997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

09 at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:11 AM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
I would also add-in the variable of which 997.2 you're going for. How many unsold allocations does the dealer have?

I'm not sure exactly how the system works because it sounds like if a dealer sells out his allocation - he can ask for additional but I'm not sure. The dealers seem to have a six-month window showing what is available to them.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:30 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GTS-R
I believe that 5% should be attainable. With the economy doing poorly, virtually everyone suffers. A Porsche is a car you want, not need. I want a C4S for next year, but if I feel I can't get what I consider a good deal, I'll either wait until I do, or buy something else.
I think I will be doing the same thing, I have not seen too many car sold from the lot, the same cars been sitting around for months.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
Which is why it's easy to get a great deal on the 08. Not only are they just sitting there, but there is a new model. I can envision getting 10-12% off on that, just about at invoice. But to get anywhere close to that on an 09, just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not advocating that the dealer makes tons of money, but 10% off seems unrealistic. Furthermore, what is the incentive to give that kind of deal when in CA it's $500 off?

More power to the people who get insane deals, but there are 2 principles I have learned that no one will modify: people lie and if it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Flame on.

Originally Posted by mdc
I think I will be doing the same thing, I have not seen too many car sold from the lot, the same cars been sitting around for months.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mass
Which is why it's easy to get a great deal on the 08. Not only are they just sitting there, but there is a new model. I can envision getting 10-12% off on that, just about at invoice. But to get anywhere close to that on an 09, just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not advocating that the dealer makes tons of money, but 10% off seems unrealistic. Furthermore, what is the incentive to give that kind of deal when in CA it's $500 off?

More power to the people who get insane deals, but there are 2 principles I have learned that no one will modify: people lie and if it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Flame on.
Yes, I can see 10 to 12% on the 08 by the time the 09 hit the showroom. For 09, I like to think 3% should not be a problem, given the economy. 5% might need a little work, anymore than that, all the power to those who can get it. And if you do, pls share. I am not sure why would anyone lie on this topic, none of us know each other. I do believe in if it is too good to be true, it usually is.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I guess each person has their belief on people's philosophy. My belief, which has been confirmed for over 30 years, is that people will lie to enhance their position. Now, maybe you and others think lie is a strong word. I prefer to be literal when I speak, so lying, to me means not being accurate, not telling the truth, and ommitting crucial or pertinent information that would influence a decision. You don't have to know the other person to brag about the deal you got. And, if you do believe in the other principle that if it's too good to be true, then when someone says that Porsche made a special deal with buyer X and gave him 50% off just because buyer X is such a smart guy and such a good negotiatior, then you know the answer.

Once again, this is MY belief.

Originally Posted by mdc
Yes, I can see 10 to 12% on the 08 by the time the 09 hit the showroom. For 09, I like to think 3% should not be a problem, given the economy. 5% might need a little work, anymore than that, all the power to those who can get it. And if you do, pls share. I am not sure why would anyone lie on this topic, none of us know each other. I do believe in if it is too good to be true, it usually is.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
While the economy is down, I don't think the impact on people who can afford to buy these products is anywhere as great as in the economy as a whole, so I'm not convinced that just because the economy is down, you will see huge discounts on new cars. The discounts are to be had for the same reasons as always... there are lots of other dealers from which I can buy, so if you want me to buy from you, then make it worth my while.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Bob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really nice
Regardless of the economy, people don't acquire wealth by giving money away. Yes, there are real rich people who will buy something at the full price; however, even people who are well off bargain - they did not become well off by not trying to save a buck when possible.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by Minok
While the economy is down, I don't think the impact on people who can afford to buy these products is anywhere as great as in the economy as a whole, so I'm not convinced that just because the economy is down, you will see huge discounts on new cars. The discounts are to be had for the same reasons as always... there are lots of other dealers from which I can buy, so if you want me to buy from you, then make it worth my while.
Good point. In my case, I like to leave the showroom one time thinking I made a good deal, I think I am suck at this when it comes to car ; >. I am determine to do better this time. So posting this question here and reading all the remarks is very helpful.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
72guy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdc
Good point. In my case, I like to leave the showroom one time thinking I made a good deal, I think I am suck at this when it comes to car ; >. I am determine to do better this time. So posting this question here and reading all the remarks is very helpful.
mdc,
So, you're saying you successfully negotiate the price on other items? But you just suck at price negotiations involving cars?

It's all the same. You've got it, the money, and they want it. Go into the dealer knowing what you're willing to pay. Have money in hand. Make an offer on the car you want. They won't accept if it's a lowball. If your offer is within reason, they'll accept. If the dealer tells you to pound sand, drive 5 minutes to the next one. Repeat. If you endup carless, you need to take another look at your pricing model. If you end up buying, you did it at the price that you established and you should feel good.

mass seems to like paying MSRP for things he buys. I can't remember the last time I paid the asking price without some sort of negotiation. I went to MACY's the other day. Took a pair of Levis to the register. Told the clerk they had the same jeans on sale at Pennys for $15 less. MACY's matched the price. I don't know of any web seller or retail store that doesn't price match to win your business?? Another example. I wanted to buy my son a BATTERY TENDER PLUS for his AUDI while he was on deployment. Pep Boys wanted $75. I knew I only paid $46 for mine online. Pep Boys would only match a local dealer. I found a local dealer who also sells online. Pepboys matched the price. $40.

My point is. Shop around. Know what a reasonable price is and work from there. If you're in a hurry, expect to pay a bit more. If you can be patient and control the purchase process, you're money ahead.

Let me know how those new Levis fit.

Regards, Dave

Old 09-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=GossettPorsche;2037336]

alan -- that is a smokin' deal. I hate to say it, but I think your dealer made an "oops".

Well, it's not a deal until the car is actually in my grubby little paws, so we'll see, but I do have a signed sales form with the discount and trade-in price stated. Believe it or not, that offer was made to me by two different dealers, one with whom I've done a ton of business and the other who I've never purchased from. The loss of 77,000 jobs in the NYC and environs financial industry is likely the reason for the "oops" competition.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:17 PM
If you think saving a few grand on a car is in any way connected to acquire wealth, you are dead wrong. Saving money is barely correlated to acquiring wealth. You acquire wealth by making more and managing what you have. Buying a car is the WORST way to acquire wealth.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Regardless of the economy, people don't acquire wealth by giving money away. Yes, there are real rich people who will buy something at the full price; however, even people who are well off bargain - they did not become well off by not trying to save a buck when possible.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't pay MSRP.

Your proposal on how to buy a car not only sounds foolish, but no one who makes any real money at their occupation would go dealer to dealer trying to save a few grand. It's called opportunity cost. Once again, let me reiterate, you make it sound like getting a good deal is the goal. Getting the car is the goal for me. A deal may or may not be necessary.

Who knows maybe if I keep paying full price for things, I will end up having to work at Macy's as a night job.

Originally Posted by 72guy
mdc,
So, you're saying you successfully negotiate the price on other items? But you just suck at price negotiations involving cars?

It's all the same. You've got it, the money, and they want it. Go into the dealer knowing what you're willing to pay. Have money in hand. Make an offer on the car you want. They won't accept if it's a lowball. If your offer is within reason, they'll accept. If the dealer tells you to pound sand, drive 5 minutes to the next one. Repeat. If you endup carless, you need to take another look at your pricing model. If you end up buying, you did it at the price that you established and you should feel good.

mass seems to like paying MSRP for things he buys. I can't remember the last time I paid the asking price without some sort of negotiation. I went to MACY's the other day. Took a pair of Levis to the register. Told the clerk they had the same jeans on sale at Pennys for $15 less. MACY's matched the price. I don't know of any web seller or retail store that doesn't price match to win your business?? Another example. I wanted to buy my son a BATTERY TENDER PLUS for his AUDI while he was on deployment. Pep Boys wanted $75. I knew I only paid $46 for mine online. Pep Boys would only match a local dealer. I found a local dealer who also sells online. Pepboys matched the price. $40.

My point is. Shop around. Know what a reasonable price is and work from there. If you're in a hurry, expect to pay a bit more. If you can be patient and control the purchase process, you're money ahead.

Let me know how those new Levis fit.

Regards, Dave

Last edited by mass; 09-11-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
If you think saving a few grand on a car is in any way connected to acquire wealth, you are dead wrong. Saving money is barely correlated to acquiring wealth. You acquire wealth by making more and managing what you have. Buying a car is the WORST way to acquire wealth.
Question:
Who's wealthier?
A. The man with a net worth of $0
B. The man with a net worth of $3,000

If you save more you, in essence, make more. You have managed your money more efficiently. But you already knew this.
Regards, Dave

Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. But you already knew this as well.

Keep saving those pennies....

Originally Posted by 72guy
Question:
Who's wealthier?
A. The man with a net worth of $0
B. The man with a net worth of $3,000

If you save more you, in essence, make more. You have managed your money more efficiently. But you already knew this.
Regards, Dave

Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't pay MSRP.

Your proposal on how to buy a car not only sounds foolish, but no one who makes any real money at their occupation would go dealer to dealer trying to save a few grand. It's called opportunity cost. Once again, let me reiterate, you make it sound like getting a good deal is the goal. Getting the car is the goal for me. A deal may or may not be necessary.

Who knows maybe if I keep paying full price for things, I will end up having to work at Macy's as a night job.
mass,
"a few grand". Yep. That's real money to me. Fortunately, my occupation allows me as much time as I need to shop around and save that kind of money. I love to get a deal. My wife can afford to buy at the finest stores in the world. Never does she sound so excited as when she comes home with a deal she got at TJMax and saved $50.

I hope your job situation isn't so tenuous that you can't get some time off in the future to go car shopping. Go out and make a deal. It's much more rewarding than just throwing your cash at the dealer. Try it, you'll like it. If not, I'll see ya at MACY's.

Regards, Dave

PS- I'm the guy behind mdc

Last edited by 72guy; 09-11-2008 at 04:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 09 at MSRP?