997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Where to buy helmet in San Jose or LV?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:14 PM
paigow is infamous around these parts
Where to buy helmet in San Jose or LV?

I need to buy a helmet for DE and can't find a store in Las Vegas. Is there any stores in San jose, CA or in the Bay Area that sells helmets? I would buy online, but want to try them on before purchasing.

Also, is open face helmet sufficient for DE?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
My buddy carries HJC helmets, very nice and very well priced.

He gives 6speeders discounts.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:57 PM
scwerks is infamous around these parts
find a local cycle gear store. they sell motorcycle helmets, but i'm sure they will have what you need.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
72guy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by paigow

Also, is open face helmet sufficient for DE?

Thanks
You bet! Unless your chin happens to be dragging on the pavement at 100mph. But it's your call ( chin ). Whatever you decide, have fun.
Regards, Dave

PS-- another option http://www.motodirect.com/servlet/Detail?no=336
and it's CF

Last edited by 72guy; 09-05-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Since it's for DE, you need a SA helmet. I've yet to find a retail store that carries SA helmets. Motorcycle shops have only regular M rating helmets for motorcycles.

Your best bets are online. helmetcity carries good selection and offers a 10% discount if you mention rennlist discount.

As far as open vs closed, I went for open. If you will compete or run in time trials, you'll need a closed faced. Open face is better at cooling, visibility, easy to put on and off, easy to talk to instructor. Most beginner and intermediate folks run open face. If track has a lot of sand, you may want close face since window will be down.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I've never bought a helmet before so how do I know what size to buy? Do I go by hat size?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:37 PM
mark911997sC is infamous around these parts
Don't buy a motorcycle helmet for auto track days. They won't allow you on the track with it.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
only problem with purchasing online, how do you know you helmet size? will a same brand SA rated helmet fit the same as a M rated helmet?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:11 PM
DDMotorsports is infamous around these parts
American Racing Supply in Vegas sells helmets.

www.americanracingsupply.com

Old 09-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Do not...

To repeat, do not buy a helmet online (unless you've already tried on and selected the model you want - which is quite unfair to the stocking retailer). The fit of a helmet is key, and can't be 'described' on the web. It is a VERY personal item - that can significantly affect your performance if you're not comfortable with the fit, mechanism, view or weight.
When I was riding a lot, Arai was my choice. Very high quality and designed for oval-shaped heads (e.g. mine). Other brands are better for round heads. Like I said, very personal.
Last point or two. Your helmet is, by far, the most important piece of your safety gear - housing and protecting a very important organ. Do not go cheap, and take very good care of it. Rule of thumb: if you drop it from waist high or higher, drop it in the trash. It's exhausted it's utility.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:44 PM
MartinJF is infamous around these parts
For occasional DEs and AutoX you cant go wrong with Bell, they are priced well and meet all applicable standards.

Take look at:
http://www.bellracing.com/public/ind...ct/category/1/

I went with an M4 from their Racer series. Here is a sizing chart:
http://www.bellracing.com/public/index/sizing/

You can find them online at various places (not much discount) or buy direct. Don't buy a used helmet and look after it once you have bought it - in particular don't drop it! Order a carry bag when you buy the helmet.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all your input. I'll stop by American Racing Supply, but their online store didn't have much inventory.

Yeah, I don't plan on going cheap on the helmet and really would like to buy in a store.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:38 PM
DDMotorsports is infamous around these parts
Yes do stop by there. Every time I have been in there they have had a good amount of helmets in stock.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
every online site tells you how to measure your size with a tape measurer. you should also check with the manufacturer's site as a reference. if you are in btween 2 sizes, go with the smaller one. some online shops have really helpful sales persons you can talk on to as well.

case in point, i had my pyrotech open face shipped to me direct from factory which is 30 miles from me. this was arranged by my online sales person so I can get the helmet before my track day and didn't have to pay fedex fee either. if you call the right shop, online or not, you can get good fit and service.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive
every online site tells you how to measure your size with a tape measurer. you should also check with the manufacturer's site as a reference. if you are in btween 2 sizes, go with the smaller one. some online shops have really helpful sales persons you can talk on to as well.

case in point, i had my pyrotech open face shipped to me direct from factory which is 30 miles from me. this was arranged by my online sales person so I can get the helmet before my track day and didn't have to pay fedex fee either. if you call the right shop, online or not, you can get good fit and service.

thanks for the info

i ended up contacting a local shop called I/O Port. he had Bell and Pyro instock. i tried on seveal helmets and decided on the M4 by Bell. great customer service and knowledge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where to buy helmet in San Jose or LV?