51. If you're pursuing mods and more hp, looks like this is just too easy NOT to do.

Cheers,
Gundo

Old 07-06-2008, 06:08 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It almost seems as if Porsche has tried to de-tune the engine.

Thanks for the side by side shot

Old 07-06-2008, 08:49 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
If I was doing headers I'd do Fabspeed or AWE.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
It almost seems as if Porsche has tried to de-tune the engine.

Thanks for the side by side shot
Ed: FYI, those headers are mine. I posted the photo on RennTech in a similar discussion. I like the sound with the headers and PSE, and I like being able to make it quiet if I want to.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
I did Evoms on my 997S . It worked well and mated with the Tubi.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Ed: FYI, those headers are mine. I posted the photo on RennTech in a similar discussion. I like the sound with the headers and PSE, and I like being able to make it quiet if I want to.
congrats on the new headers, now all you need is some high flow cats, and your car will sound awesome.

thanks for posting side by side photo's.

Ed

Old 07-07-2008, 02:50 AM
MelsM3 is infamous around these parts
I'll try hard to ignore this thread and think about my future '10 911 C2S Coupe.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums

is there a big difference between x-51 and awe headers?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:44 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
I haven't seen where anyone has compared them on a dyno.

I would consider AWE's an equal length tuned header which should yield more power than the X-51 header. My opinion. How much more I am not sure.

The general consensus at the time was the x-51 headers was the best bang for the buck. You do need to grind the welds at the manifold on the x-51headers though for improved flow.

Before I put my AWE headers and Cats on I was perfectly satisfied with E-bay headers I got for $200.00 with the rest being stock.

Had I not bought a used AWE system I would have left the E-bay headers on and just bought AWE Cats.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:59 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
congrats on the new headers, now all you need is some high flow cats, and your car will sound awesome.

thanks for posting side by side photo's.

Ed
I'm still not clear on the legality of 200 cell cats. Will they pass California's smog test? Or do folks change them to stock for the test? How expensive are they?

Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Hey Ken - thanks for posting these - should've noted the cross post...

Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
My local dealership's service dept is very helpful with helping customer's mod their cars. They showed me the x-51 and AWE headers, side by side. The AWE is an impressive piece of metalwork- totally smooth, clean welds. The x-51 is downright messy in comparison, with sloppy welds, etc. They said they recommend the AWE even though their parts dept. doesn't make a penny on them.

No idea if that sloppy vs neat makes any performance difference though. And the price difference is substantial. That all makes it hard to determine which is better choice overall.
CATTMAN

Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I'm still not clear on the legality of 200 cell cats. Will they pass California's smog test? Or do folks change them to stock for the test?
The answer to that question is that it depends.

AWE does not certify their headers, cats, or exhaust as being CARB compliant. However, a few people have passed smog in CA with that exact set up.

If you get the avg. smog test worker and he doesn't know to look, you'll pass the "sniff" test with flying colors. However, if you get someone that knows enough to put the car up and starts poking around... you might have a problem.

My guess is that 99.9% of CA owners who go into a smog with the car properly warmed up and no CEL... they'll pass no problem.