997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Finally Got to Drive/See '09 911 C2S(PDK)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Understood. Me either at first and I bet when I see it enough I will like it better than the 08.

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Maybe not looks

While I think the 2009's are a great step forward in interior ergonomics, fuel efficiency, power, and value... I'm still not a fan of the new front bumper. But that's 100% subjective and personal.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I have no interest in a 993, and if you do, then go buy one and save 50K off a 997, but I hope you have a great relationship with your mechanic or love to work on cars as a hobby. I do agree that most companies change their models every couple of years, for monetary reasons in large part (imagine if you didn't advance at your job, you'd probably be replaced eventually.) I had an 07 997S and would not have gotten rid of it as I was very pleased. I got rid of it for other reasons and against my will. So, I obviously have the opportunity to get the 09 or save a crap load on an 08. Guess what I chose.....

Originally Posted by Gpjli
LOL. Everybody (most) need to have the latest toy. Everybody (most) secretly want a 993 which is ten years old. It is not necessary to buy into planned obsolescence. C'mon. Stand up to Porsche and say "No thanks. I love my 08" Make them wait at least 3 more years for your hard earned (?) money.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Gpjli
LOL. Everybody (most) need to have the latest toy. Everybody (most) secretly want a 993 which is ten years old. It is not necessary to buy into planned obsolescence. C'mon. Stand up to Porsche and say "No thanks. I love my 08" Make them wait at least 3 more years for your hard earned (?) money.
I most certainly do not want a 993. While I think they're the best looking P car of the last 30 years, IMO the ergonomics are crap and I do not like the way they drive. Call me crazy but that's honestly how I feel.

When we bought our 2008 997S a few months back we thought long and hard about holding off for the 09's. At that time, there was nothing but speculation and a few bad spy photos.

I freely admit that the extra power would be great, and I'd love the improved fuel efficiency. But more than anything else, I'd like the improved electronics (I, for one, think the PCM in my car is not quite crap but it's close and that it's obscene what I have to go through to add an Ipod connection or bluetooth to my damned near brand new car with an MSRP of more than $100,000).

In the end, I chose the 2008 for two simple reasons:
1) I got a smoking deal on the car, with the options, and in the color that I really wanted. I had a strong premonition that I would not be able to get anywhere near this deal on an '09 and I was sure that Porsche would raise the MSRP given how ****ty the dollar is. (kudos to Porsche for keeping the price increase modest especially in light of all the improvements).
2) Proven technology, etc. I never, ever like to buy the first year of any car. I don't car if it's a Toyota, Honda, or a Porsche. The best test results always come from your first year buyers who use their cars in the real world. We plan on keeping this car for quite some time and I like the idea that the drivetrain, electronics, etc. in my car have been in production for several years and the likelihood is that the majority of the bugs have been worked out. That's not to say that the 2009s won't be reliable... but I strongly suspect that the 2008's will be more reliable.

I can honestly tell you that I don't regret my choice. But as I've said time and time again, that's one man's opinion/viewpoint.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:09 PM
KBS911 is infamous around these parts
When we bought our 2008 997S a few months back we thought long and hard about holding off for the 09's. At that time, there was nothing but speculation and a few bad spy photos.

I freely admit that the extra power would be great, and I'd love the improved fuel efficiency. But more than anything else, I'd like the improved electronics (I, for one, think the PCM in my car is not quite crap but it's close and that it's obscene what I have to go through to add an Ipod connection or bluetooth to my damned near brand new car with an MSRP of more than $100,000).

1) I got a smoking deal on the car, with the options, and in the color that I really wanted. I had a strong premonition that I would not be able to get anywhere near this deal on an '09 and I was sure that Porsche would raise the MSRP given how ****ty the dollar is. (kudos to Porsche for keeping the price increase modest especially in light of all the improvements).

.[/quote]

My sentiments exactly. The 08/09 cars look the same to all but the truly informed, the performance is pretty close and I didn't care about PDK. The savings on a new 08 C2S that was specced almost exactly how I would have ordered, sans sport exhaust, changed my mind. My new car should serve me well until the 998/991 comes out. Then we'll have to see. It also saves me some change for mods should I so choose and I will have had the great pleasure of driving it for months before the 09's hit the dealer floors.

Still can't wait to see and hear about the 09's though. They really made some significant changes and improvements to the engine and suspension and they should be great cars. It's all good.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
movingup is infamous around these parts
come on guys... you know what they say...
cars are like girls, new ones are always better... Even when they are worse...

i am trading my 2006 C2S in as soon as new ones hit the local dealer..

Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 PM
mstams is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PCarSalesMD
If you have questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer any you might have!
Did you happen to get a chance to drive one with SPASM?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:29 PM
PCarSalesMD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mstams
Did you happen to get a chance to drive one with SPASM?
nope, all cars had standard PASM

Old 08-21-2008, 06:31 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
One huge advantage of the 09's is that the new engines to not have a rear main seal, therefore the issue has been solved by the new design and deleting the part. I had an 07' 997 that I had a minor accident in and as soon as it was fixed I traded it in with 4k miles ( got 59k for it) and ordered a new 09'. I never had any problems with the 997 but it was black, not the color I wanted, and after the accident I never really felt the same about it. I thought I got pretty good money for it on trade.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
If I could have ordered an 08 and saved 10-13K with all the options and the color I want, I'd say sign me up. But, we discussed this earlier and I just can't compromise on color and options, nor do I want 20 options that were not my pick, yet are stuck on the car and I'm paying for, which almost negates the great price you would get. Wait a minute, maybe I still wouldn't get an 08 and here's why:

1. The 12K you save now will cost more later. What I mean is, in 5 years if you sold an identical 08 and an 09, the 09 would be worth at least several thousand more at that time, if not only because it is one year newer, not to mention the model change.

2. I agree with you in that I dislike getting anything new to the public, but from what I've seen and heard and spoken to engineers about (and this of course is my knowledge and I'm not a mechanical engineer) is that these cars and their engines are tested much more thoroughly than other types of cars or products for that matter. I really didn't even give it a thought that it could be a host for many issues. Now, when the new m3 came out (both the e46 and e92), I was very hesistant and justifiably so as there were tons of issues with the e46. I could be way wrong and I hope I'm not, but from what I've heard the 09 and going forward will be the platform for the strongest and most trouble free Porsche engines to date. I realize I'm not addressing things like electronics or brakes, etc.

3. I have an issue with buying something 1 month before something completely new comes out. Guys, it's more than a facelift. The engine is basically brand new. Not to mention yummy things like touchscreen, bluetooth, sports PASM, LSD, higher redline, etc etc etc. oh and 30 more HP.

So even if I saved 12 grand and got the limited options in the color I want, it would be a hard sale. Given that the options will be at least 8K more than I would order, so now I'm saving 4 grand. Yes, I'm getting 8k of cool stuff, but I wouldn't have ordered it. 4 grand for a 1 year older car with totally different engine, etc and I have to compromise on the color. Sorry, the winner is an 09.

Why the F do I have to be so verbose. Sorry guys.

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I most certainly do not want a 993. While I think they're the best looking P car of the last 30 years, IMO the ergonomics are crap and I do not like the way they drive. Call me crazy but that's honestly how I feel.

2) Proven technology, etc. I never, ever like to buy the first year of any car. I don't car if it's a Toyota, Honda, or a Porsche. The best test results always come from your first year buyers who use their cars in the real world. We plan on keeping this car for quite some time and I like the idea that the drivetrain, electronics, etc. in my car have been in production for several years and the likelihood is that the majority of the bugs have been worked out. That's not to say that the 2009s won't be reliable... but I strongly suspect that the 2008's will be more reliable.

I can honestly tell you that I don't regret my choice. But as I've said time and time again, that's one man's opinion/viewpoint.

Last edited by mass; 08-21-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Point was (is) that in 2 years Porsche will release the new model designation w the real restyle job. What then? Two yrs after that they will take the motor to 4 liters. If you like what you are driving, take a deep breath and "just say no". Or not. Your call of course. 2 1/2 years, 15k mi and I am still loving this car. Whats to change? btw IM shaft problems seemed to go w 996's and rms is rare in 997 (not so GT3's). This change is money saving for Porsche. One block for all models. The green stuff is good but you can go light on the throttle and do a lot. In PDK Sport it still eats gas. Interesting and quiet: they lengthened the stroke and reduced the bore but kept it at 3.8. Can 4 liters be far away? It's all good peeps. Gerry

Old 08-22-2008, 03:25 PM
movingup is infamous around these parts
What's all these rambling about whether to go for 09 or not? It's just how much the latest toy means to you. For me it's go time for 09 and 998 after two years... the way I figure, I don't smoke, I don't drink, and don't gamble,,,,, this obsession with car thingy is the only thing that really keeps me going...I almost feel entitled to the latest model whenever it comes out. I hope my wife forgives me after i pulled the trigger now and two years later. It's always easier to be forgiven than being given permission.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
You will be forgiven for helping to keep Porsche the most profitable auto maker in the business. Your attitude towards your rides does seem a little shallow to me but..;-)Now if they would only start to pass some savings on back to the consumer you might become a hero of sorts Go, dude. Buy them all. So many Porsches, so little biofuel.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I've owned a 997S Cab for almost two years now. Bought a pre-owned 2005. And it's been a true love affair. I had a few kinks to work out under warranty, and the original owner didn't configure it exactly as I would have, but I've added a few after-market bits and pieces and it has really become 'my car'.
That said, the 2009's seems better in every way. Engine, transmission, electronics, appearance, suspension (which may prove to be the biggest advancement of all). Everything.
So am I going to trade and upgrade? Nah. Is it because of the first-year syndrome? A bit. But truth is, I find myself in close and long-term relationships with the cars that I own and like. I'd rather spend my time taking good care of the gal inside and out - service, polish and wax and a few upgrades - than get a new one. To say nothing of the financial bath you inevitably must take to get the latest one.
But that's just me. Totally a personal choice. For those you who purchase the new ones, I congratulate you and I'll remain envious. But not enough so to make the switch. Which is not to say, again, that the new is one isn't better in every possible way...

Old 08-23-2008, 08:56 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see how anyone can be accused of having a "shallow attitude" towards pcars here on the six... this is, after all, a forum for Porsche Enthusiasts- Not Prius owners. Throwing stones / glass house, pot calling kettle black and all..

If you can afford to drive what you love, why not?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:04 AM
wfo900 is infamous around these parts
Throttle Blip?

Does the PDK blip the throttle like the F1 transmission in Ferraris? If not what can you do to stabilize the car during downshifts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally Got to Drive/See '09 911 C2S(PDK)