997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

09 at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 AM
stevenshin is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheSalesAtl
Pardon my newbie experience on this forum. May I ask how you guys do that quote thing? I thought I was doing it right. Guess not.
You have to make sure you don't delete any of the brackets in the beginning and end of the quote.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
I would say that most people that can afford vehicles such as these believe time is money. They do work hard, stress about making the right choice everyday within in their business or a business they help run. The last thing they want to do, in their own life is deal with undue stress. That is why people pay for services everyday, from mowing the grass, to house keepers to assistant managers and executive assistants. In the end it makes since to me to buy locally save the aggravation and time. By the way all Porsche dealers are not created equally. Do you know that it is not mandatory for a dealership to provide a Porsche Loner car for you? How about when something breaks just out of warranty is the dealer going to go to bat for you and get it covered? The list goes on and on....

Question: Who here sees value in this hypothetical

Your local dealer offers 2% off an allocation in two months, dealer 1,500 miles away offers 4% for an allocation 3-4 months away.

Do you:
A) Go back to your local dealer say I'll take the two month allocation for 2% off
B) Go back and expect local to give 4% off, get mad when they don't

C) Buy from Dealer 1,500 miles away, pay $1.25 per mile to have it shipped in a enclosed truck to help ensure car arrives in the same condition it left dealer in. You have never touched the car before or driven it, issues? Don't know haven't been in it. Go to the Title/tax office and pay the taxes yourself and again the list can go on and on....

Thank you for the postings that have come understanding the difference between choosing A or B and C.

In the end can't we all just be friends? I'm in need of a hug can someone please stop by and give me a hug?
In the example you provided, I would choose A because waiting sucks.
But your example leaves it open to a lot of "it depends" answers. I think most people who were talking about shopping around are talking about comparisons with all other things being equal or close to it. Comparison shopping doesn't mean you pick on price alone; you add some to this price or that price to compensate for other things such as waiting or shipping. When I said I would buy from another dealer at a lower price, I didn't mean 1,500 miles away!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
PorscheSalesAtl is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevenshin
Comparison shopping doesn't mean you pick on price alone; you add some to this price or that price to compensate for other things such as waiting or shipping. When I said I would buy from another dealer at a lower price, I didn't mean 1,500 miles away!

Lets say the have the same allocation month.

By the way thank you for the tip on posting with the quotes.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Lets say the have the same allocation month.

By the way thank you for the tip on posting with the quotes.
Then it is a real no-brainer. Shipping at the rate you mentioned will offset the higher price of the local dealer. I guess the whole point is that asking people on a forum about the selling prices of the 997.2 versus msrp is a legitimate question that helps people understand the general market. After that, comparison shopping principally involves price, adjusted for things to make all other things essentially equal. I feel we are beating a dead horse. Service levels and location is meaningful, but net price is the major determinant. I understand and agree with the argument that you cannot simply take a percentage, say 6%, and take it to your local dealer and have them match it or walk out pissed. But you can take that information and determine a level that you might be able to get the car for at the local dealer and use it as a base to negotiate.

Last edited by stevenshin; 09-10-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Bob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really nice
Speaking of a % off, what does that really mean? Most people take that to mean, in the case of 6% off, that amount off the MSRP, right? But from what I understand, the base car has a certain % of markup and the options are a different % off. So maybe it is best to negotiate in a slightly different way - say 3 or 4% over dealer cost (?).

Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Its much easier for the customer and the Dealership to work from MSRP. Even more so if it is a pre-owned car or new one sitting on the lot. This way you can keep comparing an Apple to an Apple vs. an Orange to an Apple.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Please let us know the dealership that gave you 10% off an order. I presume this deal is available to others, not just you.

Originally Posted by jtill75
i ended up ordering an 09 for $105k it is going to run me $95k. i have 6 dealerships within easy reach for me...but - i only went to 2 - first one i spoke to made me an ok offer - then went to the second one and got a much better offer. All i had to do was ask.

do i feel like they made no money on me? nope
do i feel guilty for trying to get a deal? nope

i get a new car every 18 months - it is the same if i am getting a cheap beater car for my wife (not necessarily cheap cars - but the wife always makes them into beaters) as it is if i am getting a new pcar or bmw - ask for what you want and let them work the best deal for you. you may have to go to more than one dealership, but hey thats a nice way to spend an early moring anyway.

Despite what other people say - almost everything is negotiable if you want it to be. if you really care enough to ask for $10 off the designer jeans at your local boutique - i guarantee they will give it to you rather than let you walk away. (this may not be true at a chain store - but at ANY independently owned business it is.) the higher the price of the purchase - the more negotiable the sale becomes. Do i negotiate the price on my jeans? no...BUT - i always negotiate cars and houses - it is pretty much expected and if you never ask for something - you NEVER get it.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=PorscheSalesAtl;2036084]
In the end can't we all just be friends? I'm in need of a hug can someone please stop by and give me a hug?
Ok, I started this, so group hug for all!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Pardon my newbie experience on this forum. May I ask how you guys do that quote thing? I thought I was doing it right. Guess not.
Well, don't "quote" me on this but there is a button on the lower right side of the post entitled "quote"!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:28 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Then it is a real no-brainer. Shipping at the rate you mentioned will offset the higher price of the local dealer. I guess the whole point is that asking people on a forum about the selling prices of the 997.2 versus msrp is a legitimate question that helps people understand the general market. After that, comparison shopping principally involves price, adjusted for things to make all other things essentially equal. I feel we are beating a dead horse. Service levels and location is meaningful, but net price is the major determinant. I understand and agree with the argument that you cannot simply take a percentage, say 6%, and take it to your local dealer and have them match it or walk out pissed. But you can take that information and determine a level that you might be able to get the car for at the local dealer and use it as a base to negotiate.
Yes, agree. In my case, I have no intention to shop out of the local area, I like to see what I am buying. There are 4 Porsche dealers, all under 30 minutes from where I live. I will pick two to work with. I am not in a hurry, I might go to all 4 to see wut is on the lot, but it is most likely I will spec one out. But because I asked about cost a few months ago, they just offer courtesy discount, if any. That said, I like to believe I can do better after the cars are here. I just want to get a sense of wut is consider a fair/good deal. If I can get a fantastic deal, that is even better. I like to believe we all can do better than msrp consider the economy.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Well, don't "quote" me on this but there is a button on the lower right side of the post entitled "quote"!!!
WOW, Did somebody take a leak in your coffee? A nice person before you happened to help me out a little better by letting me know not to delete the cute little [ ] symbols. But thanks anyway.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
WOW, Did somebody take a leak in your coffee? A nice person before you happened to help me out a little better by letting me know not to delete the cute little [ ] symbols. But thanks anyway.
I lost you. Did I miss something in your question? Ok I get it. I was not fully sure what you were after.

Don't delete the end marks when you quote but you can delete script w/in the quote.

Also have to make sure that the quote ends with the termination language = [/quote]. That's why yours did not end correctly.

I quit drinking coffee long time ago. It's safer as per what you stated!

Last edited by Gcalo; 09-10-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
mdc
so much for my group hug, I think he is pulling your chain. BTW, I do appreciates your post from the dealer side. Pls continue to share your thoughts.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys. And sorry for the coffee comment. This forum is fun for all and informative just as it should be. Thanks again.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by mdc
so much for my group hug---
What? I've had my arms extended for the past 15 minutes and now for nothing? Let's try again please.

Originally Posted by mdc
---I think he is pulling your chain.---
You are definitely on to something.

But how about the coffee bit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 09 at MSRP?