997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

$69K to spend...HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:49 AM
paulbluemaxx is infamous around these parts
$69K to spend...HELP!

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a 997, but I cannot decide which option to go for.

Option 1 would be a 2007 C2, less than 10K miles.

Option 2 is a 2006 C2S, less than 15K miles, maybe for 3-4K more.

Both cars are optioned out as I would like them.

Do you think it's worth going a year older for the S? I'm not actually hankering for the extra power of the S, but I do like PASM and those red brakes calipers!

I'm seeing these cars for approx. 65-69K - are these fair prices, or can I get something newer/better for my money?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by paulbluemaxx; 07-29-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
First i think you accidentally wrote "option 2 is a 1996 C2S" Correct?

If you meant 2006 C2S then i would have to say go with the S. Once you have the car for a bit and you are used to the car you will be happy you picked the one with more power, I really couldnt care less that my calipers are red. Also if your into mods the S will be the better option in my opinion.

also just noticed your in NYC, if you need more options, call my salesman Ted Kulp over at Manhattan Motorcars... awesome guy to deal with and very cool with helping out a 6speeder

Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Get the S, well worth taking one year older car for the extras.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the responses. Yes - I did mean 2006 C2S.

Other than the performance boost, the main thing I would be missing out on PASM if I go for the C2? The C2s I am looking at all have Xenons, but maybe I am missing something else?

I am a little worried about the C2S being a year older, would you recommend CPO for the 06?

Do you guys think 65-67K is a fair price for these cars?

Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
option 3

2006 well optioned none S, low miles CPO, and spend the left over 10K+ on nice mods..... wheels, exhaust, coil overs, B/M, other.... thats assuming you like to mod, if not go for the S! I am factoring $ here, if money is no object get the S and mod it or in that case go Turbo. Just want to be clear my recomendation for consideration is factoring a total cash out of 69K range.

Originally Posted by paulbluemaxx
Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a 997, but I cannot decide which option to go for.

Option 1 would be a 2007 C2, less than 10K miles.

Option 2 is a 1996 C2S, less than 15K miles, maybe for 3-4K more.

Both cars are optioned out as I would like them.

Do you think it's worth going a year older for the S? I'm not actually hankering for the extra power of the S, but I do like PASM and those red brakes calipers!

I'm seeing these cars for approx. 65-69K - are these far prices, or can I get something newer/better for my money?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:53 AM

Other than the performance boost, the main thing I would be missing out on PASM if I go for the C2? The C2s I am looking at all have Xenons, but maybe I am missing something else?

I am a little worried about the C2S being a year older, would you recommend CPO for the 06?

Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for option 3!! I do want to stay below $69K and modding is something I could only do on a limited basis (and I mean really limited like adding the iPod/BT integration!).

Would you recommend a CPO 2006 S, or can I forgoe CPO?

Originally Posted by mickfluff
2006 well optioned none S, low miles CPO, and spend the left over 10K+ on nice mods..... wheels, exhaust, coil overs, B/M, other.... thats assuming you like to mod, if not go for the S! I am factoring $ here, if money is no object get the S and mod it or in that case go Turbo. Just want to be clear my recomendation for consideration is factoring a total cash out of 69K range.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:01 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
try this person....

Mike Lookner, great guy and head of sales at Porsche of Westwood Ma, and they always have a great inventory... Tell him your price and bet he has something to run by you.... good guy 781-234-2051, whats posted on the Porsche dealer sites and pricing is not always accurate. Good luck...

Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 AM
get the CPO

yes get the CPO, worth it IMO. Why are you buying a P car? Do you do any track days or autocross, are you a spirited driver, push cars to limit, what sports cars have you had before. S and none S to the average driver may not be worth the near 10K increase in cost. But for some it is.... no right or wrong here by any means. Reemember 69K purchase price + 5% sales tax = +$3500.00 then would highly recomend clear 3m bra protection for anothet roughly $1000.00-$1500.00, your creeping north of 75K now, with no IPOD, thats another 1K.....(product and install).

Thanks for option 3!! I do want to stay below $69K and modding is something I could only do on a limited basis (and I mean really limited like adding the iPod/BT integration!).

Would you recommend a CPO 2006 S, or can I forgoe CPO?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be sure to give him a call.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I won't be taking it on the track, but I am quite spirited on the road - as much as the law will allow.

Previously I've had an M3 and before that a RX7 (1993).

Thanks for the 3M bra tip - I certainly will be going for that option!

yes get the CPO, worth it IMO. Why are you buying a P car? Do you do any track days or autocross, are you a spirited driver, push cars to limit, what sports cars have you had before. S and none S to the average driver may not be worth the near 10K increase in cost. But for some it is.... no right or wrong here by any means. Reemember 69K purchase price + 5% sales tax = +$3500.00 then would highly recomend clear 3m bra protection for anothet roughly $1000.00-$1500.00, your creeping north of 75K now, with no IPOD, thats another 1K.....(product and install).

Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 AM
good luck

straight shooter sales guy, let him know he got recomended by someone from the forums, I bought a 997 from them earlier this year. very happy with the experience and competative pricing.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be sure to give him a call.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 AM
hmmmm m3 and Turbo rx 7

hmmmmmm I don't say this often but you may apprecaite the extra 30hp on the S having two cars as listed in the past. Test drive both, not sure in one ride you will feel the 30hp difference.

the RX7 (that year, turbo) is one of my all time favorite cars.... a beast until the turbo goes....

I won't be taking it on the track, but I am quite spirited on the road - as much as the law will allow.

Previously I've had an M3 and before that a RX7 (1993).

Thanks for the 3M bra tip - I certainly will be going for that option!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 AM
RX7...super nice.... great memories.

I test drove the C2 and will do the C2S over the weekend - but I feel you are correct. I doubt I will notice a difference during a 20 minute test drive.

hmmmmmm I don't say this often but you may apprecaite the extra 30hp on the S having two cars as listed in the past. Test drive both, not sure in one ride you will feel the 30hp difference.

the RX7 (that year, turbo) is one of my all time favorite cars.... a beast until the turbo goes....

Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I have been trying to talk to Ted over the past couple of weeks, left him 3-4 voicemails, but he never returned my calls.

Originally Posted by dinorocz
First i think you accidentally wrote "option 2 is a 1996 C2S" Correct?

If you meant 2006 C2S then i would have to say go with the S. Once you have the car for a bit and you are used to the car you will be happy you picked the one with more power, I really couldnt care less that my calipers are red. Also if your into mods the S will be the better option in my opinion.

also just noticed your in NYC, if you need more options, call my salesman Ted Kulp over at Manhattan Motorcars... awesome guy to deal with and very cool with helping out a 6speeder

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $69K to spend...HELP!