997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose??
Jaguar XK
0%
Mercedes SL500
3.23%
Porsche 911
96.77%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Jaguar XK vs Merc SL500 vs 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 AM
porsche23 is infamous around these parts
Jaguar XK vs Merc SL500 vs 997

Very confused
but it has to be red!!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 AM
x-tian-230k is infamous around these parts
Wow, great looking choice of cars.... I'd go with the Jag or 997. The SL will be dated as the redesign is already out. THe Pcar with the turbo rims look amazing but the Jag has the vanquish-esq look... I love it.... tough choice between the P-car and Jag...SL should be a no brainer...

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !

If I wanted the others, I would have one!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 AM
MartinJF is infamous around these parts
I decided that a little ago, my $ voted for the 997!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Laps is infamous around these parts
I stepped up from the Jag to the 911. The Jag is definately a classy car, but the Porsche is a classy SPORTS CAR. If you are looking for a cruiser, go with the Jag, but if you are looking for a sports car it is a no-brainer, go with the 911. Either way you will be happy, but I can tell you I will not be getting another Jag after driving the 911 for a year.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Totally, completely, and utterly different cars.

The 911 is a sports car first and foremost with GT attributes. It's a timeless design. You can get it in a slushbox with all the luxo goodies you can ever imagine but turn the wheel at speed, feel the way the steering responds and listen to the tire roar and you'll know you're in a true, world class sports car.

The Benz is a GT convertible. I'm sorry but even the latest uber- "black series" isn't a sports car. And while I'm not really a fan of MB products, the SL is at least a nice looking automobile top up or top down.

The Jag is a luxobarge in GT clothing. It's heavy, not particularly fast, and IMO ugly. The center console looks like it was lifted from a current Ford sedan while the grille looks like an exact copy of a Taurus. Horrible. I personally think that Jag hasn't built a nice looking car in nearly 40 years. But that's just me.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
surfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura aboutsurfingbuddhist has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Da Hapa

The 911 is a sports car first and foremost with GT attributes. It's a timeless design. You can get it in a slushbox with all the luxo goodies you can ever imagine but turn the wheel at speed, feel the way the steering responds and listen to the tire roar and you'll know you're in a true, world class sports car.

The Benz is a GT convertible. I'm sorry but even the latest uber- "black series" isn't a sports car. And while I'm not really a fan of MB products, the SL is at least a nice looking automobile top up or top down.

The Jag is a luxobarge in GT clothing. It's heavy, not particularly fast, and IMO ugly. The center console looks like it was lifted from a current Ford sedan while the grille looks like an exact copy of a Taurus. Horrible. I personally think that Jag hasn't built a nice looking car in nearly 40 years. But that's just me.
Perfectly stated.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Da Hapa

my thoughts exactly

Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
for pure driving enjoyment, 911 all the way.

for luxury cruising and want a unique car, get an Aston.

For some unknown reason, I never had wanted to own a Jaguar (Ford).

Depreciation of high end Jag and Mercedes are scary.

BTW what answer do you expect on the 997 forum?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
HobbsE46 is infamous around these parts
Porsche all the way

Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
phil_m is infamous around these parts
If you want a convertible/touring car I would go with the Mercedes. If you want a sports car I would go with the Porsche.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
All I can say is DRIVE them.

It will painfully obvious. The Jag does drive like a FORD- it has 0 personality as well.

The MB is better, but still lacks the excitement of a P Car, an SL55 will put a smile on your face (0-60) but the base SL 500 (now faster as a SL550) is a "cruiser". The MB has a much better "build quality" than the Jag.

I would definitely get the PCar, and I would get a 6 series BMW (M6 if you can afford it) before I ever would buy a Jaguar...

Old 08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
RMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of lightRMcG is a glorious beacon of light
In my garage at present I have ,among other things, a 997 GT3 RS,SL500,and M6. Have also driven the Jag.

It absolutely depends on what you intend to use the car for. I would class the SL500 as an ideal weekend cruiser for a nice sunny day with the top down.comfortable and relaxing.Its not a sports car. The Jag is more in M6 territory but less brutal..still more of a GT than a sports car.
The Porsche is a sports car, and is less comfortable, less roomy, but incredibly tactile and involving. Incomparably the best driver's car.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
jackolo is infamous around these parts
I had a previous gen XK8 and I've driven one or two SL500s. For myself, the 911 was an easy choice. If however you want a more comfy drive, the SL500 would be it.
I loved my Jag but it was more of a fetish then anything else. I just love british marques.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
If I have to pick a SL, SL63..... would be better....
What's about a GTR?!