997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why to buy aftermarket wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:34 PM
kdubb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by justatoy
Thank you very much !
I love your Beck 550 too !

Stacy
thanks, but it went to its new owner last week

Old 11-02-2008, 02:20 AM
vantage78 is infamous around these parts
Agree; it's personalization thing for me, and it's probably one of the best non-intrusive mods you can do (i.e, take 'em later)

Old 11-02-2008, 12:10 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
I took my aftermarket wheels off today and went for a drive with the stock ones!
Aftermarket wheels are DPE S-20 with Pirelli p-zero nero 305/25/20 rear and 235/30/20 front
20x11 rear and 20x8.5 front
First off,I definately noticed a bit more acceleration using the stock tires and wheels(Understandably) but what I wasn't really ready for was the ride.....I like the ride and feel of the 20's better .
I found the road feel (if that is a term) made the car a bit more of a handful to drive with the stock tires and wheels,it pulled and followed the ruts.The 20's seem to be a little more forgiving to the ruts and imperfections on the road surface,I feel the 20's were even a smoother ride.
Being that the DPE wheels and tires are heavier than the stocks(I think Dpe tires and wheels front 48.8lbs and 56.4 rear) could that make the road feel smoother?
I would also love to know the weights of the stock tires and wheels(forgot to weigh them before putting them on.
I also notice that my stock 295/30/19 Pirelli p-zero rosso appears to have a wider looking stance than the 305/25/20 Pirelli p-zero nero.
Am I imagining this stuff or could it be,like I said above I fully understand the acceleration part but the rest I don't !
Here are a couple of pics of the set-ups !

Stacy

PS if you are wondering why the bodykit and wheels came off?
I do this every year to detail,clean and check everything over before winter storage,which is going to happen shortly!
I will even dust and wipe the whole undercarriage,LOL !
BTW I really do not like the way my car looks right now without all of this stuff!
Stacy: I wasn't aware the body kit could be removed so easily. BTW, are you still trying to sell your car?

Old 11-02-2008, 01:44 PM
CHAOS236 is infamous around these partsCHAOS236 is infamous around these parts
Some threads you never thought you'd see !

Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Stacy: I wasn't aware the body kit could be removed so easily. BTW, are you still trying to sell your car?
Yup...I think so!
Depends on what day and how I feel,LOL!
I really haven't posted it for sale anywhere else but here.
I really do love this car but hate the fact I don't drive it much!
It doesn't see any other weather but sunshine(no rain) and living here in Vancouver,B.C. there are alot of rainy days especially during winter.To see that amount of money sitting there and not being used drives me crazy!
I hate it when I don't have a car and hate it equally as much when I do and don't use it!
Catch 22,I guess!
Anyway,sorry guys back on topic!!!!

I love the 20's with the bodykit !

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 11-02-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 AM
justjay202 is infamous around these parts
I have the the answer to the question:

Why to buy aftermarket wheels?

1. bragging rights
2. bragging rights
3. more bragging rights

the average person doesn't know the difference between HRE, Champion, BBS, or any other wheel. $7k + dollars to get 20 lbs lighter net? 30 lbs? 40 lbs? only a car enthusiast will know how much those shoes are worth.

the real problem is like northvan said.. once you pop you can't stop. you got to pay to play. and we really do it all in the end to get each other off.

a friend of mine put it this way, "p-cars are like chanel bags for men. a set of shoes are like the matching wallet."

Old 11-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Brisbane is infamous around these parts
"p-cars are like chanel bags for men. a set of shoes are like the matching wallet."

I had a laugh over that one- so true!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Big_O is infamous around these parts
Let me tell you guys what I did. The mod bug is in full effect right now LOL. Have a list of upgrades, improvements and downright restoration going on. With a shopping list of things to do, wanted a low cost solution for a wheel upgrade. My 997 came with sport wheels and after 30 years of cleaning wheels, decided to get rid of them due to the high maintenance multiple spoke. Didn't want some aftermarket wheel that was cheaply made and twice the weight or want to allocate $5k on some cool looking wheels either. Found something that worked for myself. Also wanted to keep an "OEM" flair without any sacrifices.

The solution: Traded the sports for chromed-out classic 5 spokes. They are light weight, chromed 19"s that now turn heads.

Got a pretty neat deal. Was able to trade the sports and in return got carrera 4S rears that already have a 16MM offset! Installed 7.5 MM German spacers in the front.

The cost: $687.

Yes, $687 total with trade-in.

This got 4 new wheels and they took the old ones - Yay!

Since mine weren't already 5 spoke it cost a little more, then added chrome center caps, new set of lugs and of course wheel locks and front spacers.

The company: LA Wheel

http://www.lawheel.com/catalog/porsche/

http://stores.ebay.com/L-A-Wheel-And-Tire-Factory-Wheels_Porsche_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ6QQftidZ2 QQtZkm

Some will say, chroming aluminum wheels may weaken them, but by the time that happens, it's time for a new car .

The owner is Anton. He treated me right and was honest. The chroming was flawless. He ships nationwide. There seems to be a constant turnover of wheels, so he may have the size and style in a week or two. Will snap some pics on the car and post them.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Big_O; 11-03-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Big_O is infamous around these parts
Deleted a double post.

Last edited by Big_O; 11-03-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
It is mostly due to the mod bug that a number of us get, it quickly becomes a incurable disease.
I got the bug a loooong time ago as well now I can't stop...

Old 06-15-2009, 03:45 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
OP hit the nail on the head - there's no good reason for a street 997 to "need" upgraded wheels. OEM are strong, relatively light, etc.

I only get aftermarket wheels for the track and there I went with the lightest, strongest, most cost effective option out there at the time I was buying - Volk TE37. Some may not like the look, but most see the car and say "Wow, those are fantastic..." Form follows function, gunmetal gray hides dust, etc.

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
They actually are not the lightest or even the best quality . They are adequate and certainly better than some of the inferior aftermarket wheels but they can not compete with the high quality forged wheels (light and strong). The lobster forks are a cast wheel =heavier .

Style is also a point of interest. Just as one chooses a car's color and options he can also choose a wheel which fits the criteria of performance but also offers a styling appeal which customizes his vehicle.
Could not have said it better. This IMO is exactly it.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:04 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Check out www.wheelenhancement.com for weights and specs on wheels. They also have photos of various aftermarket wheels on different Porsches.