997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wax??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
test

Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
If u feel the car and your hand drags, u need to clay. I use Pro Yellow Wax. Its old but I feel its the best. Every car I have owned is black. (dumb a$$) It lasts the longest,gives depth, and no streaks. Apply when car is cool. I read into the p-car at 19 inches. I also have a lacquer car that I can read 23 inches. Between washes and waxing I use Griots Speed Shine. I had my doubts, but its good for a quick buzz through. Cattman is correct with this,Warning: a totally different obsession.
Jim

Old 07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Cattman
Let me try to explain:

-After performing all the paint correction needed (wash, clay, wash, multi-stage polish as necessary), you need to apply something to protect the paint. You can use a wax (typically carnauba), or a synthetic polymer sealant. Waxes and sealants are sometimes referred to in the detailing world as "toppers", as they are the final step in the paint detail process- they "top" your paint.

Waxes do not last as long as sealants, but waxes have in the past looked better than sealants (sealants used to look plasticky whereas carnauba waxes tended to look very deep). Today that's not the case as there are sealants that look as good if not better than waxes. But you must use one or the other- a wax or a sealant, to "top" your paint.

My favorite carnauba waxes include Souveran and P21S (100% carnauba formula).

My favorite synthetic polymer sealants include: Zaino and Menzerna FMJ.

Both Zaino and Menzerna make a full line of paint detailing products, such as polishes, etc.

Someone asked about leather. The Zaino leather cleaner, and Zaino leather conditioner is the best I've found for easy and regular use. Gives that "baseball glove" smell. Totally addictive, and so easy to use. While I am on the subject of Zaino, their tire dressing is terrific, too, as it just makes the tires black, not blingy shiney. And it lasts a long time in all conditions. And also Zaino's "quick detail" spray is awesome, as is their car wash shampoo. Can you tell I like Zaino?

Now, to further confuse you, you can prep your paint (do all the cleaning, polishing, etc.) and then seal it with Zaino or Menzerna FMJ, let that cure for 24 hours, and then apply a coat of a carnauba. Totally not necessary, but some like that look. You cannot, however, put a sealant on top of a carnauba. Got that?

See, I told you it's a wormhole. If you really want to learn about all of this, check out www.autopia.org. You'll see me over there.
CATTMAN
Great stuff Cattman- and believe it or not- I think I even understand what you are saying...since I already bought some Zymol I will apply after I do the Zaino "process- the carnuba OVER the Zaino as you have suggested...

Thanks-

SD

Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM
EdoctaT is infamous around these parts
Turtlewax Ice... I know, it's very cheap, but I find it quite good and easy to apply.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
Great stuff Cattman- and believe it or not- I think I even understand what you are saying...since I already bought some Zymol I will apply after I do the Zaino "process- the carnuba OVER the Zaino as you have suggested...

Thanks-

SD

Glad to be of service.
A couple of notes:

1) Zaino: go LIGHT on the Zaino. Seriously, using too much is the most common Zaino error. Go light, lighter than you can imagine. A tiny bit can do the entire car. I've made this mistake myself, wound up with a streaky uneven car, called Sal Zaino, only to have him cuss at me for using too much, "You used too much, JackA$$!"

2) My bet is you'll skip the Zymol topper once you see how good the Zaino looks. You may be obsessed like I am and go for the Zymol topper, but I doubt it. If you do, keep in mind the Zymol in the hot summer sun will disappear really quickly. But you'll still have the solid long-term Zaino protection underneath.

3) You're going to need to maintain your shine. So when after you clean your car (with Zaino shampoo and a top quality lambswool glove, 2 buckets, grit guards, etc.) you can add a spray layer of either Zaino Z8 (if your topper is Zaino) or Zymol field glaze if your topper is Zymo. The Z8 adds a touch of luster, and boosts longevity. But don't put it on top of a carnauba. If your top layer is the Zymol, you can spritz with their field glaze, or even better, Souverain Crystal Mist.

No why, you are asking yourself, didn't you just take the blue pill?
CATTMAN

Old 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
cattman that's really help thank you so much

Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Cattman-

I will let you know the results...with some pics.

Cheers-

SD

Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
bobbyo is infamous around these parts
what about eagle 1 nanowax? I just bought a bottle today, but haven't had time to wash my car.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Eagle 1 makes good products. Not my personal favorites, but they are good. As I said originally, it's 80% technique and 20% product.
When you get to it this weekend, take some snaps and post them, or PM them to me, I'd love to see your results!
CATTMAN

Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Cattman, I have been using Menzerna FMJ and I love how slick it is and the fact it is a sealant so I figured it would last longer than a carnuba wax. I find that after a couple of washes and I use Mequires Gold soap that is very mild) that the Menzerna losses it's slick protective feeling. I have also tried RejeX too and found about the same thing but RejeX never felt as slick as FMJ from the beginning anyway.

So I tried out a product I use on my boat. Starbrite Polish with Teflon. Before a 2 day track event I used it on the front bumper, hood and lower sides and rear bumper. I have since washed the car 3 times and it still feels slick...not as slick as when 1st put on but slicker after 3 washes than the other products.

Thoughts and opinions?

Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah, the FMJ is really slick, but I agree it loses the "slippery feel" quickly, although the shine and protection remain really strong. What hurts Menzerna FMJ (Full Molecular Jacket- kind of a cool name) is that their QD (quick detailer) product, Acrylic Shield, stinks- I've yet to avoid streaks with it.

So what I do to maintain the "slick feeling" of the FMJ after a wash is I either "top" my paint with P21S 100% carnauba, or spritz the car (using a PakShak microfibre) with Zaino Z8 or Z6. The Z8 adds some protection, while the Z6 is really just a very slick QD spray.

Please remember that anytime you pass a surface along your paint's surface, as in a microfibre along your paint, you're looking at introducing new swirls- so be careful, use great, clean microfiber (like PakShak- if you buy here tell Ranny Pak that I sent you), change to a fresh microfiber more often than you think necessary, and don't push hard.

If there are any people in ATL interested in a detailing session, including paint correction multi-stage polishing, I'd be happy to host one.
CATTMAN

Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 AM
slowrey is infamous around these parts
My favorite is P21S hands down however it's not ultra long lasting but it is easier to put on than anything I've ever used.

On a side note, I used P21S forever and then someone told me about the Harley dealerships sell the exact same product with a different label and it's $14.00 a jar. I now use that with the same results.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 AM
The Motorcycle version is P100, and it is slightly different, supposedly.

However, if you like P21S, you should try their new formula, which is 100% pure Brazilian carnauba. It's the first carnauba to ever get to 100% content. It's just as easy to use, and the depth and shine are unreal, and it lasts longer. Of course, durability in ATL (sun, heat- especially on a black car) is relative. But because it's so easy to use, I have no problem doing a coat monthly. Keep in mind this is on top of Menzerna FMJ!