997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How many of you guys tint your windows?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Big_O is infamous around these parts
How many of you guys tint your windows?

All the cars owned (since the 80's) have always had tinted windows. My recent Bimmers over the years have been "blacked out" front and rear. Something about privacy that is very comfortable when driving. There are so many A-holes on the roads ready to flip you off for just looking at them, you would be amazed what people "don't do" when they can't see into the vehicle. More impotantly, tinting the windows preserves the cars interior, especially the carpets from the suns UV rays. I'm planning on getting the windows tinted for my black 911, just wondered if you guys are running stock windows or have them tinted.

Thanks,

Old 09-14-2008, 05:30 PM
awcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the rough
me me

Old 09-14-2008, 05:35 PM
silver1331 is infamous around these parts
In warm climates I think most people do for the reasons you stated. I live in the midwest but do it for privacy. Plus i think if you have black wheels, tint is a must.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:02 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by awcayenne
me me
not to get off topic here, but awcayenne....beautiful slantnose!!!!!!!!

we tinted our windows not because of keeping the sunshine out (we live in seattle..good luck! lol). but we did it to look cool! lol!!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:16 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Always tint, always have always will

Old 09-14-2008, 07:34 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
my first 997 had tinted windows, my second doesn't. It is illegal to have drivers and passengers windows tinted, so I didn't bother doing any on this car.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
+1 on always tint. I recommend 3M Ceramic 35% tint all around. Dark enough to look cool but not too much where you are blind at night or getting hassled by local PD.

"the tint factory" on La Cienega blvd in West LA (same parking lot as Al & Eds) does a fantastic job for $250 / all windows with the 3M Ceramic.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:14 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
30% on front dr/pass windows and 35% rear side windows and rear window. Windshield does not have any. Keeps it cool without being too dark.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
convertible...no need to tint.... that's why it is a cab

Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
One step further

I always tint and go one step further. I put 50 on the windshield, you can barely tell it is there and also does a great job keeping the car cool and protecting the interior.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
I used this one, number 35 it's a non-metallized, non-conductive, ceramic film..
http://www.tintplus.com/default.cfm?...nting-pinnacle

They're in the oc and did a great job..

Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Rec Racing
I always tint and go one step further. I put 50 on the windshield, you can barely tell it is there and also does a great job keeping the car cool and protecting the interior.

I'm not sure I buy the 'protecting the interior' line. That all depends on the quality or lack there of, of the materials used inside the car. My 1994 VW Golf has no tinting beyond the factory tinting levels as it was sold new. It drove and sat in the south Louisiana sun for 10 years, and now 4 years up in Seattle (ok, less sun here) and there is no appreciable decay on any interior surfaces from uv or heat exposure, despite baking in the summer in 100+ temps for hours on end for a decade. The only interior parts that are worn where the seat cushions from my fat *** sitting on it, and the drivers seatbelt doesn't snap back anymore now without you straightening out the belt and taking some of the weight off of it - from just use and the spool spring being worn and used. The dash is just fine, as is the instrument cluster, etc.

That said, I've seen some cars that look like they were parked in outer space for a month, given how much UV damage there was to interior fabrics and plastics that had turned nearly white.... probably a Buick I was thinking about.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:23 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I'm a non tint person . I prefer the visibility and feel that tint makes a new car look used (just my perception) . As for the privacy vs attention I feel that each has its plus and minus points . A tinted car offers privacy yet might also get suspicion . A non tinted car gets attention which can range from a thumbs up to attracting theives .

In terms of performance I feel that visibility is compromised at night and might debate the issue in daylight (particularly in sunset , rain, or fog) with tint.

It all boils down to ones personal taste and how one weighs the various issues before making the choice .

Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
My 08 C2S had tinted windows when I got it. I really like it now and would add it to any future car I might own.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:32 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
I have it on my M3 but I left the GT3 alone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How many of you guys tint your windows?