997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

NorthVan997C2S Photo Shoot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rockstardoc
Hey Ed,

Nice car, especially those bucket seat...wow! Would love to see some action shots in natural photos.
I will post some today.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:34 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
Ed,
Looks great. What is that effect done in the shoot????
Jim
It is called HDR, I think it is a cool technique.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by rockstardoc
Hey Ed,

Nice car, especially those bucket seat...wow! Would love to see some action shots in natural photos.
Here are some from the track a few weeks ago.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
Ed,
Looks great. What is that effect done in the shoot????
Jim

Hi Jim,

They style of photography is known as HDR, or High Dynamic Range. To do this there are three components:
  1. A digital SLR camera that can do auto-exposure bracketing
  2. A software program that can render multiple exposures into one HDR image
  3. Photoshop
The process is done by taking three or more multiple exposures with auto-exposure bracketing of one shoot. For example I use 0, +2, and -2. Or neutral exposure, overexposed, and underexposed.

The software then takes these three images and renders a single HDR image which you then tone map to the desired effect. You can go for a super realistic look, highly contrasted and detailed, to looking like a watercolor painting. The resulting effect is a picture with the correct exposure across the entire scene.

In Ed's case, we shot that car early afternoon so the light wasn't as ideal as say near sunset. Also there was about 100s of people in that park as it was the long weekend so we got lucky not catching them in the pictures!

Anyways, due to the light and color of the car, a standard picture would probably over exposure the scenary and underexpose the car. HDR imaging allows you to ensure you have the corrected exposures across.

I usually like to try and highlight the features of the body links, so I don't use a lot of light smoothing. This creates more distinct lines and with the addtion of more contrast in Photoshop makes an interesting effect. I also like to play with the extremes as some cars I've done have little shine so I make them look like they are brand new.

Some professional photographers hate HDR as they think its cheating, and I can understand that. However a lot of people these days can buy a high end DLSR camera and shoot on automatic resulting in some decent pictures. I like the freedom HDR brings as you can shoot it how you see it, how you want to see it, or change the aspect of a photograph all together.

Its not for everyone and as Ed said, its in the eye of the beholder and I'm improving with experience as I'm self taught.

There are more examples on my site of different techniques I've used with it. The Cadillac for example was shot on a nice sunny day, but in some pictures you'd think I was in a typhoon.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Purplxd
Hi Jim,

They style of photography is known as HDR, or High Dynamic Range. To do this there are three components:
  1. A digital SLR camera that can do auto-exposure bracketing
  2. A software program that can render multiple exposures into one HDR image
  3. Photoshop
The process is done by taking three or more multiple exposures with auto-exposure bracketing of one shoot. For example I use 0, +2, and -2. Or neutral exposure, overexposed, and underexposed.

The software then takes these three images and renders a single HDR image which you then tone map to the desired effect. You can go for a super realistic look, highly contrasted and detailed, to looking like a watercolor painting. The resulting effect is a picture with the correct exposure across the entire scene.

In Ed's case, we shot that car early afternoon so the light wasn't as ideal as say near sunset. Also there was about 100s of people in that park as it was the long weekend so we got lucky not catching them in the pictures!

Anyways, due to the light and color of the car, a standard picture would probably over exposure the scenary and underexpose the car. HDR imaging allows you to ensure you have the corrected exposures across.

I usually like to try and highlight the features of the body links, so I don't use a lot of light smoothing. This creates more distinct lines and with the addtion of more contrast in Photoshop makes an interesting effect. I also like to play with the extremes as some cars I've done have little shine so I make them look like they are brand new.

Some professional photographers hate HDR as they think its cheating, and I can understand that. However a lot of people these days can buy a high end DLSR camera and shoot on automatic resulting in some decent pictures. I like the freedom HDR brings as you can shoot it how you see it, how you want to see it, or change the aspect of a photograph all together.

Its not for everyone and as Ed said, its in the eye of the beholder and I'm improving with experience as I'm self taught.

There are more examples on my site of different techniques I've used with it. The Cadillac for example was shot on a nice sunny day, but in some pictures you'd think I was in a typhoon.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron,

Welcome to 6Speed.

Thanks for explaining the process, I wasn't even going to start talking about it.

As for the time of day, Aaron wanted a much later time, but my schedule only allowed for the time that we met. I would be willing to give Aaron another time to shoot the photo's when the light is ideal (as long as it works for both of us).

Ed

Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
Hi Ed,

Thanks.

I personally like the photos, was just more explaining how HDR can assist in correcting exposure issues you can get with certain times of day and light.

The interesting thing that happens sometimes when you view them is that you think something just isn't right as it is a bit of a trick to the eyes the amount of detail you can see. Why some people aren't a fan of HDR at all.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
MelsM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Mel,

I am 5'11", the seats don't recline. If I recline the seat all the way back, I won't be able to touch the pedals.

I am really happy with this mod, I bought them from Suncoast with the bar and harnesses. Great deal, great people to deal with.

Ed
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info!

I'm 6'5" and I wondered if I'd have enough headroom with those seats and the sunroof.

I have sat in a GT2 and it was close, even though the GT2 doesn't have a sunroof.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by MelsM3
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info!

I'm 6'5" and I wondered if I'd have enough headroom with those seats and the sunroof.

I have sat in a GT2 and it was close, even though the GT2 doesn't have a sunroof.
I doubt that this would be a problem for you, I have had an instructor that was 6'3" and he was fine.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Nice Photo's Ed, congrats to you and Aaron on the shoot.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
very talented photographer... love it!