997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 PCM wanted..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JBONDOx
it doesn't matter if it is bose or not, it is all about the coding and configuration... the bose amp is fiber optic input on the 08 997 ( I am assuming this is the vehicle in question) and i have removed at least the PCM and CDR in that vehicle... never under 5 minutes though... which makes me wonder if we are talking about the same vehicle...plus no screws hold the PCM/CDR in

Anyways I have a PCM handy
well thats what i use to think too. i took in my Bose configured PCM to my local dealership and they were unable to code it to non bose mode. the dealership and porsche NA representative both stated that the PCM"s come preconfigured from Harmon/Becker. the bose PCM part nuber is 997.642.143.x.x and the non-bose PCM is 997.642.141.xx.

when you use the bose PCM without the bose amp, there will be no sound coming from the PCM. the bose PCM's dont have the ananlog outputs configured to only the digital output will produce sound.

also, if you have a stock CDR24 or PCM... yes there is 1 bolt on the passenger side of the unit which secures it in place.

which part number do you have on your PCM?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:22 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
Them Posche techs can fix cars not audio... The MOST fiber optic ring to them is still a mystery.

You can reconfigure it to work. I have done it twice already when adding an aftermarket audio system. the head unit has almost a completely flat response on all channels from 20-20k... them Porsche guys need to code the gateway for no PCM... you will be fine

I will check later on what mine is.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Them Posche techs can fix cars not audio... The MOST fiber optic ring to them is still a mystery.

You can reconfigure it to work. I have done it twice already when adding an aftermarket audio system. the head unit has almost a completely flat response on all channels from 20-20k... them Porsche guys need to code the gateway for no PCM... you will be fine

I will check later on what mine is.
i left my car with the dealership for 2 days and they attempted to recode my bose PCM to my non-bose amp. they were unable to get any audio out coming from the analog portion of the PCM. in fact, even after they configured it to analog only.. the digital out was still sending audio signals. i confirmed it in another 997 which had a bose amp.

perhaps there is a method of recoding a bose pcm to non-pcm, but my dealership does not know how to do that.

Last edited by Daytonaviolet; 08-04-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM
you can code it for many of things... they were in PCM, you have to start one above it in the piwis tester with "GATEWAY"

I have done it before like I said... I even done more "stupider" stuff with the PCM's though I can't give away all my secrets...

Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 PM
you can code it for many of things... they were in PCM, you have to start one above it in the piwis tester with "GATEWAY"

I have done it before like I said... I even done more "stupider" stuff with the PCM's though I can't give away all my secrets...
perhaps you can PM me the details how to re-code a bose pcm to non-bose pcm. then i can give that information to my dealer. in the piwis tester, the dealer tried all the options to code it to non bose.. no luck.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:20 AM
gateway.... need to do it in gateway... then take out the amp also then repeat with PCM.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:02 PM
gateway.... need to do it in gateway... then take out the amp also then repeat with PCM.
can you provide more step by step instructions? have you coded yours this way?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 PM
have the porsche dealership do it in gateway, they will know, also change the vehicle spec to PCM, and do the cluster also. did a few for clients

Old 09-17-2008, 12:27 PM
have the porsche dealership do it in gateway, they will know, also change the vehicle spec to PCM, and do the cluster also. did a few for clients
1. gateway has be program to accept pcm
2. vehicle spec is changed to PCM
3. cluster now shows NAV

4.. but dealers says its IMPOSSIBLE to program a bose pcm to a non-bose pcm. that means if you have the analog amp, you will get no sound i've also contacted Hamman/Becker the guys who make the PCM. they said the bose pcm does not have the hardware internally to produce any analog outputs. thus programming it will not effet it.

unless you've done it before and you know more then what 2 bay area dealers know.. please speak up.

Last edited by Daytonaviolet; 09-17-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 PM
there is no way I was that lucky, and I just did a friends 08 with some Audison and Hertz audio gear, plus added Bluetooth and Sirius to it... iPod also, removed the factory BOSE amp and ran 4 twisted pair speaker wires from the PCM to a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 processor, to feed the amps

Damn I know what it is, I don't know if I can tell you but will check into it tomorrow if i am allowed to speaketh. it is very easy and the Porsche tech if they think hard and long for about 15 seconds will know.... hint and keyword is amp. I do know a company with a PIWIS development tool that can do it for you that I work with that maybe willling to help you out for a nominal fee. without the vehicle though I don't know if they can. and that is a lot of code to write for just one person.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
there is no way I was that lucky, and I just did a friends 08 with some Audison and Hertz audio gear, plus added Bluetooth and Sirius to it... iPod also, removed the factory BOSE amp and ran 4 twisted pair speaker wires from the PCM to a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 processor, to feed the amps

Damn I know what it is, I don't know if I can tell you but will check into it tomorrow if i am allowed to speaketh. it is very easy and the Porsche tech if they think hard and long for about 15 seconds will know.... hint and keyword is amp. I do know a company with a PIWIS development tool that can do it for you that I work with that maybe willling to help you out for a nominal fee. without the vehicle though I don't know if they can. and that is a lot of code to write for just one person.
the fact that you were able to get 4 twisted pair speaker wires from the PCM to drive an amp, leads me to think that perhaps it was a non-bose PCM to begin with. btw, what color was the bose amp?.. was it silver or black?

if you can really reprogram a bose pcm to a non-bose pcm, that would be great. its easier to find a bose pcm then a non-bose pcm.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Ygm...

Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 AM
cerquoni is infamous around these parts
Guys
What did you discover regarding the way to re-programming the BOSE-pcm to Non-BOSE-pcm?
Is it definitely possible or not?
I have the same problem now,
I'm looking for a NON bose PCM (part# 997.642.141.xx) but right now I found only BOSE-PCM (part# 997.642.143.xx).
Anyway,..Does anyone still have a NON-bose to sell?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:50 PM
i was unable to program a bose pcm into a non bose pcm. just keep looking, you'll find one eventually

Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Fernando, I experimented exactly the same problems you had. Talking to PCNA in Atlanta, they told me that the non bose has an internal amp and the bose doesn't. It's a hardware issue then, theoretically solvable but hardly money worthy.

The dealer at the time exchanged my unit (Bose) to a non bose unit for 1000. I thought it was a good deal at the time but the navigation is absolutely lame, the POI's are near useless, the maps are old, traffic is NOT available. Yes, I had the nav instructions (written and arrows) on the central panel replacing the RDS info.

I bought it to keep things OEM, but the price in the end was too much and I was lucky enough to sell it even. Aftermarket solutions are far better, but I have not seen a double din bezel that fits neatly or have all the round contours as the PCM or CDR 24. I know about euro or the jap bezel, they mismatch in color and fitting, more to some than others. The aftermarket units colors also don't match the dashboard. For instance a great unit like the Pioneer AVIC F 90 BT has a piano black finish that simply won't match anything in front of you.

I guess Porsche went cheapo with the finish of the MY 09, keeping everything black, I step back IMOP. I still prefer the volcano gray finish. But at least if one wants to get rid of the PCM 3 it will look better.

Good luck on your search.