997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hardtop or not on 09 Cab order?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:37 PM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
Hardtop or not on 09 Cab order?

I'm about to place an order for a my09 C4S cab, first pcar. I'd appreciate the group's cab owners thoughts on getting (or not) the hardtop. If there is an earlier thread on this subject, someone please point me to it, I haven't been able to find one.

I'm in the Hudson Valley of New York and winters can bad or not, very variable in recent years. I will have a set of winter tires and wheels. Will not be used as a daily driver. Just not sure I will use the hardtop, originally thought it would be good three months of the year but dealer tells me many order the hardtop and never put it on. Looking at eBay there seems to be a fair number available. On that rare winter day that allows it - may want the top down even. Anyone's experiences or thoughts would be valuable to me in deciding. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:00 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
A hardtop will definitely change the way the car handles. You will be able to feel the difference..... Most people do not use the hardtop that is why Porsche made it an option....

Old 09-19-2008, 03:16 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I'd be surprised if many people could feel the difference in handling with the hard top. Plus, I would expect that when someone is using the hard top, it wouldn't be when they planned to track the car. The reason I considered a hard top for my former cab was to have the option to put it on for longer trips, where wind noise around the top can become fatiguing.

The 996 cabs came with hard tops, and many buyers didn't even take it from the dealership. There are many on the market for a few hundred dollars, both from dealers who got tired of the stock pile, and from users who found them a nuisance for storing in their garages. Generally, they appear to have been more a nuisance than a benefit for many owners.

You may wish to post this on Rennlist forums, as Edgy01 has a hardtop for his cab, and could speak from personal experience.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:20 PM
MelsM3 is infamous around these parts
I used to live on Long Island for 30 years and Winter weather was approximately five months long [Nov thru March].

If I lived there or especially if I lived upstate, I would definitely buy a hard top.

Warmth/Quietness/Security/Better Visibility/Safety

Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
There is no reason to order a hardtop for a 997, unless you live in a climate with extreme winter weather and intend to use the car year-round. There is no excessive wind noise with the soft top. The winter wheels & tires are a very good idea. Figure December to March. Summer tires are absolutely useless in snow or ice.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:43 PM
PorscheSalesAtl is infamous around these parts
I second the no need for the Hard Top. The 997 top is a 3 layer top with plenty of insulation. Wind noise is no worse than a Coupe. Best part is you can drop the top on a nice day with the heated seats on and windows up and enjoy. The Hard Top is a pain to put on and off and will take the fun out of the car. Highly unlikely you will go through the trouble of taking it on and off. With the cost vs benefit factor the Hard Top is a waste. Your better suited to spend that money on the winter set of tires and wheels.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:22 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I agree that the hard top is likely more trouble than it is worth for most people (both in taking it off and putting it on the car, as well as storing it when not on the car). But having owned a cab and a Targa, I still say the cabs are noisier. They are less noisy than most convertibles, but still noisier than a hard top. I found more traffic noise (in freeway driving especially) coming through the top near the rear quarter windows (to the extent that I often had to check to see if my windows were fully closed), as well as a higher rumble sound over the top at higher speeds. If I were to get another cab, I would likely only consider a hard top if I found a great deal ($300 or so) and if I intended to do many longer freeway trips. Otherwise i wouldn't bother. I would definitely get a SmarTop again, which makes the cab so easy to enjoy.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:30 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
-I have the hard top and it does reduce highway and some engine noise.

-Honestly looks pretty damn good when on, anyone on this board could tell, non Porsche nut, probably not.

-If your going to drive your PCAR as a daily driver in the winter, probably worth it in the Northeast.

-It is very easy to put on/take off IF YOU HAVE 2 PEOPLE to do it, can not be done solo. It takes approx 10 to 15 min.

-If you think you are ever going to want it, order with the car because the car will come with proper bolting set up, not impossible to add later, not that easy though either.

My car came with it when I bought it. Nice to have but not essential. I would not order on a future PCAR as I have a "winter" car. How much is the hard top option for an 09?

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Recently there was another post from "Dadio" on this forum who catalogued how to install a hard top off a 996 to a 997 cab. He provided the part numbers, and said the install was not difficult. As I recall, the parts were $250 plus cost of top, and 30 minutes labor to install hardware on the car. I've seen tops for sale for well under $1000, sometimes $300.

As far as handling the top, a member on Rennlist forums (Edgy01) has an electric hoist that allows easy handling by one person. It isn't cheap (around $700 I think), but makes it much simpler.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
If living in NY you plan on driving your car in the winter you would find the hardtop a good item.

I had an SL500 with the hardtop and eventhough I am in Northern Calif, the hardtop was great for the winter season.

It's a dealer's choice. (you being the dealer of course)

Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Would suggest that if you need this much help deciding you really shouldn't get the hardtop. In any event, it's not a life changing decision either way.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
If you decide at a later date to want a hard top, can you just buy one, or is there a retrofit issue?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
If you decide at a later date to want a hard top, can you just buy one, or is there a retrofit issue?
Again, Dadio covered this recently, when he described how he retrofitted a 996 hardtop to his 997 cab quite inexpensively.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
MarcCyberWiz is infamous around these parts
hardtop unless you are coastal and love the sea breeze

Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 PM
AsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the roughAsianImage is a jewel in the rough
As you can see in my avatar I guess I am the rare person here that likes the hardtop. Plus I live in So Cal where there is pretty much no need for it at all.

Here is my take...I simply enjoy the freedom of choice. When October rolls around, Halloween ish...I slap on the hardtop and it gives the car a whole new look. Cruise around and I can "pretend" I have coupe. April rolls around and I take it off...and its like having a new car. Again, most people are right, it is a hassle and you never really NEED it...but I just like the option. Since I do not drive the car much anymore except on weekends and gtgs I may leave the top off through the winter but who knows it may get "too cold" in LA around Nov that I may slap it on. Who knows?

I dont know if this helps you or not...I like mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hardtop or not on 09 Cab order?