997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Jellybone's 997S mods coming along!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:20 PM
NVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to behold
Can't wait to see the finished product! Keep us updated

Old 09-10-2008, 03:21 PM
jellybone is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Ivan,

Fun day yesterday, the yellow was not as bad as I thought and after a while started to grow on me. It was also easier to identify you on the track. The exhaust is loud, my ears were ringing the whole way home last night.

See you again.

Ed
Hey Ed,
Monday was great, Seattle is a way better track than Mission, Alaina and I sure enjoyed ourselves and it was a great bunch of people to hang out with. If you think your ears were bad, try driving the car home for 2 hours!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Did you see the pictures of the track day, I thought that there was some good ones. Some nice shots of your car.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Newest Update:

Had a hectic weekend, dropped the car off Wednesday night, the dealer was working on it until 5pm Friday but didn't have time to finish everything so the extra sound insulation wasn't put into the mufflers and I'm still having electrical issues big time, have to carry a spare jump charger with me just in case. Need to get that fixed soon!

Anyway had to drive straight to a 2 day cycling event I took part in, then as I crossed the finish line I jumped in the car and drove to Seattle, that drive was not fun! Bouncy and loud, my ears were ringing and kidneys felt like a horse kicked me there, on smooth pavement it's OK but the highway near Seattle was bad (although I never noticed it before), constant jarring, bang bang bang... On the way back the fiance was kind enough to let me switch with her, dont' think she realized what she was in for lol...

Down to the nitty gritty, my Motons are STIFF, went out with an instructor for the first few laps (my first trip to Seattle) and as I power onto the front straight the car buck and bronks all over the place something fierce, all I hear is "holly sh..!" Car litterally bounced all over the place down the straight. We backed it off eventually to the softest setting on the front, could not do the rears yet as I have yet to mount them in the cabin (resevoirs that is).

I don't know if you've ever been to Seattle but it's a much faster track than our local one, plus it's only my 2nd time in the Porsche at the track, plus a finicky suspension equals one scary experience for a newbie! By the end of the day though I think I was starting to get the hang of it, I just let the car bounce, kinda fun actually once you're used to it but not confidence inspiring though. Ed was doing 240km/h around corner 1 (he's a great driver by the way) and I was pretty scared doing to bounce aroud that corner at 210. Other than that the car was great everywhere else, I did notice it was more planted braking into corners and the tail was A LOT less loose.

If anybody has ANY experience on set up for the Moton "motorsport" (not clubsport) 3/ways, I would love to hear your experiences and feedback.

On a side note there was a GTR there, he was with an instructor most of the day and for the most part increasing speed gradually. But by the last session he was up to speed way faster than earlier and all I have to say is that car is SICK fast. The instructor mentioned to me he had earlier driven a GT3RS with full race slicks around that track and the GTR was easily faster and as he said just amazing. My experience was this, that car has tremendous ability to carry speed, on the up hill section I found I could pull away (or catch) him (or the million Lotus' that were out) but on bits where it was about all and all grip/pace through a sweeper it was over. I remember just before coming onto the front straight I'd be in 3rd at the edge of traction getting ready to short shift a bit into 4th (thanks for the tip ED) and I just notice the GTR on my bumper, first on the left side, then on my right side, it was like he could have driven around me while drinking a coffee, simply amazing.

Made me wonder for a moment why I canceled my order for a GTR, if you want to be the fastest car out there go buy one, but after another lap I remembered why I wanted the Porsche. It may no longer be the fastest lapping car around (911's that is) but nothing is more enjoyable or better to increase your driving skill with. Anybody can post a blistering lap in the GTR but it takes a superman to do a perfect lap in a 911 and when you do it would be infinitely more enjoyable in my opinion.

By the way I read today online that at a presentation Porsche engineer mentioned the possibilty of a 4 cylinder 911?!?!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I was never on the track with the GTR, but it looked very fast. I have also been on the track with Lance (owner) when he has been in his Audi R8, and he is a very good driver.

Going down the front straight was a nice place to lose a Lotus or two, I could easily put 30+ car lengths between my car and them. The big challenge to the front straight is getting comfortable doing it at high speeds, my car is very stable through turn one, if you get the right turn in point. I did cook the front tires on my car, down to the cords. Good thing I have another set waiting to go on the car.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
What data analysis tools are using with the Moton 3-ways for setup? Interested in knowing for my upcoming GT3 purschase, thanks.

If you are bouncing all over the place you do not have enough rebound (shock) and need to bump it up a bit. I run at 4-5 clicks positive on my current Club Sports. You are backing off the wrong thing, keep compression the same as GMG/Moton recommend and bump up rebound.

What spring rates are you running? PSI levels?

Last edited by c2mojo; 09-10-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by c2mojo
What data analysis tools are using with the Moton 3-ways for setup? Interested in knowing for my upcoming GT3 purschase, thanks.

If you are bouncing all over the place you do not have enough rebound (shock) and need to bump it up a bit. I run at 4-5 clicks positive on my current Club Sports. You are backing off the wrong thing, keep compression the same as GMG/Moton recommend and bump up rebound.

What spring rates are you running? PSI levels?
Data analysis tools? Guess I have to look into that one....

As for settings, I'm going to have to ask the dealer what everything was set up with, from what I remember they put everything "in the middle". Excuse my ignorance with suspension setup/details, it's something I need to educate myself on. As for spring rates I think it was 600/900 which is what GMG recommended for a daily driver / track day car, but I'll call Fabryce to make sure (it's not noted on my invoice)..

Anyway here are some pictures, they're not great as I took them with my cellphone but it'll do for now. I'll get some more pro looking ones done once the wing arrives and I get the car polished up...

Attached Images     
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Everything in the middle is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to nice a setup to not have it adjusted properly. Call Lex at Moton or GMG for advice.

If you have a double-to-4-way adjustable Moton, you will also need a Linear Potentiometer that can measure accurately the low and high-speed compression/rebound.

Without this analysis you are much better off having Club Sports in there because you will never get the right setup and could actually increase your lap times.

http://www.autosportsensors.com/Cont...ntiometers.htm

Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by jellybone
Data analysis tools? Guess I have to look into that one....

As for settings, I'm going to have to ask the dealer what everything was set up with, from what I remember they put everything "in the middle". Excuse my ignorance with suspension setup/details, it's something I need to educate myself on. As for spring rates I think it was 600/900 which is what GMG recommended for a daily driver / track day car, but I'll call Fabryce to make sure (it's not noted on my invoice)..

Anyway here are some pictures, they're not great as I took them with my cellphone but it'll do for now. I'll get some more pro looking ones done once the wing arrives and I get the car polished up...
Ivan,

I am not sure if you have seen this link, but here are the photo's from the track photographer. My car is the "19 997 Carrera Gray", your pictures are right after mine "997 Carrera black and yellow". I think that your GF is the group one Orange Elise.

http://www.redmistphoto.com/gallery/...69507406_QmEvt

Ed

Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
well car was back in the shop for the past week, finally figured out the electrical issue, the alarm was not fully arming and would drain the battery while sitting, fixed now anyway.

Exhaust had Zero stuffing in it, they loaded it with the stainless and apparently its sounds 10 times better and a quieter too, I'll reserve judgement for tomorrow when I pick it up.

Wish I took pictures of the tread on the MPSC's though, they are DEAD. Crap only 2 track days and I'm down to cord showing on the drivers side and pretty close to that on the other, Getting a lot more wear on the inside of the tire too, think I'll need to adjust camber a bit. Fronts looks to have worn much more evenly and have some tread left, enough for another track day for sure.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Ivan,

Good news about getting your car fixed. I was out Mission today on a new set of MPSC, I fried mine at Seattle as well. I took photo's, I will email the to you tomorrow if you want.

Ed

Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
I wish I were out there running with you fellas. Sounds like a blast!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by blakt out
I wish I were out there running with you fellas. Sounds like a blast!
Jared,

I would enjoy being on the track with you and you car. I was out with Edgemont Village (Lloyd) today and it was awesome lapping behind him, love the sound of the GT3 exhaust, I am sure your car sounds like that.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Jared,

I would enjoy being on the track with you and you car. I was out with Edgemont Village (Lloyd) today and it was awesome lapping behind him, love the sound of the GT3 exhaust, I am sure your car sounds like that.
I think his car sounds like mine, we run the same exhaust system from Synergy.

Was driving out on Friday to Portland, luckily Stuart at Weissach was able to get me a new set of MPSC's in time, would have been much cheaper with TireRack but I didn't have the time to wait for them to come in.

Stuart drove the car with all the settings set to soft and apparently it's way better now, can't wait to drive it later today.

Hopefully Portland is not as hard on tires, I can't imagine having to buy a new set every 1 or 2 track days!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by jellybone
I think his car sounds like mine, we run the same exhaust system from Synergy.

Was driving out on Friday to Portland, luckily Stuart at Weissach was able to get me a new set of MPSC's in time, would have been much cheaper with TireRack but I didn't have the time to wait for them to come in.

Stuart drove the car with all the settings set to soft and apparently it's way better now, can't wait to drive it later today.

Hopefully Portland is not as hard on tires, I can't imagine having to buy a new set every 1 or 2 track days!
Jared has a super charger on his car, very fast machine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jellybone's 997S mods coming along!