997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 S vs M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:00 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
997 S vs M3

Did you guys see this video?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTRAOjA22WM

Last edited by neil.schneider; 09-21-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 AM
mark911997sC is infamous around these parts
That's pretty typical, bmw driver with a dude in shotgun and the porsche with some blonde chick, LOL

Old 09-21-2008, 12:36 PM
axi
axi is infamous around these parts
Haha, "PORSCHE DRIVER CHEATED!" in big red flashing letters.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:37 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Repost

Old 09-21-2008, 03:33 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Sorry.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Sorry.
Don't be. Thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Zach is infamous around these parts
New to me!

Good video

Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 AM
I guess the new 2009 911 with the pdk and launch will crush the m3.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:46 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I guess the new 2009 911 with the pdk and launch will crush the m3.
without a doubt...the e92 m3 is still no match for the 2005-2008 997S on a track, and in terms of performance, its only faster in a straight line, and not nearly as much fun to drive.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Nugget is infamous around these parts
I may never understand the appeal of racing in a straight line.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I like the idea and the skill level is not that high, esp with pdk and launch control. Of course I have never been on a track.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 PM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
The only reason the porsche was faster was because of the PSE

Old 09-24-2008, 04:26 AM
JAY-PESOS is infamous around these partsJAY-PESOS is infamous around these parts
do you guys find that race surprising?, "okay my flame suit is on", i'm about to go out on a limb and probably get totally criticized.

i have a 05 carrera S with headers, exhaust and sport cats, and a manual. i just recently raced my buddy with a 2007 bmw m5 with a 6-speed (non-smg) with pulley and k&n drop ins

we did a 20 mph roll up to about 130 mph and we were neck and neck, we did this about 3 times because to be honest i was in shock! normally a lot of the vids i have seen posted up on the net have been normally m5's and m6's racing porsche turbos guessing they tend to be a little more in the same league?

do you guys believe the 05-08 carrera S's? are not in the same league as the m5 and m6's, because to me and my personal experiences, M5 and M6's are very overrated?

just wanted your opinions?

-jason

Old 09-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JAY-PESOS
do you guys find that race surprising?, "okay my flame suit is on", i'm about to go out on a limb and probably get totally criticized.

i have a 05 carrera S with headers, exhaust and sport cats, and a manual. i just recently raced my buddy with a 2007 bmw m5 with a 6-speed (non-smg) with pulley and k&n drop ins

we did a 20 mph roll up to about 130 mph and we were neck and neck, we did this about 3 times because to be honest i was in shock! normally a lot of the vids i have seen posted up on the net have been normally m5's and m6's racing porsche turbos guessing they tend to be a little more in the same league?

do you guys believe the 05-08 carrera S's? are not in the same league as the m5 and m6's, because to me and my personal experiences, M5 and M6's are very overrated?

just wanted your opinions?

-jason
I recently test drove both the new M3 and a late, low-mileage M6. I remember saying to the sales guy at the time that the M3 was so close in performance (in a straight line) to my 997S that I bet you couldn't separate them . Seems from the YouTube video that this was about right.

The M6 was so different that it was difficult to make a meaningful comparison. For a start, compared to the Porsche, it's ENORMOUS! You're also aware of a much greater weight. The V10 is one hell of an engine and once you give it its head, you're instantly aware of a monster top-end power delivery, but..... From all the road tests and hype, I'd expected this car to feel REALLY quick. It didn't. There was huge power but also huge weight holding it back. The M6 was definitely quicker than my (currently stock) 997S but it was a small difference not a massive one - it felt 10% faster not 25% if you know what I mean. The lasting impression was of huge amounts of energy being deployed to move a mountain! The exact opposite of the Porsche where just enough energy is being used to intelligently get a similar result from a much lighter package. No wonder the BMW's fuel consumption is so huge!

In conclusion then, I could just about believe that a well modded 997S might give an M5 or M6 (they're so similar performance wise) a run for its money at lower speeds. Over 120mph, I would expect the M5/6 to just disappear into the distance. At these speeds weight is less relevant, just power v. air resistance, and in this the BMW is light years ahead of the 997S.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:37 AM
JAY-PESOS is infamous around these partsJAY-PESOS is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

I recently test drove both the new M3 and a late, low-mileage M6. I remember saying to the sales guy at the time that the M3 was so close in performance (in a straight line) to my 997S that I bet you couldn't separate them . Seems from the YouTube video that this was about right.

The M6 was so different that it was difficult to make a meaningful comparison. For a start, compared to the Porsche, it's ENORMOUS! You're also aware of a much greater weight. The V10 is one hell of an engine and once you give it its head, you're instantly aware of a monster top-end power delivery, but..... From all the road tests and hype, I'd expected this car to feel REALLY quick. It didn't. There was huge power but also huge weight holding it back. The M6 was definitely quicker than my (currently stock) 997S but it was a small difference not a massive one - it felt 10% faster not 25% if you know what I mean. The lasting impression was of huge amounts of energy being deployed to move a mountain! The exact opposite of the Porsche where just enough energy is being used to intelligently get a similar result from a much lighter package. No wonder the BMW's fuel consumption is so huge!

In conclusion then, I could just about believe that a well modded 997S might give an M5 or M6 (they're so similar performance wise) a run for its money at lower speeds. Over 120mph, I would expect the M5/6 to just disappear into the distance. At these speeds weight is less relevant, just power v. air resistance, and in this the BMW is light years ahead of the 997S.
ian, i completely agree with you that the M5 and M6 are monsters at high speed above 120, i liked your explanations on weight and i think you are right. the one thing that bothers me so much about the bmw v10 is, power is not there at lower rpms and only starts to really get going when their is no more room left unless you have a straight highway ahead, probably explaining why most of my run-ins with m5 and m6's left me saying they are not really that quick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 S vs M3