997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

09 at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 04:59 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
I see your point, and I am all for everyone have to make a living and nothing is for free. And I do my best not to waste their time. I love looking at cars, from Scion to cars I can never afford. I came across sales people of all kind, just like every other service industry. Some are very nice, and some are just arrogant. This is why I look at cars mostly in the evening when the dealers are closed. I do find some that do not have the right facts or without correct info, but would say something to make a sell.

To purchase something that is over $100k, I think it is a good practice to look into 2 or 3 local dealers to see what they have to offers. And I like to figure out how to do this tactfully so I do not waste their time.

There are times I left the dealership thinking they should have(or I should have) make a better deal. Many years back, one dealer wrote up my lease term for a 7 series BMW at 10K miles/yr while it was very clear that we had agreed on 12k miles/yr. and it was written in more than one place. Another dealer forgot to take out my deposit from moths back. I felt both cases did not fall into the honest mistake categories. And I expect more from higher end dealership. I bought two cars for my kids recently, and I did that thru cars direct and e-mail. It went really well, and it was very straight forward. But the initial visit to the dealer were pretty bad, they wouldn't even give me the brochure after I told them I am not going to by a car that day....

Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
I will be the only one on this topic that agrees with the dealership. And, here I go.

I completely disagree with the "deal" mentality. I am very confident that most males will “err” on the side that makes them look better. When people lose, it’s conveniently not that much, when they win, it’s a windfall. Now before all the people start complaining that they always tell the truth, save your breath. There isn’t a doubt that everyone exxagerates. What I don’t get is this whole concept of bragging (and yes repeating a few times constitutes bragging, not just telling a story). Do these people print their invoice and put on their fridge similar to their kids’ report cards?

No one will get me to believe that a dealer is selling a 2009 Carrera, on order, for 8% off. Once again, save your breath. There isn’t an incentive for a dealer to offer that much of a discount on such a premium item that already caters to people who want, not need. I called several dealers in southern CA and the most I got was $500 off msrp as a courtesy, which in reality means nothing. Mind you, I only called because I was curious, I already have chosen my dealer. I chose them not based on the price, but on the relationship and service and of course proximity to where I live. On that subject, I don’t understand people who call a dealer who is 2,000 miles from where they live to order a car, pay $2,000 to have it shipped, deal with interstate sales tax, cross your fingers that nothing gets damaged during delivery, and have no service center locally. All that to save a couple grand? Are these the same people who claim to be enthusiasts? To me an enthusiast places a value on the service not just getting the best deal? Why not get all the parts from junkyards and have a mechanic put it together and save $50k?

Finally, I completely disagree with the practice of invoice VS msrp. Other than fixed assets, you would never negotiate a price? How much for that shirt; I’ll give you $10 less than asking. I guess in Tijuana or the swap meet. I think the market should determine the price/value and that is what you should pay. Dealers should not make unlimited profit, nor should consumers “expect” to get a discount.

Now, I’ll close that most of you will say I am jaded and pissed and blah blah blah because I didn’t save 423234234234423 dollars on my order. My response is blah blah blah. Enjoy your savings, I’ll enjoy my car, maybe take a picture of it and put that on the fridge, next to the invoice showing how much I overpaid.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:15 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
I would like to think most of us negotiate when we are shopping for cars. That said, I am looking for a fair offers. This why I am checking here to see what would be consider as a fair offer on an order 09 car total around $120k.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mdc
I would like to think most of us negotiate when we are shopping for cars.
This is an excellent point and as I previously stated, the "got to have it" folks make negotiating for others difficult.

Originally Posted by mdc
---I am checking here to see what would be consider as a fair offer on an order 09 car total around $120k.
This is a tough one. I don't think anyone can be specific. You have to give it your best. Start low and see what happens.

Have a somewhat realistic number in mind you'd like to achieve, and then go from there.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:36 AM
jtill75 has much to be proud ofjtill75 has much to be proud ofjtill75 has much to be proud ofjtill75 has much to be proud ofjtill75 has much to be proud ofjtill75 has much to be proud ofjtill75 has much to be proud ofjtill75 has much to be proud ofjtill75 has much to be proud of
there is nothing wrong with negotiation....

i ended up ordering an 09 for $105k it is going to run me $95k. i have 6 dealerships within easy reach for me...but - i only went to 2 - first one i spoke to made me an ok offer - then went to the second one and got a much better offer. All i had to do was ask.

do i feel like they made no money on me? nope
do i feel guilty for trying to get a deal? nope

i get a new car every 18 months - it is the same if i am getting a cheap beater car for my wife (not necessarily cheap cars - but the wife always makes them into beaters) as it is if i am getting a new pcar or bmw - ask for what you want and let them work the best deal for you. you may have to go to more than one dealership, but hey thats a nice way to spend an early moring anyway.

Despite what other people say - almost everything is negotiable if you want it to be. if you really care enough to ask for $10 off the designer jeans at your local boutique - i guarantee they will give it to you rather than let you walk away. (this may not be true at a chain store - but at ANY independently owned business it is.) the higher the price of the purchase - the more negotiable the sale becomes. Do i negotiate the price on my jeans? no...BUT - i always negotiate cars and houses - it is pretty much expected and if you never ask for something - you NEVER get it.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 AM
stevenshin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jtill75
it is the same if i am getting a cheap beater car for my wife (not necessarily cheap cars - but the wife always makes them into beaters)
I know what you mean. Any car my wife drives will soon feel like an old run down car.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM
stevenshin is infamous around these parts
The dealer would charge you much more if they could - look at the mark up hot cars like the GTR or R8. In everything that is bought/sold, there is a bid and an ask price. Depending on supply and demand, the transaction takes place somewhere in between. You then have to factor in things like opportunity cost (time to shop around versus use that time better), and you have to value some of the things mentioned like convenience. Negotiating a price and shopping around is hard work, and many people who buy these cars are used to hard work, so in a strange way, it is all we know how to do. I will never buy a car from a local dealer if his price is not as good as one farther away. The "deal mentality" is essential in buying cars unless you want to pay more than the next guy. In retail, there is no "deal mentality" or "msrp versus invoice" because we are talking about lower price points and much higher foot traffic than a high ticket item at a dealership. I can't believe anyone would be opposed to shopping around, negotiating and trying to save money. Everything in life in a negotiation especially when it comes to money.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:57 AM
mdc
Originally Posted by lockmk
I early ordered a 2009 S and was given a 6% discount. The dealer has been very helpful so far and is keeping me informed about the car's progress through production (it is in PDI right now) and it should arrive around the end of Oct.
do you mind sending me a PM and let me know which one? — thanks ; >

Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM
gadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mdc
do you mind sending me a PM and let me know which one? — thanks ; >
Also, send me the same info.

Will you be getting a commission?

Thanks,
Darren

Old 09-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
It all depends. I had to find a dealer that even had a Targa 4 allotment for this year. Once I found him, some ways away, but still in state, we came to an agreement of 3% off of MSRP with all the options. For the optioned up car I'm buying, thats a bit over $3k off. The fact that its coming from another town means i'm saving $700 on the sales tax.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Minok
--- The fact that its coming from another town means i'm saving $700 on the sales tax.
Can't do that in Calif!

The buyer pays the sales tax when the buyer resides.

In this area it's 8 1/4%.

Try that number on a Ferrari or a Bentley purchase!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:45 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Correct. Need to provide proof of residency.

Originally Posted by Gcalo
Can't do that in Calif!

The buyer pays the sales tax when the buyer resides.

In this area it's 8 1/4%.

Try that number on a Ferrari or a Bentley purchase!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
SoCalCFP is infamous around these parts
ordered an 09 turbo and got $5,000 off with an october delivery.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 AM
PorscheSalesAtl is infamous around these parts
[quote=stevenshin;2034304]You then have to factor in things like opportunity cost (time to shop around versus use that time better), and you have to value some of the things mentioned like convenience. Negotiating a price and shopping around is hard work, and many people who buy these cars are used to hard work, so in a strange way, it is all we know how to do. I will never buy a car from a local dealer if his price is not as good as one farther away.quote]

I would say that most people that can afford vehicles such as these believe time is money. They do work hard, stress about making the right choice everyday within in their business or a business they help run. The last thing they want to do, in their own life is deal with undue stress. That is why people pay for services everyday, from mowing the grass, to house keepers to assistant managers and executive assistants. In the end it makes since to me to buy locally save the aggravation and time. By the way all Porsche dealers are not created equally. Do you know that it is not mandatory for a dealership to provide a Porsche Loner car for you? How about when something breaks just out of warranty is the dealer going to go to bat for you and get it covered? The list goes on and on....

Question: Who here sees value in this hypothetical

Your local dealer offers 2% off an allocation in two months, dealer 1,500 miles away offers 4% for an allocation 3-4 months away.

Do you:
A) Go back to your local dealer say I'll take the two month allocation for 2% off
B) Go back and expect local to give 4% off, get mad when they don't

C) Buy from Dealer 1,500 miles away, pay $1.25 per mile to have it shipped in a enclosed truck to help ensure car arrives in the same condition it left dealer in. You have never touched the car before or driven it, issues? Don't know haven't been in it. Go to the Title/tax office and pay the taxes yourself and again the list can go on and on....

Thank you for the postings that have come understanding the difference between choosing A or B and C.

In the end can't we all just be friends? I'm in need of a hug can someone please stop by and give me a hug?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 AM
PorscheSalesAtl is infamous around these parts
Pardon my newbie experience on this forum. May I ask how you guys do that quote thing? I thought I was doing it right. Guess not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 09 at MSRP?