997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

First Post: Does the 05 Carrera PCM have an Auxilary or Line in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Big_O is infamous around these parts
First Post: Does the 05 Carrera PCM have an Auxilary or Line in?

Hello friends, guess there is a first post for everybody

This is mine. Receiving my 05 Carrera Monday. Bought it out of state from a dealer and now need to learn a new car from the ground up. Been a BMW owner for years and thought it was time for a change.

Unlike my 540i where the sirius satellite installation was a breeze, seems Porsche may be more difficult. Not really interested in the ipod, just installing sirius satellite. XM is nice, and it seems there is factory support, but I'm a sirius fan.

I have a few ideas how to install aftermarket equipment, and welcome any input you can offer. My question is, does the Porsche PCM have any auxiliary audio input or line input jack? Would like to avoid using an RF modulator and going with a direct input.

Thanks,

Last edited by Big_O; 09-13-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:38 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Simple answer: No.

To add things like audio input, or iPod interface, or Bluetooth, you need to buy and install a 3rd party unit such as Dension. A search should reveal many posts on this topic. I wish it were simpler too, as I am using the FM modulator in my Roady2 XM unit, and it is a pain. My previous 05 cab had a Dension unit so I was able to use the audio input jacks it provided. Even my C55, which uses a proprietary fiber-based system, had a simple fix that allowed me to purchase from MBZ a audio jack for my glove box, and just plugged it into a factory installed connector buried behind the passenger side kick panel. Total cost was about $50 and an hour of my time.

Porsche has finally caught up with the rest of the auto world with their re-designed PCM in the 09 units.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
it also depends if you have a Bose (uses MOST) or non-bose PCM. if you have the bose setup you can use the MOST plugs with the various setups such as Dension (Dice) and Mobridge. if you dont have the the Bose, im not sure what other interfaces are out there

Last edited by Daytonaviolet; 09-13-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the reply keninirvine. I've done a ton of searching and while there's lot's of posts regarding ipod installations, few that describe what's behind the radio.

I saw the Dension and JL audio options. Those are probably some of the few that can be used without an RF modulator.

Seems lot's or Porsche owners either shell out a ton of cash to get their audio right or put up with unsatisfactory sound.

Wasn't sure about the PCM and appreciate your response.

*Edit* Thanks Daytonaviolet, not sure what the receiver is. Guess we'll find out in a few days LOL. Any way to know if it's Bose or not without removing the radio?

Here is a picture is that means anything.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Big_O; 09-13-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:05 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Big O- Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the six. Post some pics of your ride.

You have three decent options since the audio connection is fiber optic in your car:
Dension
mObridge
NavTV

All of the above modules simply connect to the fiber optic line and replace the CD changer function with ipod function. Everything is displayed on the PCM and you retain use of factory audio controls. Sound quality is excellent. Downside is they are all in the $450-ish range.
I have used all three of the above products, I presently have the mObridge in my Cayenne TT and the NavTV in my 997.
If you listen to your ipod a lot and want decent sound, just bite the bullet and get one.
Install is pretty simple.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:13 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Actually, my last 05 C2S cab had the Dension AND a CD changer. The Dension had a switch in the glove box to toggle between changer mode and Dension mode.

To Big-O: You'll know you have a Bose by the prominently displayed silver Bose signs on the door speakers, as well as by the existence of a subwoofer behind the rear seat-backs (or in the case of a cab, in the left side of passenger footwell).

Old 09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Ken is correct- the Dension unit has a "stealth" switch which allows you to keep the factory cd changer plugged in and bypass the Dension. MObridge has this as well. NavTV does not.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys appreciate the information. The fun of driving a Porsche hasn't happened yet, as I'm expected to take delivery Monday. Appreciate the warm welcome p0rsch3, and sort of biting my nails waiting for delivery .

Been into cars and electronics for years. This is my first Porsche. Suppose everyone has a reason and history when it comes to buying one. Traded my mini-van for this!

J/K, currently selling my 2003 BMW 540i with 25k miles. Seems a shame the Bimmers would depreciate so much, but the Porsche holds their value.

Soon as I have some pictures will post them!

Thanks,

Old 09-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Big_O
Thanks guys appreciate the information. The fun of driving a Porsche hasn't happened yet, as I'm expected to take delivery Monday. Appreciate the warm welcome p0rsch3, and sort of biting my nails waiting for delivery .

Been into cars and electronics for years. This is my first Porsche. Suppose everyone has a reason and history when it comes to buying one. Traded my mini-van for this!

J/K, currently selling my 2003 BMW 540i with 25k miles. Seems a shame the Bimmers would depreciate so much, but the Porsche holds their value.

Soon as I have some pictures will post them!

Thanks,
Be careful about your belief about Porsches holding their value. In fact, most of them don't, especially in the first 3 years. By buying an 05, you will hopefully be taking advantage of someone else losing the first $30 or $40k of depreciation.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Anyone will say "cars are a bad investment." I don't buy cars to invest, just enjoy the machine. Compared to a bimmer, porsche may do a better job of depreciating at a slower rate. BTW, I decided not to sell my 2003 540i with 25k miles! I paid $59k in 03 for that car and now it's worth $26k. There is no way I'm giving this beautiful car away for peanuts. Plus, the wife thinks the 911 won't be able to hold all her stuff from going shopping!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned
NAV-TV is infamous around these parts
Just to clarify the BOSE / NON-BOSE fog:

As long as it's a PCM2.1 Radio (Like in the picture above) NAV-TV, Dension and MoBridge will all work fine.

The difference is that a non-bose is typically a part of a base system, so you need to make sure that there is at least one M.O.S.T node other then the radio (CD Changer, Navigation or Both).

If not, the radio must be coded by a porsche dealer (or anyone with a PIWIS computer) for a CD-Changer. That's all.

The comparison to your other vehicles (BMW, Mercedes) is well justified, other luxury vehicle have the provision for good old Analog AUX inputs. it costs the manufacturer merely a dollar or two to add those if it's in the early stages of design.

The way things work is that the OEM (Porsche AG) specifies the product and issues an RFI (request for information) and then an RFQ (request for quote) to it's traditional suppliers: Harman/Becker, Alpine, Siemens, Continental, Bosch etc.

The winning bidder usually follows the exact requirement and has little to say about the features specified by the OEM.

This is a typical example of a manufacturer's short sight, Early in the life of the vehicle design they did not see the need for AUX, not to mention ipod or Bluetooth.

on a good note, the new PCM3, while still made by Harman/Becker as it's predecessor, boasts AUX audio, iPod, USB audio, Bluetooth as an integral part of the radio by design. Hurray !