997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rusty Quad Exhaust Tips, help? (pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Good news, found a shop right near my office that does it and it's only $50. Whoo hoo

Old 10-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
Good news, found a shop right near my office that does it and it's only $50. Whoo hoo
Ok, so now for the benefit of the rest of us, what sort of shop do we look for.

I know enough to know its not a pottery place, but to get something sand blasted, a ceramic based paint applied, and that baked.. I don't know how to begin searching for such a place.

What are 'keywords' to put in, in a yellow pages or google-maps search?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 PM
ATL
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Minok
Ok, so now for the benefit of the rest of us, what sort of shop do we look for.

I know enough to know its not a pottery place, but to get something sand blasted, a ceramic based paint applied, and that baked.. I don't know how to begin searching for such a place.

What are 'keywords' to put in, in a yellow pages or google-maps search?
No problem, if you're in Atlanta, this shop does it:

http://www.millerpowdercoating.com/contactus.html

Basically start with a local body shop and ask them if they do it. Some do some down, if they don't have the capability, more than likely they will be able to refer you to a shop that does it.

It is definitely not a "ceramic shop" that you're looking for, I called a painted pottery store and they were VERY confused. lol I hope this helps!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
No problem, if you're in Atlanta, this shop does it:

http://www.millerpowdercoating.com/contactus.html

Basically start with a local body shop and ask them if they do it. Some do some down, if they don't have the capability, more than likely they will be able to refer you to a shop that does it.

It is definitely not a "ceramic shop" that you're looking for, I called a painted pottery store and they were VERY confused. lol I hope this helps!

Yes, that helps a lot. Unfortunately, I'm in the Seattle area, so I'll have to do my own digging, but now that I know what to look for, its easy enough. Hey, my car isn't being built until tomorrow (oct 2).. by the way is that when they start the build or when they finish the build (ie when it rolls off the line and is tested and ready to be sent out for delivery) ?

Knowing a powder-coat painting or high end body shop is the place to start is just what I needed to know. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:07 PM
exophthalmos is infamous around these parts
OP, I used toothpaste and a toothbrush. GL. John

Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 PM
axi
axi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by exophthalmos
OP, I used toothpaste and a toothbrush. GL. John
What kind of toothpaste? All I got is Aquafresh

Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Harvey in MD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bitterazn
this is a really interesting idea. what exactly are the benefits of ceramic? and what kind of shop would I be looking for to get this done (auto body . . . )?
Here's the story. I bought some used Porsche wheels for autoxing. I wanted them to look goooood. I found a shop that does powder coating. While dropping my wheels off, I asked them about doing my exhaust tips. They said the powder coating would not last very long because of the heat from the exhaust. They sent me to the shop two doors down that only does ceramic coating. Most of their work is on race cars for people to want their engine bay and parts to stand up the heat. I saw manifolds, headers and lots other items in the shop for the ceramic coating.

If there is no listing for ceramic coating, try calling a powder coating shop and asking them. Try asking a wheel finishing shop, they may know of one. Even try calling a hot rod shop.

Harvey in MD

Old 10-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Harvey in MD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bitterazn
this is a really interesting idea. what exactly are the benefits of ceramic? and what kind of shop would I be looking for to get this done (auto body . . . )?

I just thought of the answer where to look. It may take a little time on the phone, but try a metal refinishing shop.

Harvey in MD

Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
You can also use Flitz or a cream metal/jewlery polish.