997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Exhaust System Help Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008 | 04:23 AM
|
adam89911 is infamous around these parts
Exhaust System Help Needed

I have an 05 Carrera S. The car was purchased with aftermarket headers and bypass pipes. The car is too loud for me. I was given the stock mufflers when I purchased the car. I attempted to put them on but the brackets are no longer present to install since the headers were changed out. How can I put the stock mufflers back on the car with the headers?

If not possible then does anyone want to trade stock headers and brackets for a set of aftermarket headers and bypass pipes. You pay the swaping fee and shipping.

Adam

Old 09-23-2008 | 01:22 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adam89911
I have an 05 Carrera S. The car was purchased with aftermarket headers and bypass pipes. The car is too loud for me. I was given the stock mufflers when I purchased the car. I attempted to put them on but the brackets are no longer present to install since the headers were changed out. How can I put the stock mufflers back on the car with the headers?

If not possible then does anyone want to trade stock headers and brackets for a set of aftermarket headers and bypass pipes. You pay the swaping fee and shipping.

Adam
I don't recall any different brackets when I changed from stock to X51 headers. It was a bolt on from muffler to header to engine.
No brackets on headers, unless your aftermarkets were not meant for stock mufflers.
Sorry my stock headers are gone!

Old 09-23-2008 | 02:59 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Take pictures so we/I cn see what you are missing. Which as larrytrk said there should not be anything missing.

What you really need to quiet it down is stock or after market cats.

Stock will quiet it down the most. After market some.

Keep the headers IMO.

What brand of exhaust system is it?

Old 09-23-2008 | 06:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dndodd
Take pictures so we/I cn see what you are missing. Which as larrytrk said there should not be anything missing.

What you really need to quiet it down is stock or after market cats.

Stock will quiet it down the most. After market some.

Keep the headers IMO.

What brand of exhaust system is it?
+1 on the headers. I would add a set of aftermarket cats. Car will pull harder.

Old 09-23-2008 | 08:05 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
you can put stock mufflers without changing the headers. If you are interested I have PSE and fabspeed mufflers for sale

Old 09-24-2008 | 11:26 AM
|
Pictures of Exhaust

I will take pictures tonight if I have time. I would like to keep the headers if I can. The bypass pipes are SUPER LOUD, I do have stock cats.

Thanks for the help, and I hope to have pictures soon so we can figure this thing out.

Adam

Last edited by adam89911; 09-24-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2008 | 05:48 PM
|
Pictures

I have pictures, who can load them for me?

Adam

Old 09-25-2008 | 06:26 AM
It is not that difficult. Especially if I can do it.

I think you need to just make the picture smaller like an e-mail picture and then attach to your post. Use the the advanced post option then manage attachments, I think. I haven't done it in a while.

Old 09-25-2008 | 06:48 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by adam89911

Adam
I'm assuming you mean the large brackets that attach the mufflers to the car? When you take the mufflers off these cars they come out from under the rear of the car with the brackets attached and there are 2 long bolts that hold the muffler to the bracket. I'm guessing that whoever removed the mufflers and fitted the bypass pipes ditched the brackets together with the mufflers so you now can't attach any mufflers to the car?

The brackets don't connect to the headers in any way.

You will simply have to get the parts from Porsche. Parts needed (sorry I don't have the part #s) are the 2 brackets, the 3 nuts that attach each of them to the car and the 2 long bolts (with nuts) that attach the mufflers to each of the brackets. You will then be able to fit the mufflers of your choice. I'd recommend Tubis if you're keeping the standard cats. They're absolutely superb.

Old 09-26-2008 | 11:01 AM
Ian,

I think you are spot on. When he said bypass pipes I was thinking a straight pipe instead of a cat.

He may have the brackets attached to the old mufflers.

David

Old 09-27-2008 | 08:21 AM
|
Exhaust

Well, Ian is the winner!

Thank you, I got a parts diagram from the Suncoast. I could see which parts I was missing (1) 996-111-127-61 and (2)996-111-128-59 which are exactly what Ian had advised. I am still unclear if these brackets will clear the aftermarket headers. The design of the headers(the way the pipes are routed) is different than the stock design.

I may have to buy X51 headers and the brackets in order to put the mufflers back on the car. I will need to buy the brackets either way, I think they are needed to install any type of mufflers.

Do any aftermarket mufflers (Tubi, Fabspeed) come with their own brackets.

Does anyone know someone who is selling just the brackets?

Thanks again for the help everyone! 1st step done and on to step 2.

Adam

Old 09-27-2008 | 03:00 PM
I doubt you need to change the headers. Try it before you go to the expense of changing headers.

Old 09-28-2008 | 07:26 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Dude - the bypass pipes are what is making all the noise (they pretty much ruin the acoustics of the car) - headers don't add that much volume.

try to keep the headers on if you can. You can buy the brackets for cheap...

Last edited by Gundo; 09-28-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: pffft
Old 09-28-2008 | 10:34 AM
|
Exhaust brackets

Still looking for the brackets! I do want to keep the Headers, but I need to find the brackets first to see if they clear them.

I would appreciate any help if someone knows where I can get the brackets.

Thanks to everyone!

Adam

Old 09-28-2008 | 11:34 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Did you try Suncoast?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Help Needed