997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

09 at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PorscheSalesAtl
Thanks for the help guys. And sorry for the coffee comment. This forum is fun for all and informative just as it should be. Thanks again.
Don't worry about it.

This is in fact a fun forum and very informative.

I need to get busier, though. I have way too much time to get into trouble here!

And now that hug, please? Where's boxstergirlie01 for this?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Don't worry about it.

This is in fact a fun forum and very informative.

I need to get busier, though. I have way too much time to get into trouble here!

And now that hug, please? Where's boxstergirlie01 for this?
me too, but I always make time to talk about cars

Old 09-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Bob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really nice
Something else to consider about discounts: 10% off sounds like a lot but if the dealer's profit margin is 20% then that deal would be great for both parties. However, I think it is safe to assume that the margin is not 20% - anyone care to chime in as to what it is for 2009 model P-cars?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
---but if the dealer's profit margin is 20% then that deal would be great for both parties. ---
13%-15% plus sales incentives. I have seen the invoices.

You would never know the exact % because their actual #'s come to light at year's end based upon the # of cars actually sold.

Get your best deal and let the dealer worry about the #'s.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Bob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really nice
That is about what I have heard for 2008 and before but I also heard that Porsche has decreased the profit margin for 2009 to firm up the prices that dealers sell for...guess we won't for sure until someone sees a 2009 invoice.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
---I also heard that Porsche has decreased the profit margin for 2009 to firm up the prices ---
I would bet this is not the case. With car sales declining the last thing Porsche would want is their dealers not to be profitable. And they sell enough cars at full price to make up for the discounted ones.

Common sense dictates that if sales are down discount. If dealers don't sell they don't order from Porsche!

Viscious cycle but one that was clearly visible three years ago! I saw it and adjusted my business accordingly. Why did others not do the same.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
I'm surprised to hear that profit margin is 13% - 15% plus incentives, which could put the dealer at 20% margin. I must be way off on what I was told which further confirms that 99% of the people couldn't be accurate if their life depended on it. Has anyone ever purchased a new 100k car at a 20k discount? Sounds ludicrous, but what do I know....

Old 09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mass
I'm surprised to hear that profit margin is 13% - 15% plus incentives, which could put the dealer at 20% margin. I must be way off on what I was told which further confirms that 99% of the people couldn't be accurate if their life depended on it. Has anyone ever purchased a new 100k car at a 20k discount? Sounds ludicrous, but what do I know....
I do not think we will ever know what dealer actually makes unless we own one... I ma sure they are (Porsche) is doing well. They were discounting their SUV $12 to 15K off right before the new Cayenne came out, and close to $30K on a Cayenne turbo. And I am always surprised when dealer told me how many cars they sell a week/month... often much more than I think they would...

Old 09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised to hear that profit margin is 13% - 15% plus incentives, which could put the dealer at 20% margin.
Probably but maybe not quite that high.

---- Has anyone ever purchased a new 100k car at a 20k discount? ---
Yes!

Figure this. Every M-B that goes to a dealer in Nor Cal carries a $500.00 charge for Bay Area and National advertising. Every one! I am sure Porsche does the same.

So with proper incentives the dealer may get that rebated from the manufacturer, and so on.

Don't be so surprised at margins. Do you really think it costs that much to make the cars?

Every GM vehicle (not just cars) sold carries a $3,500.00 charge for employee benefits!

The car business can be very profitable when done right. Porsche is the most profitable car maker in the world. There is a reason.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
PorscheSalesAtl is infamous around these parts
The rumor is true. Porsche did cut margins and there is no where near 20% mark up in these cars. What are you people smoking? I'm not at liberty to say any more than this for fear I could be taken out by sniper fire.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
The rumor is true. Porsche did cut margins and there is no where near 20% mark up in these cars. What are you people smoking? I'm not at liberty to say any more than this for fear I could be taken out by sniper fire.

"What do you mean, You People?"

Didn't you see Tropical Thunder?

-

Old 09-10-2008, 04:13 PM
mdc

No one smoke(the legal stuff) anymore in California, except me... I was told 10%... not sure if that is true, well, you represent the other side of the equation, you think it is fair if I ask for 5%? I promise not to report you to the Porsche price governing board ; >

Old 09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
same deal I got

Please let us know the dealership that gave you 10% off an order. I presume this deal is available to others, not just you.
10% off of a '09 C2S is what I got (along with a very nice locked-in trade in offer for my '07 Porsche until my new car arrives in October). I've already posted about this, but I'll repeat:

Hit the NYC area dealerships - they are very hungry right now with the downturn on Wall Street.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
--- there is no where near 20% mark up in these cars.---
I did not say "mark-up" or "20%"!

It's all how you do the math from "discount"!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:37 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by Alan
10% off of a '09 C2S is what I got (along with a very nice locked-in trade in offer for my '07 Porsche until my new car arrives in October). I've already posted about this, but I'll repeat:

Hit the NYC area dealerships - they are very hungry right now with the downturn on Wall Street.
10% sounds like a great deal, I do not think I can get that here, but I can always ask. I am thinking 5% is a realistic goal for Silicon valley.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 09 at MSRP?