997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Price my ride!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Price my ride!

I know I normally ignore most of these types of threads, but here I am now considering selling or trading my car. We really need a second 4-door and I have to have something sporty to drive, so beaters and basic transport like an Accord/Camry is out. Right now I'm looking at the new M3 sedan and the RS4.

Here are the results from Edmunds and kbb.com:

Edmunds
Trade in: $69,546
Private party: $73,874
Dealer: $77,656

Kelly Blue Book
Trade in: $64,425
Private party: $70,160
Dealer: $76,110

I have a Speed Yellow 2007 C2S with about 15,800 miles (I used 16,000 for the values above). Options include bose, navigation, integrated cell phone, heated seats, yellow dials, yellow seat belts, yellow rear console, sport seats, carrera classic 19" wheels. The car is in Excellent condition.

Can you guys help me take a realistic look at the prices above and compare trade-in vs. private sale? On a trade in, sales tax savings would be $4,200 for a $60,000 trade in or $4,900 on a $70,000 trade in (for comparison to private party sale).

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Obie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these partsObie1 is infamous around these parts
Nice car. In this economy I think you would do well to get the Kelly trade in value. Assume that the value is for an "excellent" condition car, which few dealers will pay at. Try "good" and you will get closer to what you might really get in trade. Also, no sport chrono hurts.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Kbb looks accurate . Just FYI --The M3 sedan is gettinga facelift and new i drive for 09 .

I have an 08 M3 coupe . Great car .

Old 08-07-2008, 06:06 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Kbb looks accurate . Just FYI --The M3 sedan is gettinga facelift and new i drive for 09 .

I have an 08 M3 coupe . Great car .
I think my goal would be to haggle for $65k on trade-in.

I test drove a M3 sedan, although only for about 10 minutes as we were pressed for time. I really didn't like the clutch or shifter - both were way too light and felt like they came out of a cheap Civic. Correction, the clutch and shifter I had on a Civic EX back in the 90's was tons better.

Does yours feel very light? I also didn't like the fact that it felt like it had no power at low RPM's - I struggled to be smooth pulling away from a complete stop without revving is up and feathering the clutch. I'll go back for another drive, but the initial one was very disappointing.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:16 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Let me know how it goes.

I might be insterested in selling my car as well.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Delius@VF-Engineering

Dealers don’t care what KBB thinks the value is of your car.

The dealer will give you only a fraction of what the car will sell for at your local auctions.

Don’t think for a second that KBB will give you the upper hand. The value is all relative to your current local market.

From what I have learned CarMax will give you the most money for your car.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gravedgr
I think my goal would be to haggle for $65k on trade-in.

I test drove a M3 sedan, although only for about 10 minutes as we were pressed for time. I really didn't like the clutch or shifter - both were way too light and felt like they came out of a cheap Civic. Correction, the clutch and shifter I had on a Civic EX back in the 90's was tons better.

Does yours feel very light? I also didn't like the fact that it felt like it had no power at low RPM's - I struggled to be smooth pulling away from a complete stop without revving is up and feathering the clutch. I'll go back for another drive, but the initial one was very disappointing.
I agree with you on the clutch/shifter being the Achilles heel of M3 . I have gotten accustomed to it though but it is no way a Porsche . In fact my third car (a 2007 Civic Si coupe) has a better clutch and shifter . However the technology of that car is phemoninal in contrast and the V8 sound and practical qualities make it an outstanding daily driver or family vehicle . It is comfortable . reliable, and with free service and loaners as well as a 69K MSRP (with the options I got) -- a bargain of sorts.

In terms of performance --it is a beast . That V8 is quite an engine and I would pit in in straight line competition witha 997S any day . Into corners the car also handles impressively and although a 997S would beat it the BMW would give it one heck of a run .

In my case it was for my girlfriend to be the primary driver making the transition from a large Mercedes into her first peformance vehicle AND we needed the space.

Overall it is a great car .

Old 08-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Delius@VF-Engineering

Dealers don’t care what KBB thinks the value is of your car.

The dealer will give you only a fraction of what the car will sell for at your local auctions.

Don’t think for a second that KBB will give you the upper hand. The value is all relative to your current local market.

From what I have learned CarMax will give you the most money for your car.
You are correct that dealers don't care what kbb states but it just happens that in this case the kbb numbers are in line with what posters in this forum are paying . Throughout the threads I have posted and discussed cars with many and the 05 and 06 997S cars have held very strong. In part the high resale is due to the 997S inventory being low as dealerships await the facelift 09 cars . Most of the 08's are heavily optioned with high MSRP .

His 07 which he hopes to get 65 in trade sounds very reasonable . If he sold it privately he would get more . This may all change when the 09's arrive and used cars become more plentiful but at this time his kbb post is spot on IMO.

Notice that despite the high volume of used car inquiries on this board no one is debating those numbers besides you . They would if they were paying much more or less.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Quick FYI. I talked to two dealers - Audi and MB - and was able to get decent amounts for trade in. The deal @ Audi was a trade in an RS4 and they offered $64k without much pressure. Also met with MB to talk about possibly trading in on an '09 C63 and when they heard Audi was offering $64k said they would offer $65k. Neither required any real effort and given the tax savings, this would be equivalent to $68,500 - $69,500 in third party sale (minus the hassle).

Old 08-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I was spot on with "65 in trade and more in private sale"

Now between the RS4, C63, and M3 you opted out of the M . I've not driven a C63 but saw a black one in traffic and it looked fantastic.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Good Luck with the sale.

I would go with the RS4 as quatrro is great.

Im sure the 2009 C63 is a shade more than the audi but it will be a brut, but also swallow gasoline like a 6.3l V8.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 AM
So far, we've test driven the M3 sedan (6MT), RS4 (6MT), and C63 (7AT). My thoughts on the M3 are above and while I like the coupe, the sedan is not as attractive. The RS4 drove fine, but like the M it just didn't get me excited. The C63 would take either 2nd or 3rd at a track compared to the two, but it had more features for less price and was just silly fun to drive. They are very aggressive looking and only require a tune and some parts to go from 451 hp to 550. I'm considering a $3495 tune+exhaust+airbox that should bump it to the low 500's.

Nothing is set in stone, but right now I'm very strongly leaning towards the C63. BTW, the C63 (2009) is about $10k less than the current RS4 (2008), and likely at least $15k less than the B8 RS4.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:58 PM
jjparkusa is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Quick FYI. I talked to two dealers - Audi and MB - and was able to get decent amounts for trade in. The deal @ Audi was a trade in an RS4 and they offered $64k without much pressure. Also met with MB to talk about possibly trading in on an '09 C63 and when they heard Audi was offering $64k said they would offer $65k. Neither required any real effort and given the tax savings, this would be equivalent to $68,500 - $69,500 in third party sale (minus the hassle).
Did you already negotiate the price of the new car? Best to do that or they will just give you what you ask for on trade and adjust the price of the car you are buying accordingly. They probably asked you what you were looking for in trade.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:11 PM
All the C63's I've seen sold in Atlanta are going for MSRP (Edmunds confirms MSRP is average price). They can't keep them on the lots, and aren't getting many allocations. RBM of Atlanta (Sandy Springs) got 3 and sold them within 8-10 days. They get 1 in Sep, 1 in Oct, and 1 in Nov. The one coming in Sep is past the configuration point, so my choices are wait until Oct or buy off someone's lot.

Right now, I'm looking at having them ship one in for me (they're paying shipping). At least I did get to drive the last one they had Saturday before a couple bought it for their 17 year old son (another story) - they gave me the keys and told me to go pick up my wife who wanted to see it.

I went by RBM (Alpharetta) and they aren't even letting people test drive. Granted, I went to the Sandy Springs location in my 911 and Alpharetta in my wife's Odyssey.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
The C63 is probably the most fun of all the AMG models. If you are going to be stuck with a sedan, it's not a bad one. They sound great too!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Price my ride!