997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I get the clear bra for my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
porschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really nice
Should I get the clear bra for my car

So I've had my 997 carrera s for about a year now and have noticed that I have been getting some small rock chips on the front of my car. I have been looking at getting a 3M clear bra but there were some questions I wanted to see if anyone can answer:

1. Obvious question is does it really help that much and is it worth it?

2. When you wax your car, doesn't the part with the clear bra look different from the rest of the car because won't the paint part have more of a shine?

3. I went to my local Porsche dealer and asked them about the price and they told me it would be $795 including installation. Is that a good deal?

4. The clear bra at the dealer only goes up less than halfway up the hood, but is there one you can get that goes all the way up the hood?

5. Lastly, does anyone know/recommend any good installers in Orange County, CA?

Sorry for all the questions I just wanted to get your opinion and appreciate any responses.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
i think the venture shield clear bra is worth every penny. you should contact sam @ http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/ they've done several porsches in the bay area and all over the country. i got my entire hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors done. i wax the clear bra just like i wax the rest of the car. since the entire hood has the clear bra, its not obvious that i even have a clear bra

Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
venture shield is the best for sure. I did the entire front end hood, fenders and bumper. worth every penny. if you live down south another good option is
http://www.modernimage.net

They did mine to prefection.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
I had these same questions and I'm convinced it's worth they money. Does anyone know a good place in Atlanta to get a clear bra installed?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:12 PM
bella911 is infamous around these parts
what was the cost for your package with while hood?

Old 09-03-2008, 12:03 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
I have a guy in Temecula that is mobile, he did a great job on my car. If you get the half hood/fender (I did). He'll come to your place.

Make sure you get the curved line, not straight. It makes it blend in a the way light reflects you can barely see it.

+1 for Venture Shield.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:41 AM
mark911997sC is infamous around these parts
If you already have rock chips, you should repaint the bumper before you have it done or you'll see the chips under the clearbra forever.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
If you like having two different colors and "perpetual" swirls on the front of your car than get the clear bra- the BEST mod from an asthetic point of view I have done was "removing" the clear bra- at least for my color Midnight Blue-

Now when the car is detailed it looks fantastic- before- not so good- I would rather re-paint the front....but that is just me- Ok I am ducking.....

Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
If you like having two different colors and "perpetual" swirls on the front of your car than get the clear bra- the BEST mod from an asthetic point of view I have done was "removing" the clear bra- at least for my color Midnight Blue-

Now when the car is detailed it looks fantastic- before- not so good- I would rather re-paint the front....but that is just me- Ok I am ducking.....
I'm curious... where did you have your clear bra done and what product did they use?

I don't have your concerns at all with my car. And while mine is GT Silver and therefore hides issues better than midnight blue would, I've seen several black and blue cars with clear bras that don't have your issue.

To the OP... a search on this forum will turn up a lot of discussion on this topic. I decided it was worth it. I had the full hood, full front bumper, full front fenders, A pillars, mirrors and inside the rear wheel wells done.

Premier is certainly an excellent choice and there are rumors of them opening a second shop somewhere here in S. CA. To the best of my knowledge, that hasn't yet happened. Even though they are very expensive, I think they're probably the best in the West at what they do. I probably would have used them but they weren't coming down to S. CA for months and I really didn't want to wait that long to protect my GT silver paint.

After going to the local PCA meet, talking with several installers and owners, and asking around here, Rennlist and Fchat, I ended up using Sean at Ultimate Shield (www.ultimateshield.com). He had recently finished a black Carerra GT for a friend of a friend and the work was spectacular.

I am very happy with my car. The only place that you can really see the clear bra without making a huge effort to find it is at the A pillar. Otherwise, it's been wrapped and tucked almost everywhere and you really have to make an effort to find it.

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 AM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
I have a full hood and full fenders on my 997, it definitely stops the rock chips, but, I also take my car to the track and the tire ball marks are all over the place, and unless you spend way too much time taping up everything you will get the marks on the car and unless you get them off immediately, they won't come off. The worse part for me is my car is black and the marks are hard to see...

Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Don't forget XPEL. These guys are Synergy Racing sponsors too.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:58 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
You know, you wouldn't need it if you didn't drive down long dirt roads (look at avatar to get it...)

Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
GLTRASK1 is infamous around these parts
Atl-Porsche- call paul @770.757.9175. he does our lambos and any other cars. let him know that you have the gt3 front bumper as they come precut. just tell him I sent you. I have one on my car and it is worth every penny. stop in if you're in the area-would like to see how the aero bits look-Greg

Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GLTRASK1
Atl-Porsche- call paul @770.757.9175. he does our lambos and any other cars. let him know that you have the gt3 front bumper as they come precut. just tell him I sent you. I have one on my car and it is worth every penny. stop in if you're in the area-would like to see how the aero bits look-Greg
Thanks Greg, your last recommendation (Mike @ Magnum Collision) worked out great for my GT3 front bumper and misha wing. They did a great job and I told him that you referred me. Thanks again for the help!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Redlined has a spectacular aura aboutRedlined has a spectacular aura about
the tire ball marks are all over the place, and unless you spend way too much time taping up everything you will get the marks on the car and unless you get them off immediately, they won't come off.

Try Oil Flow solvent for track induced debris, works like a charm...unless you picked up Armco

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get the clear bra for my car