997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

HELP! My 997S was rear-ended! Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:14 PM
mike2150 is infamous around these parts
Angry HELP! My 997S was rear-ended! Thoughts?

Guys,

My 2005 Carrera S was rear-ended last week. At fault driver nailed me going around 40ish mph, maybe faster. I was at a dead standstill. Force of the impact pushed me into the large trailer hitch ball of the SUV in front of me. Nice round hole in my front bumper. Car held up remarkably well, I was impressed, but it is nicely crumpled in the back. No air bag deployment but the seat tensioners fired off - god awful gunpowder smell in the interior. A bit of a sore back and neck but hopefully this is the extent of it. Car would turn over but not start. I am hoping this car will be totaled as it will never be the same.

Anyone had any similar experiences? Are the rear-ends of these cars a lot stronger than I think they are? What are the chances of it being totaled?

Biggest tragedy is I took almost a year finding this "perfect one" and only had it for 6 weeks...

Old 07-13-2008, 06:58 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
1) Sore back =your health which comes first = trip to physician and litigation attorney

2) You will probably not have the car "totalled" and even if you did there is a gap between the retail and wholesale price giving you two choices : a) fix it ( as a highly skilled body shop) and drive it or b) sell or trade it .

My vote goes to choice b as you will always remember that hit and selling it would take a negative and make it an immediate positive .

Glad you weren't badly injured.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:03 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, especially after taking so long in finding the car of your choice. It is a jungle out there, and I thank my lucky stars for not having had to deal with this situation.....yet. Good luck in resolving it to your satisfaction. It will definitely be expensive for the insurance company.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear it. Major drag waiting all that time for the pefect car.

I'm guessing that if you got hit that hard, your motor moved on its mounts - it is very difficult to tell what may have happened to tranny and motor. I'd get some great pictures of above and below the motor for comparison.

Estimators that don't know these cars underestimate the cost to repair - once the body shop starts ripping stuff apart to repair, the bill goes higher and higher, and may indeed be a total.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 PM
mike2150 is infamous around these parts
Re: Rear-ended 997S

Thanks for the replies. I did go to Dr. and checked out ok as symptoms are "normal" but I am a little worried that back/neck injuries often show up weeks/months down the road. I do plan on speaking with an attorney.

Agree that it may not be totalled. Also agree that if it is not I should probably sell it as I will always have that negative impression of the rea-ended car in my head. Would probably take your advice and sell it to look for a similar model. That being said, anyone have any idea how to figure out what the diminished value should be?

What would you pay for an excellent condition 2005 Carrera S, chrono, full leather, bose, adaptive xenons, sport seats, with 19k miles, signed by Hurley Haywood as a limited edition that was rear-ended and had front bumper damage/repair? If car is worth roughly low to mid $60's before the accident what would you all pay once it was repaired?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Hi Mike,
Here's some good news: you are in Atlanta, as am I. I've got all the local contacts you need to come out of this ahead. I know the best diminished value appraiser in the country (happens to be in ATL), my wife is a Chiropractor, I am pals with a litigator specializing in this stuff, and I've got 2 top of the line body-shops on my speed dial- but I doubt you'll need them.
There's a silver lining if you're willing to take all the steps and be patient. The bummer is you'll be in a rental car while it all gets sorted out. Depending on the ticket written to the guy who hit you, the extent of your injuries, etc., you might be leaving the 997 forum for the GT forum.
PM me.
CATTMAN

Old 07-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Cattman
Hi Mike,
Here's some good news: you are in Atlanta, as am I. I've got all the local contacts you need to come out of this ahead. I know the best diminished value appraiser in the country (happens to be in ATL), my wife is a Chiropractor, I am pals with a litigator specializing in this stuff, and I've got 2 top of the line body-shops on my speed dial- but I doubt you'll need them.
There's a silver lining if you're willing to take all the steps and be patient. The bummer is you'll be in a rental car while it all gets sorted out. Depending on the ticket written to the guy who hit you, the extent of your injuries, etc., you might be leaving the 997 forum for the GT forum.
PM me.
CATTMAN
Isn't this forum great?

Mike - I'm very sorry to hear of your misfortune but respectfully submit this: cars are only metal, glass and rubber. They can be readily repaired. People are much more fragile. Thank God that you are alright and that Porsche engineered these cars so well. A rear end collision while you are stopped and the other driver was going 40mph is a horrendous amount of force.

Take care, and again, thank God everyone is ok.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Mike,

I know what you are going through, I was rear ended last August 17, by a garbage truck and "punted" into a Honda Civic in front of me. I too was at a full stop, I can tell you almost a year later and many trips to the Chiropractor, Message Therapists, Physiotherapists, and my GP I am still dealing with the Headaches, lower and middle back pains, and a sore and stiff right trap. This is not fun at all! I hope that you don't have to deal with the side effects, if you do I find that Robax Platinum works for me.

As for my car, it suffered almost $30000 in damage and my insurance company fixed it, most of the energy was taken by the right main frame rail, as it was shortened by 1/2 inch. If the engine is hit you might be lucky and get it written off, as the engine is worth about $25000 (cdn) and would have put it over the top. Needless to say this car is long gone, everyone I spoke to, including the owner of the body shop and the top Porsche mechanic in Vancouver all said to get rid of it, it will never be the same!

I know that this is a major PIA, but I would hire the pro's to help you out, as insurance companies will try and screw you.

Good Luck.

Ed

Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
cephas is infamous around these parts
any pictures?
I am so sorry.....
I look at the mirror...when it is coming to hit me, I will either get off the car or drive away.... it happened to me and I ducked...

Old 07-14-2008, 03:27 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I had the very exact some incident on my 07 997S. Someone, without insurance, rear-ended my 07 997S on freeway. I was stopped, he was full speed. His car pushed my car to another car in front of me.

My airbags didn't deploy, but my seatbeat was tightened with an explosive smell. I was okay, but with a sored neck and back. My engine wouldn't start because the computer triggered a safe mode due to the O2 sensors (there are four on our car) were hit during the accident.

Turned out I was very luck, my car's exhaust system and the rear bumper took all the hit (Porsche builds a strong 997, I must say) and no engine/chassis/body damage. After a new rear bumper, new front bumper, whole new exhaust system all the way to the exhaust manifold, new catalytic converters, and a $17,000 bill (covered by insurance) the car looks and runs like brand new again.

You can see my full story thread and pictures here:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=425880

Best luck on yours,

With best regards,
- Alex.