997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cup rear bumper and center exit exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 03:19 PM
58spdstr has a spectacular aura about58spdstr has a spectacular aura about
Cup rear bumper and center exit exhaust

I wasn't happy with my previous rear bumper, a dual outlet GT3 style aftermarket piece made of fiberglass. The fit wasn't good and the fiberglass was a little too light. I've had some replacement parts accumulating and have been waiting for some down time to get it all put on.

The bumper is a carbon/kevlar cup bumper from GMG and is well made and a perfect fit. The bumper bar is from Synergy and provides some wrap around protection as well as a welded on tow hook that fits the cup bumper.

The center exit exhaust is a work of art fabricated by Imagine Auto. It comes off the Fabspeed headers with Fabspeed sport cats modified to form the center exit. The tips are Fabspeed powder coated GT3 tips. Karl and crew fabricated the bracket as well. Its sturdy, light and the car sounds like a cup car but with a throatier idle. I was running Fabspeed cat bypass pipes and Fabspeed mufflers, but while it screamed on the top end, the car felt softer in the midrange. I think the engine mapping wants a little more back pressure and this "feels" better to me. Its loud, however, and wouldn't be ideal for a full time street ride.

Last edited by 58spdstr; 08-23-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Very clever, very good looking , and very hot.

I could not take the exhaust noise.

You commented about "backpressure" but what I think you are actually experiencing is inconsistent wave cancellation w/in this system.

Backpressure is bad; free flow is good. It has to be timed correctly.

Hot looking set-up though.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:31 PM
shonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to beholdshonuf is a splendid one to behold
sweet ride.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:38 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks amazing my friend, glad to see others doing the gt3 rear on a non gt3.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:53 PM
mkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura about
I love it! I remember reading about your car on IA's blog...nice to see you here. Where in Kansas do you live?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by mkell
I love it! I remember reading about your car on IA's blog...nice to see you here. Where in Kansas do you live?
I live in Olathe, a Johnson County suburb of KC.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 PM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
That looks real good,. Ive been wanting to the center exhaust conversion also, anyone know of any shops that will do this in the so cal area?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:12 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Looks great. Any sound clip?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
That looks hot indeed. Very nice work. I'd love to have one of those bumpers for my cab, although I would want to retain the L/R outlets. Much nicer lines on the bumper.

IIRC bypass pipes / free-flow will help revviness and top-end HP, but some backpressure is needed by the NA motor to keep TQ up- which is why the AH sport pipes seem to work so well.

I know Brian at AfterHours can make just about anything with exhausts, he does a lot of custom tuned systems for race cars both NA and turbo. Give him a call, located in San Pedro area- number is on website at www.afterhoursautomotive.com - Tell him Kurt referred you. Probably wouldn't be too tough (or expensive) to put on a set of AH pipes and run the exhaust outlets to the center.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
WOW. You and I have so many of the same things on our cars. Did you know I had this too? Synergy bar. GMG carbon kevlar bumper. Wow. Looks awesome. Did you get the Synergy bar from Virginia?

I do love the lines. Great work.

Here's how it looks in black.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
very nice

Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Looks awesome - definatley on my list!

Old 08-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by blakt out
WOW. You and I have so many of the same things on our cars. Did you know I had this too? Synergy bar. GMG carbon kevlar bumper. Wow. Looks awesome. Did you get the Synergy bar from Virginia?

I do love the lines. Great work.

Here's how it looks in black.

They are clones aren't they. Kerrigan at Synergy has been very helpful with set up questions and parts. They have a ton of experience modifiying the 997 for the track and have been very free with advice and suggestions. I have their front bumper bar as well, but haven't yet put it on since it requires some decisions about turn signals and intercooler placement.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
How funny. They have my car right now. They put it on the lift and took the front bumper off. Now, granted, they had it off to check out something else. But then they got me around there and touched ALL this stuff on the nose going, 'Heavy. Heavy. Heavy. Heavy."

About the clone issue. I think, out of all the mods, that our seats, coilovers, and wheel/tire setups are our only differences. Well, fabbed exhaust and different wings. Anyway, very very similar. Totally independent choices from each other with the same conclusions AND nearly the same time schedule.

Actually, now I have a question. PM coming your way.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
I really wanted to here Rick's car screaming around the track at Hallett this weekend, but it fell through. Oh well, HPT in October I could hear the car getting on the interstate a mile away, when he picked the car up, lol If you want to **** off your neighbors, this is the route to go The car puts a big smile on my face.