997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What is a fair price to get dension installed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
phil_m is infamous around these parts
What is a fair price to get dension installed?

Ok, how much should the GW500 and BTA1500 cost to be installed? I have a pcm with no nav, or cd changer but I do have the factory phone module which from what I understand needs to be disconnected to hook up the BT correctly.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:17 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
dealer quote me for 3 to 4 hrs

Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
I too have the factory phone module. There is no need to "disconnect" or "disable" anything to get the BTA to work.

The job took me about an hour for the GW500, and 15 minutes for the BTA - it really is very easy.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 PM
phil_m is infamous around these parts
Thanks for letting me know. The audio place said they would need to do a seat removal or something like that to disconnect the factory phone, which would and an hour and a half of labor. I thought that sounded a bit ridiculous.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:42 AM
bolobar is infamous around these parts
Recently installed Dension GW500 at audio shop. Great job 1.5 hrs @ $82.50 per hr.

The killer is that if you don't have a CD changer you have to go to a Porsche dealer and have the computer 'turn it on.' No alternative. I was charged $159 for 10 minutes of computer time. When I objected they said "Well we have to pay for this expensive piece of equipment."

Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 AM
ragdoll is infamous around these parts
I'd say a fair price would be $0. Do it yourself so if a problem ever arises later on, you know the system in and out.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
I don't have CD changer nor nav. You do not need the dealer to code anything on the MOST fiber ring. Just tap whatever device you're installing to the ring and it will show up on the PCM. I installed Tooki bluetooth, had it done in a leisurely hour. The interior of 997 are very easy to disassemble and assemble. Certainly doable even for first timers.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steph280
I don't have CD changer nor nav. You do not need the dealer to code anything on the MOST fiber ring. Just tap whatever device you're installing to the ring and it will show up on the PCM. I installed Tooki bluetooth, had it done in a leisurely hour. The interior of 997 are very easy to disassemble and assemble. Certainly doable even for first timers.
CD changer assembly should be pre-wired on most cars so it can be dropped there but on my mobridge good bluetooth connection to phone is possible only if it sits next to sun sensor on top panel or in glovebox (what actually is quite convenient).

If you want to mount unit inside you will need to get to PCM back side and it will require a bit of panel removals - also doable but front trunk section is much simpler to work on.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by steph280

To clarify, if you don't have a CD changer and you want iPod artist and song names to appear on the PCM screen, you have to have the CDC activated by the dealer.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by utkinpol
If you want to mount unit inside you will need to get to PCM back side and it will require a bit of panel removals - also doable but front trunk section is much simpler to work on.
I installed mine behind the PCM. 2 panels with total of 3 screws, crank the locking cam on the PCM and it slides right out.

To clarify, if you don't have a CD changer and you want iPod artist and song names to appear on the PCM screen, you have to have the CDC activated by the dealer.
I stand corrected. I was thinking about bluetooth module only which doesn't require any coding on PCM. Thanks for the correction.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
scott_997_4 is infamous around these parts
I was looking at the Denison ipod / phone modules as well. I have a 2006 non nav 997 w/o a cd changer w. I thought I read somewhere that the Denison unit is FM Modulated and not hard wired to the car - is that right?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:07 PM
The Dension GW500 is hard wired. You will need to have your cd changer activated by a Porsche dealer. My dealer charged me $159 and I was pissed. Your dealer might be more human. I understand the install is fairly easy if you're so inclined. Installation professionally is usually 1.5 - 2 hours.

Eric at Bumper Plugs http://www.bumperplugs.com is a Dension distributor and a Porsche guru. He is very knowledgable and helpful. Also a healthy discount off of list.

I didn't do the phone module.

The iPod interface performs flawlessly.

I have no connection with Dension or Bumper Plugs.