997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Intakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:05 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
we had our K&N installed on our 996 a week ago. 2 days after the install the check engine light came on. a day later it went off, and now back on again. the car is going in on the 19th to see if it's the mass air flow or the O2 sensor. aghh! hopefully, it will all workout and be fine.

it does sound good along with the fabspeed muffler bypass that we have in the car. i didn't notice any HP changes (less or more). i'll X my fingers that we don't have any other issues with it. =)
I justed installed the KN intake today and the same thing happened the check engine lite went o did you ever find out why and how did you fix it

Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by LarryP
I justed installed the KN intake today and the same thing happened the check engine lite went o did you ever find out why and how did you fix it
K&N sucks!!!!!!!!!!! Do not use an oiled filter. get the X-51 intake.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:20 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lardog
K&N sucks!!!!!!!!!!! Do not use an oiled filter. get the X-51 intake.
I don't know about that,it looks great sounds great and the price was low 295 And it was easy to install.I am sure there is a way to take the lite off i also am going to install the Softronic ECU tomorrow maybe that will take it away

Old 10-04-2008, 03:44 PM
hformrace1 is infamous around these parts
I don't know about that,it looks great sounds great and the price was low 295 And it was easy to install.I am sure there is a way to take the lite off i also am going to install the Softronic ECU tomorrow maybe that will take it away
did you follow the install instructions to the letter? When I installed mine, it was really simple except when it came to swapping out the MAF sensor on to the K&N piping. It wasn't difficult but it was kind of tight fit so I lubed the contact surfaces for easier insertion . This is the only portion of the install where I guess people can damage the delicate sensor and cause CEL to come on. Also mine came un-oiled with a mesh screen/cover that wrapped around the entire cone filter element. Almost eliminates the chance of oil/MAF sensor issue. When I was at GMG, I noticed that EVOMS intake also had non oiled filter plus the mesh screen thingy. Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by hformrace1
did you follow the install instructions to the letter? When I installed mine, it was really simple except when it came to swapping out the MAF sensor on to the K&N piping. It wasn't difficult but it was kind of tight fit so I lubed the contact surfaces for easier insertion . This is the only portion of the install where I guess people can damage the delicate sensor and cause CEL to come on. Also mine came un-oiled with a mesh screen/cover that wrapped around the entire cone filter element. Almost eliminates the chance of oil/MAF sensor issue. When I was at GMG, I noticed that EVOMS intake also had non oiled filter plus the mesh screen thingy. Hope this helps.
It was an easy install I took my time and even the maf when in with a little push.I just ran it and it sounds sick over 5krpm my ears were numb. I just need to figure out how to turn off the check engine light and i will be fine.Tomorrow I am doing the Softronic ECU flash. I hope thats works.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Turbo S is infamous around these parts
I have the Gruppe M carbon airbox ,looks fantastic,sounds good and very expensive

Old 10-06-2008, 12:21 AM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
I got the X-51 and love it

Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 AM
C2S4ME is infamous around these parts
I have a twin snorkel carbon fiber air box attached to larger diameter sand cast intake manifolds mated to larger diameter throttle bodies. That along with ECU, internal cylinder head and exhaust header modifications gives an improved midrange and nice hit of power at high rpm. I like the setup fine and have not had any problems in 20,000 miles of use.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:47 AM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by C2S4ME
I have a twin snorkel carbon fiber air box attached to larger diameter sand cast intake manifolds mated to larger diameter throttle bodies. That along with ECU, internal cylinder head and exhaust header modifications gives an improved midrange and nice hit of power at high rpm. I like the setup fine and have not had any problems in 20,000 miles of use.
Sounds like an x-51.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:06 PM
dubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura aboutdubaudi has a spectacular aura about
It was an easy install I took my time and even the maf when in with a little push.I just ran it and it sounds sick over 5krpm my ears were numb. I just need to figure out how to turn off the check engine light and i will be fine.Tomorrow I am doing the Softronic ECU flash. I hope thats works.
Do you know what caused the CEL to come on? I would really consider getting that diagnosed before you get the ECU flash. The ECU flash might shut the light off but it won't get to the root of the problem.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:07 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
I've owned and used both the K&N and the evoms cold air intake system. I actually got CEL codes with the evo one but not the K&N. I'm using a TPC intake on my car now. If I did not have an SC, I would definitely go the x-51 intake direction.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by dubaudi
Do you know what caused the CEL to come on? I would really consider getting that diagnosed before you get the ECU flash. The ECU flash might shut the light off but it won't get to the root of the problem.
I just lef thte dealshipt and the CEL was a mas air flow sensor.He said it was from the oil on the filter.K&N says thats not true.I am still looking for an answer on why it went on and if i need to replace the sensor.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by summoboy
I've owned and used both the K&N and the evoms cold air intake system. I actually got CEL codes with the evo one but not the K&N. I'm using a TPC intake on my car now. If I did not have an SC, I would definitely go the x-51 intake direction.
What did you do to turn off the CEL

Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
I just lef thte dealshipt and the CEL was a mas air flow sensor.He said it was from the oil on the filter.K&N says thats not true.I am still looking for an answer on why it went on and if i need to replace the sensor.
Usually there is no need to replace the secsor it just needs to be cleaned there is a spay that crc makes mass air flow sensor cleaner this is a good buy and I recommend that you clean the MAFS evey time you clean your air filter. As for the oil some times K&N filters come from the factory with too much oil I recomend letting a new or just oiled filter sitting on a cloth ( one that does not produce any kind of lint) over night to absorbe excess oil.
We use BMC filters from Italy so far no problems.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by jason@fabspeed
Usually there is no need to replace the secsor it just needs to be cleaned there is a spay that crc makes mass air flow sensor cleaner this is a good buy and I recommend that you clean the MAFS evey time you clean your air filter. As for the oil some times K&N filters come from the factory with too much oil I recomend letting a new or just oiled filter sitting on a cloth ( one that does not produce any kind of lint) over night to absorbe excess oil.
We use BMC filters from Italy so far no problems.
Jason thanks I bought the MAF spray today I will clean it tonight .Do you know if the CEL light will go off once I do this or do I need to get it cleared at the dealship.thanks I will let you know how it goes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Intakes