997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

HID fog lights

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:33 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
HID fog lights

Has anyone tried putting in actual HID conversions for the fog lights, not the HOEN stuff, actual HIDs. Does anyone know if it will melt the housing, is their space for the ballast behind the bumper?

Old 09-26-2008, 10:33 AM
mattjtaylor50 is infamous around these parts
+1
i want to do this if possible

Old 09-26-2008, 12:20 PM
YseanY is infamous around these parts
i think i've seen someone do this on the turbo.

personally, i've done this on R56 mini fogs and e46 m3 fogs before, no problems

Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Check with these folks:

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...WPROD&ProdID=8

I had another link but it's no longer working.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:16 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
I was thinking of doing this too- The kits with the new digital ballasts and correct bulb size are cheap. Several good ones on ebay or downtown LA in the car stereo electronics district. Shouldn't be hard, just need to tap power for the ballasts and mount them somewhere secure. Bulbs should fit right in the existing socket.

Sounds like a good Saturday project

Old 09-27-2008, 02:18 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
What are the brightest halogen high beam bulbs available?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:55 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I asked the same question to a VW mechanic that works on my Touareg. He told me that the factory wiring harness is not sufficent to handle the voltage that the aftermarket lighting system requires.

If you switch the systems it could melt your wires.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:49 PM
plz
plz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I asked the same question to a VW mechanic that works on my Touareg. He told me that the factory wiring harness is not sufficent to handle the voltage that the aftermarket lighting system requires.
That doesn't sound right as the high voltage of HID lights occurs between the ballast and the bulb, ie. the wiring in the kit not the car's wiring.

You might want to ask him what he really means.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
What are the brightest halogen high beam bulbs available?
Xenon brightness is based upon the Kelvin scale. The optimum value for car lighting is about 5,000 Kelvin. It yields the cleanest light.

If you go much higher you then start getting a "blueish" color which takes you out of range.

As to wiring, it and of itself should not be an issue. You have to make sure, though, that the socket can tolerate the higher heat of the xenon bulb.

Check with the suppliers to discover what they do for the sockets. If they say OEM is ok be somewhat leary!

Last edited by Gcalo; 09-27-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:03 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by plz
That doesn't sound right as the high voltage of HID lights occurs between the ballast and the bulb, ie. the wiring in the kit not the car's wiring.

You might want to ask him what he really means.
hmm, that's not entirely true.. it also depends on the wattage of the HID bulb itself and the quality of the kits and its ballast. I think that's the issue that NorthVan's mechanic is referring to.

If the bulb draws more than 35watts, you are always running the risk of pulling more current through the stock wires than it can handle, thus putting the wires/harness at risk of melting. Also, if it is a low quality ballast, it could be drawing additional "phantom current" that creeps above the marked wattage as well.

That said though, you could always just get the kits with the optional wires that tap power from the battery directly. Some kits even come with them.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by strife_wy
hmm, that's not entirely true.. it also depends on the wattage of the HID bulb itself and the quality of the kits and its ballast. I think that's the issue that NorthVan's mechanic is referring to.

If the bulb draws more than 35watts, you are always running the risk of pulling more current through the stock wires than it can handle, thus putting the wires/harness at risk of melting. Also, if it is a low quality ballast, it could be drawing additional "phantom current" that creeps above the marked wattage as well.

That said though, you could always just get the kits with the optional wires that tap power from the battery directly. Some kits even come with them.
That sounds right.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Xenon brightness is based upon the Kelvin scale. The optimum value for car lighting is about 5,000 Kelvin. It yields the cleanest light.
Your confusing brightness, which is measured in candles, and light color or temperature, which is measured in degree's Kelvin.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Gcalo
5000 degrees Kelvin is about the same lighting temperature as natural daylight.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Minok
Your confusing brightness, which is measured in candles, and light color or temperature, which is measured in degree's Kelvin.
You are correct. Thanks for catching that.

My reference was to cleanliness of light with proper color balance.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
ROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the rough
Xenon lights will NOT melt the housing as it only comsumes 35 w compared to a halgoen bulb 55w or higher. I did this with my old e55, they now have credit card sized ballast that can be easily hidden somewhere. It is possible

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: HID fog lights