997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

hating my steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 AM
nyc997cab is infamous around these parts
If anyone needs a 997s stock wheel with the round center, I have one for sale. PM me. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 AM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
I hate my stock steering wheels. As soon as I could on the 997S, I replaced it with a nice thicker one from FVD with tip paddles. The car was just easier to drive and felt much better with that upgrade. On the TT, I hate that st. wheel as well. But, I have promised myself to not do any mods on it, so I can save for a used GT2 in the future - yeah!!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by summoboy
I hate my stock steering wheels. As soon as I could on the 997S, I replaced it with a nice thicker one from FVD with tip paddles. The car was just easier to drive and felt much better with that upgrade. On the TT, I hate that st. wheel as well. But, I have promised myself to not do any mods on it, so I can save for a used GT2 in the future - yeah!!

But you probably won't like the steering wheel on the GT2! So you might as well get a nice steering wheel for the turbo, keep the stock turbo wheel for when you sell / or lease is up. Then, when you get the GT2 swap that wheel with the upgraded wheel.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by nyc997cab
I'm having the same issue. I did some snooping and found this guy. Looks really good but no core exchange so you're without a wheel for a while. www.aglausa.com He has a lot of options for thicker and custom wheels. VERY reasonable.
Highly recommend reading reviews on Rennlist about AGLA. The pictures posted will tell the story-buyer beware. You can see the responses from Alan Gun and decide if his way of running business is for you or not.

On a better note I have read good things about Dallas Custom Wheel regarding thicker padding and Alcantara covering-also on RL but I believe in the 993 or 993 turbo forum.

No connecton to either of these cats, just trying to help a fellow 6speeder.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...yle-wheel.html

Good Luck!

Last edited by MLindgren; 03-31-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: add thread link! Have a great day everybody!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 AM
colonel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dinorocz
I have an 08 with a multifunction wheel and ordered it with the thicker steering wheel option which i love. I just happened to redo the steering wheel on my grand cherokee and for $300 the guy did an awesome job, in fact it has "deviated stitching, black wheel white stiching...love it got it extra thick, so try to find someone who does custom interiors and this should be easy for them, also the price shouldnt be to much more, the cherokee has many functions on the wheel as does the multifunction.
By the way it took the guy 2 days
Dinorocz,
Can you PM the contact info of your guy?
Thx

Old 03-31-2009, 11:57 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
steering wheel

Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
But you probably won't like the steering wheel on the GT2! So you might as well get a nice steering wheel for the turbo, keep the stock turbo wheel for when you sell / or lease is up. Then, when you get the GT2 swap that wheel with the upgraded wheel.

LOL - something to think about.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 PM
WHITE S is infamous around these parts
Does anybody know who makes the steering wheels that "ZSCHICAGO" posted pictures of in the begining of these thread??? those things look nice with the carbon inlay

Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 AM
dajgazu is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WHITE S
Does anybody know who makes the steering wheels that "ZSCHICAGO" posted pictures of in the begining of these thread??? those things look nice with the carbon inlay
Yeah im interested too. Who makes those??

Old 04-10-2009, 01:58 AM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
Don't alter the steering wheel, take the simple solution -- Wear driving gloves.

Seriously, the thickness of the stock steering wheel will feel fine with gloves. Leave a pair of fingerless driving gloves in the glove box compartment (that's why it's called glove box compartment ) and just wear them when you need to.

Regards,

Old 04-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Lockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant futureLockie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Don't alter the steering wheel, take the simple solution -- Wear driving gloves.

Seriously, the thickness of the stock steering wheel will feel fine with gloves. Leave a pair of fingerless driving gloves in the glove box compartment (that's why it's called glove box compartment ) and just wear them when you need to.

Regards,
Good inexpensive alternative .I bought these and they have foam padding. Use them for track days and love them
http://www.stand21.fr/porsche/gants-daytona.htm

Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a stickler about the thickness and covering on a wheel (living the OCD lifestyle!). The stock wheel in my 997S was really substandard and bought the Alcantara wheel from Ric at SunCoast. Not the base one but the GT3 one with the yellow stripe. One of my sons says it feels a bit odd but I couldn't be happier. Well maybe. It could be a bit thicker. But great nonetheless.
OTOH, if you want to pursue having your wheel altered, those of us with a spare could probably arrange a very low-cost loaner for you. PM me if you're interested.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
Here is the link to the place where I got my wheel redone.
http://www.robson-design.com/english/profile.htm
I used the tommy@robson-design.com email to communicate. Ive had the wheel for about 6 months now and love it. Fits like a glove.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I know what you mean. I'm quite specific regarding the size and shape of a car's steering wheel (more OCD hell) and have replaced more than one in the past. I really didn't like the base/stock P-car wheel, and so I purchased an Alcantera one from Ric at SunCoast. It's the GT3 wheel with the yellow stripe. I really like it, though I wouldn't mind if it was even bit thicker. It came up in an earlier thread where I posted a photo:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ing-wheel.html. I should say that an Alcantara wheel might not be to everyone's tastes. One of my sons (college age) says it feels pretty weird. To me it feels like you're wearing driving gloves all the time. And it never gets hot or cold.
Re your own, I suspect one of us could help you out if you wanted a loaner wheel. A number of us have spares and could likely work a deal to let you borrow one if you choose to send yours out. PM me if you're interested.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ing-wheel.html

Old 04-11-2009, 02:23 PM
RED05CS is infamous around these parts
zschicago, do you have a picture of your steering wheel installed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: hating my steering wheel