997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Jellybone's 997S mods coming along!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Nice project! The yellow bit not really working with the black. I do have couple custom made CF RS lip and CF bumper vent here in Vancouver. You can try it out if you like. I think CF will still work great with full black look.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 AM
akshon is infamous around these parts
try bright orange or highlighter yellow accents since you already have a race car look and sound going!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:49 PM
jellybone is infamous around these parts
Ok so I just came back from picking up my car and without a doubt it's way too loud. I had a 08 Sti with no cats and full exhaust which sounds tame compared to this. I would say it almost sounds exactly like a cup car, would be great at the track but this is not really streetable, wondering if Synergy forgot to pack the mufflers, cuz if they did and this can be even louder well I'd be scared, as loud as my old R1 was without a muffer!

For sure lost a bit of bottom end but the gain on the top end is worth it. Not going to make a decision on the yellow just yet, not until the car is lowered and the rear wing goes on. Looks very "racy" (not ricey). Anyway those little bits are easy to repaint at any time...

Anybody know a good exhaust shop in Vancouver, someone who knows their stuff...

Old 08-29-2008, 04:37 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice project, you're building up one nice pcar.
I know a very good guy here in LA, he knows his stuff with exhaust systems and presently makes a unique sport pipe exhaust for 996/997 cars. It is a straight pipe design with dual pass-through resonators and goes on after the cats. Basically, you get the backpressure TQ gains like sport mufflers and the top end HP gain like bypass pipes. Sound is about 80% of bypass pipes outside the car, and about 50% inside the car (at WOT). At cruise/idle they are pretty mellow. Good for DD. They weigh 8lbs each.
The dyno on my 996 showed HP/TQ up across the entire band and it was noticeable.
Video clips in my sig below.

He may be able to mod a set for your particular center exit bumper, give him a call tell him Kurt referred you. www.afterhoursautomotive.com

Old 08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jellybone
Ok so I just came back from picking up my car and without a doubt it's way too loud. I had a 08 Sti with no cats and full exhaust which sounds tame compared to this. I would say it almost sounds exactly like a cup car, would be great at the track but this is not really streetable, wondering if Synergy forgot to pack the mufflers, cuz if they did and this can be even louder well I'd be scared, as loud as my old R1 was without a muffer!

For sure lost a bit of bottom end but the gain on the top end is worth it. Not going to make a decision on the yellow just yet, not until the car is lowered and the rear wing goes on. Looks very "racy" (not ricey). Anyway those little bits are easy to repaint at any time...

Anybody know a good exhaust shop in Vancouver, someone who knows their stuff...
Ivan, doesn't surprise me that it is too loud, I had more stuff on mine and it was pushing the limit.

I have dealt with Carline Mufflers in Richmond. They will build anything you need or want from the ground up. They are opened on Saturday, there address 12140 Bridgeport Road, just west of Ikea.

Ed

Old 08-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Ivan, doesn't surprise me that it is too loud, I had more stuff on mine and it was pushing the limit.

I have dealt with Carline Mufflers in Richmond. They will build anything you need or want from the ground up. They are opened on Saturday, there address 12140 Bridgeport Road, just west of Ikea.

Ed
Yah Carline is great, I've been friends with them for years, used to go there every saturday when I was a kid, they turbocharged my first car (Cheverolet GTZ with a quad 4, that thing was fast).
I would have gone seen them anyway, just would have been nice to have somebody closer to home, hate driving out to Richmond...

Old 08-29-2008, 05:46 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jellybone
Yah Carline is great, I've been friends with them for years, used to go there every saturday when I was a kid, they turbocharged my first car (Cheverolet GTZ with a quad 4, that thing was fast).
I would have gone seen them anyway, just would have been nice to have somebody closer to home, hate driving out to Richmond...
I live in North Van, and I would still drive there. They are good, and worth the extra drive.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:34 PM
'ringmeister is infamous around these parts
This would be the car the tsuchiya had the win in '95 right?
My biggest goal though is to have a replica of the GT2 class winning Lemans NSX from the mid 90's. That is my dream car, I tracked down it's sister car with Honda of america racing but they wont' sell it, so I'm working on making a replica using many of the original suppliers/garages, problem is the original designer retired (i called him) and gave away all the drawings, trying to track that down now...[/quote]

Old 08-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by 'ringmeister
This would be the car the tsuchiya had the win in '95 right?
[/QUOTE]

yes sir! only 380hp but super light and handles great... I remember seeing footage of the car @ Lemans and it sure held it's own to the GT1 McLarens in the corners, I think you can find some youtube footage of going around the outside of a McLaren, mind you on the straights that McLaren would move...
The GT1 NSX would be much quicker but I prefer the n/a version, would be much more rewarding and have much more finess, plus easier to replicate, the GT1 would be a much harder project...

Old 08-31-2008, 05:25 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
jellybone,

Very nice. I like it. On the exhaust, did you get this from Kerrigan in Virginia? Wow. I have that too. It does sound like a cup car, for sure. Do you track this car? With the Motons, do you still enjoy driving on the street? I have the Moton Clubsports and such but haven't actually had it on the street since then. All track work. Thoughts?

Thanks man. Jared

Last edited by blakt out; 08-31-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by blakt out
jellybone,

Very nice. I like it. On the exhaust, did you get this from Kerrigan in Virginia? Wow. I have that too. It does sound like a cup car, for sure. Do you track this car? With the Motons, do you still enjoy driving on the street? I have the Moton Clubsports and such but haven't actually had it on the street since then. All track work. Thoughts?

Thanks man. Jared
Hey Jared,
Yup the exhaust was done for me by Kerrigan @ Synergy in Virginia, same as what you have except I have the X-51 header. I drove around this weekend and decided to just park my car, while it sounds great under throttle it is just too loud for daily usage, I'm not joking when I say at start up the entire underground in my building can hear my exhaust (you can't have a conversation beside the car almost, that loud).
I've already went to see my friends at Carline here in Vancouver and they're going to see what they can do to make it a bit more quiet for me, most likely redo the part after the headers, well that was a waste of 2k!
I've only tracked the car once (only had it for a few months now) and that was when it was stock (well with the cups sport tires only), but the Motons are going in this week and I'll be at the track on the weekend to see the difference. Mine are not the clubsport ones but rather the motorsport 3/way which should ride a bit harsher I would think than yours. Once the car is complete I'll give some feedback to everybody on the street and track differences.
I will say that I was surprised how much nicer the power feels with the exhaust, way stronger pull (especially up top).

Cheers
Ivan

Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Looking forward to seeing your car !
Looks great !
Carline are great guys(Chan and Teen(?)).I would think that they could help you out forsure.

Stacy

Old 08-31-2008, 06:08 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Those guys at Synergy aren't joking when they put "Racing" on the name of their shop. I hear ya. I had him pack my exhaust a bit more. He has it right now. But he said that after about 6 hours of hard driving it will blow it out (I think it was 6 hours...).

It makes me smile though when I watch videos of my car blowing by on a track. It just sounds insane! But again, a RACE exhaust.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:35 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Question- Can't they repack it with stainless steel wadding instead of fiberglass? I've heard that using stainless it allows you to pack to your preference and it never blows out.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
Question- Can't they repack it with stainless steel wadding instead of fiberglass? I've heard that using stainless it allows you to pack to your preference and it never blows out.
well the exhaust was fully packed with fiberglass when I got it and it was too loud that way, would be louder when it burns off obviously. I'll look into the stainless, it may not blow out but would it make it any quieter fully packed compared to fiberglass fully packed? I don't know...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jellybone's 997S mods coming along!