997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dension Installation Issue: “Amplifier Not Available”

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:34 AM
MattTheCarNut is infamous around these parts
Dension Installation Issue: “Amplifier Not Available”

I don't usually post here, but, upon searching your archives, I noticed you all have a lot of experience with this unit....

I tried to install a Dension GW 500 yesterday in my Mom’s 997 with Bose, no Nav module, and no CD Changer.

I inserted the Dension before the AMP in the MOST ring as follows:
  • Unplugged Fiber Optic Input from the AMP.
  • Used the Fiber Optic cable marked “car side” from the kit and plugged one end into the Dension’s “car side” Fiber Optic Input receiver and the other end into the unplugged Fiber Optic Input Input that I took out of the amp.
  • Used the Fiber Optic cable marked “CDC Side” from the kit and plugged one end into the Dension’s “CDC Side” Fiber Optic Input receiver and the other into the AMP.
I gave the Dension power by doing the following:
  • Found the unused CD Changer wiring harness and spliced the brown wire from the harness to the Dension’s power cable’s black wire.
  • Spliced the red/green cable from the harness to the Dension’s power cable’s red wire.
  • Plugged the other end of the Dension’s power cable into the Dension unit
I then set the DIP switch to reflect Porsche PCM without CD Changer. I plugged in the AUX receiver with the on/off switch to the Dension.

The little blue light on the AUX/Reset device worked so I assumed the device had power.

I thought it was weird that when I switched the device to the unfilled circle (called bypass mode?) the amp worked. When I switched the Dension to the circle that’s filled in (Gateway Mode?), I got the warning message “Amplifier Not Available.”

Weird, I thought. But, we went to the dealership and had them enable the CDC Changer. Porsche North Houston did it for free (Thanks, Guys!).

I got in the car at the dealership after the CDC was enabled and noticed the following:
  • With the Dension in bypass mode, the PCM does not recognize the CD Changer and the AMP doesn’t work.
  • With the Dension in GW Mode, the PCM DOES recognize the CD Changer and the AMP still doesn’t work.

Weirder Part: Back at Home:
  • With the Dension in GW Mode (filled in circle), I was able to calibrate the unit via the PCM (+Seek 6/6 and all that jazz).
    • I pressed CD to enable the CDC.
    • It recognizes my Mom’s iPOD
    • I can press and hold “2” to select and Artist. The artist appears, then disc 5 is selected, and I can choose a songs from that artist.
    • For example: on the PCM, I see “Madonna” then underneath it says “Ray of Light” with the timer. So, it was working exactly like it’s suppose to, but……..
THE “AMP IS NOT AVAILABLE.”

This morning I tried to trouble shoot. I hard reset the Dension, unplugged it, plugged it back in, made sure it had power, redid all of that with the car running to make sure it wasn’t the power.

I even tested the Fiber optic lights. I made sure the red light was coming out of the car’s initial cable. It was. I then hooked up the “CAR SIDE” cable and made sure light was still coming out of it. It was. With the Dension on, I noticed the opposite Fiber Optic light on the Dension’s “Car Side” receive was blinking. Plugged the “car side” back into the Dension. I then took out the “CDC Side” cable, and no light was coming out of the Dension.

Is that normal?

I have no idea if I did something wrong, if the car is not enabled properly, or if the unit is bad. I can understand if the amp was not working and I couldn’t get the ipod to work via the PCM, but it does work, there is just no sound b/c the stupid car doesn’t recognize something. Boo.

Any help would be appreciated……

I have to drive back to Austin soon. I’m afraid I’ll have to plug the car Fiber optic back into the amp, and let the Dension sit useless in the trunk until I can visit again.

No Madonna for Mother….

Old 09-27-2008, 02:05 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
CDC side is only to plug into a CDC. You have to tap cable before and after car side. Use the other wiring diagram for no CDC setup.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
pretty sure light should be coming out of the Dension - I don't have the CDC either and it works great - so we CAN make this work!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
have you tried to lock the car, wait like 2min and then unlock it? i hear that resets the gateway and forces it to look for new components.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM
rvklein is infamous around these parts
  • Unplugged Fiber Optic Input from the AMP.
  • Used the Fiber Optic cable marked “car side” from the kit and plugged one end into the Dension’s “car side” Fiber Optic Input receiver and the other end into the unplugged Fiber Optic Input Input that I took out of the amp.
  • Used the Fiber Optic cable marked “CDC Side” from the kit and plugged one end into the Dension’s “CDC Side” Fiber Optic Input receiver and the other into the AMP.
This is fresh in my mind because I just finished my install TODAY =)

Your installation is incorrect. You don't use the CDC side at all. It's only used for hanging a CD changer off the Dension. use only the CAR SIDE optical cable set up

You need to separate the 2 fiber lines going to the AMP. Take the IN that was going into the AMP and put it into the IN of the Dension unit. Then take the OUT of the Dension unit run it to the IN of the AMP. All the connectors required to do so are provided.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Matt, thanks for the email. Glad you got it sorted out. Yes, following those pdf files to the letter is quite helpful. How's mom like the setup now?

Old 09-28-2008, 01:18 PM
emthree is infamous around these parts
Dension flooded my bmw's computer once, which caused me to need a reflash. My headlights did not work propperly, high beams did not flash, one tail light was out and my head unit stopped working. Ever since then I stopped using Dension products. Be carefull.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 AM
MattTheCarNut is infamous around these parts
Thankgiving Fun = Installing Dension iPod Connector

Over the weekend, I finished installing the Dension Gateway 500 into my mom's 997 Coupe.
Isn't it amazing how much plastic crap can be removed from the trunk:

I started the installation last time I was home, but couldn't figure out how to do it property. The instructions are vague (I'm being nice). I mean, the instructions could be adequate for those who've worked with fiber optics and the MOST system, but I was a beginner.

After many emails to Eric and using the 911Envy.com (Caymanclub.net), I finished the install.
I inserted the Dension before the BOSE amp in the MOST ring (Don't I sound technical?...lol..not). I then tapped the power supply from the unused CD Changer so the Dension could have constant power. After having the PORCH dealership (There is finally one 30 mins away instead of an hour!) enable the CD Changer, we were all set.

I was worried about my mom's ability to use the interface via the PCM. It isn't as slick as BMW's USB iPOD adaptor, but the Dension is the best it's going to get from aftermarket. Using the "next" button to toggle thru artists, then having to hold down the same button to select that artist is strange. I found using the right rotary **** to toggle thru artists and songs in the Audio menu a lot easier. But, I'm glad I installed the unit myself. It gave me a better idea of how fiber optics and the MOST system works in our (well, not mine) Porsches. The only problem now is, I told my mom Bluetooth and Sat Radio are available.....I better start studying those instal guides pronto....

Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Your mom will love being the DJ in her 997.

What I love most about having an IPOD/Dension is that I (bit of a control freak) control the music in my car. I've got a 30gb IPOD in the front trunk that provides more than enough music to satisfy my 'music surfing' habit.

Don't forget to download the latest Dension F/W.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
MattTheCarNut - do you have a link to the instructions from caymanclub.net?

Thank you!!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:30 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
I don't want to sound like a dumb ****, but why is it under the hood? I must have done 100 ipod installs on Porsche's and have yet to install one under the hood. The only grommet i found runs near the battery and that is horrible on low voltage audio (noise issues)

Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
I keep getting the "amplifier not available" message on my 997 with no cd changer (or navi). Do I need to take the car to the dealer to enable the changer?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by medici78
I keep getting the "amplifier not available" message on my 997 with no cd changer (or navi). Do I need to take the car to the dealer to enable the changer?
Since you posted your issue on this thread I assume that you just installed a Dension 500 in a 997 w/o NAV or CD Changer. If that is the case then I suspect you're on the right track and need to take your car to a Porsche shop that has a PIWIS so it can enable the MOST loop.

GL . . . .

Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AP 997S
Since you posted your issue on this thread I assume that you just installed a Dension 500 in a 997 w/o NAV or CD Changer. If that is the case then I suspect you're on the right track and need to take your car to a Porsche shop that has a PIWIS so it can enable the MOST loop.

GL . . . .
I was hoping the car would take it, but oh well. It's actually in my RT12, but since its a 997-based car I figured the job should be the same. Sucks cuz the closest P-Car dealer is over 200 miles away.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by medici78
I was hoping the car would take it, but oh well. It's actually in my RT12, but since its a 997-based car I figured the job should be the same. Sucks cuz the closest P-Car dealer is over 200 miles away.

Doesn't need to be a 'P-Car' dealer . . . . Any Indy w/ a PIWIS can do the job as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension Installation Issue: “Amplifier Not Available”