997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

hating my steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
hating my steering wheel

hey guys, loving my new c4s but the steering wheel is too thin. I have the multifunction wheel. Do I have any options besides $1000+ gt3 wheel or the $2000 techart wheel? Any 'wrap' that isn't horrible? Has anyone tried any of these options:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3756.m14.l1318

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3756.m14.l1318

Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
If you're willing to do without the MF controls, I suggest the alcantara GT3 wheel (about $700 at Suncoast) or the option XPA leather padded sport wheel (about $1300 at Sunset). I too found the standard wheel rims too thin and recently purchased the XPA which I love. If you don't mind spending much more, then the Techart wheels provide more options.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Techart --never look back . It's that good and every time you get in the car it's the one hands on thing you will experience.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:22 AM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
I made it a point to order the thicker SW and just love it

Old 07-18-2008, 12:29 AM
kermit_S is infamous around these parts
Have a LN 997 GT3 leather thicker steering wheel for sale if interested

Old 07-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
If you have the money, go for a Techart steering wheel.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:56 AM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
Im in the same boat. I looked at the Techart (to $$$). I found a company in Japan that does a lot of custom wheels. Good price $780, but you have to send them a wheel to work on. They claim 7-10 day turnaround. I like it because you can choose the style. Here are some photos of their work. I prefer the standard blk\grey carbon fiber. They also do all leather.

Attached Images    
Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Nice find. It appears you might be able to get some interesting alternatives there for a more reasonable price.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 AM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
The trick is losing your wheel for 10+days, or finding a spare to send them.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:18 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I read a post on another forum, that someone took there stock wheel to a local upholstery and had it stuffed and recovered. I couldn't tell you what city he lived in, but it might be worth a try, could be faster and cheaper then the Japanese route.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by zschicago
The trick is losing your wheel for 10+days, or finding a spare to send them.
Do it sometime when you're going on vacation. The tricky part might be to ensure you get what you want, since you can't talk face to face with someone too easily. Ed's suggestion of using a local upholsterer might help get around that, but I don't know how many upholsterers can to a steering wheel right.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
I have an 08 with a multifunction wheel and ordered it with the thicker steering wheel option which i love. I just happened to redo the steering wheel on my grand cherokee and for $300 the guy did an awesome job, in fact it has "deviated stitching, black wheel white stiching...love it got it extra thick, so try to find someone who does custom interiors and this should be easy for them, also the price shouldnt be to much more, the cherokee has many functions on the wheel as does the multifunction.
By the way it took the guy 2 days

Last edited by dinorocz; 07-18-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
nyc997cab is infamous around these parts
Check this out!

I'm having the same issue. I did some snooping and found this guy. Looks really good but no core exchange so you're without a wheel for a while. www.aglausa.com He has a lot of options for thicker and custom wheels. VERY reasonable.

Last edited by nyc997cab; 07-18-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 AM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keninirvine
If you're willing to do without the MF controls, I suggest the alcantara GT3 wheel (about $700 at Suncoast) or the option XPA leather padded sport wheel (about $1300 at Sunset). I too found the standard wheel rims too thin and recently purchased the XPA which I love. If you don't mind spending much more, then the Techart wheels provide more options.
Can you supply the link to Sunset?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by umwolverine
Can you supply the link to Sunset?
http://www.sunsetimports.com/parts.php?make=Porsche

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: hating my steering wheel