997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why Can't Porsche Have a Fully-Functional iPod Interface

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:27 PM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Why Can't Porsche Have a Fully-Functional iPod Interface

I don't get why Porsche still does not have a fully functional iPod interface. I read threads about the problems people have with third party providers and I just have to wonder why can't Porsche come up with that option. Maybe it will be available in the newer models, but Porsche is certainly behind the curve here.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Porsche let's the competition have one thing that they are better at.

All joking aside, German cars are always a year or two behind on electronics. I have the Dension iPod and Tooki Blue Tooth both work very well.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:57 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Porsche is always behind on audio/GPS technology.

Second the Denison, it is impressive setup. The unit will allow seamless integration of iPod data to your audio system. Cost ~ $500.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
They Do.

Originally Posted by nicoff
I don't get why Porsche still does not have a fully functional iPod interface. I read threads about the problems people have with third party providers and I just have to wonder why can't Porsche come up with that option. Maybe it will be available in the newer models, but Porsche is certainly behind the curve here.
They do have a functional ipod interface. Its on the 2009 model year cars. It just took them a while to get there. Its a Porsche... all changes are made in geologic time. If you want an iPod interface on a 2008 or earlier, you need aftermarket help.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:10 PM
997 Dude is infamous around these parts
Current solution is FM modulator. Not a 21st Century solution.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by 997 Dude
Current solution is FM modulator. Not a 21st Century solution.
So are you saying that it is the case that Porsche's new 09 option of (USB/iPod/Aux) input for the new 997.2 cars is to provide direct interfacing of the USB port and iPod interface to the PCM system for selecting songs, displaying playlists, and other data pertaining to the files on the USB device or iPod, letting you navigate through the device's content via the PCM, but then not provide a hardwired interface for the actual audio signal from the USB, aux or iPod interface, but to rather transmit that via an FM carrier wave?

It is possible, but that sounds really unlikely to me. I can imagine the Porsche 'add on' to built cars would be an FM modulated solution, but the factory installed in the 09 cars version?

If it is, I'd like to see a source reference where that information is coming from.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:40 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
So are you saying that it is the case that Porsche's new 09 option of (USB/iPod/Aux) input for the new 997.2 cars is to provide direct interfacing of the USB port and iPod interface to the PCM system for selecting songs, displaying playlists, and other data pertaining to the files on the USB device or iPod, letting you navigate through the device's content via the PCM, but then not provide a hardwired interface for the actual audio signal from the USB, aux or iPod interface, but to rather transmit that via an FM carrier wave?

It is possible, but that sounds really unlikely to me. I can imagine the Porsche 'add on' to built cars would be an FM modulated solution, but the factory installed in the 09 cars version?

If it is, I'd like to see a source reference where that information is coming from.
Porsche's solution for he first gen 997 is a FM Modulator, the 2nd gen has a much better system.

Don't buy a FM Mod, buy one of the third party solutions.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Porsche's solution for he first gen 997 is a FM Modulator, the 2nd gen has a much better system.

Don't buy a FM Mod, buy one of the third party solutions.

Agreed.

I assume that Porsche just left it to the aftermarket to provide those upgrade options. It would be nice if they provided a direct interface.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is infamous around these parts
Porsches are known for their engine, suspension and transmission engineering,--not that stuff. If you want a platform for an iPod, buy a Toyota.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:34 PM
PorscheSalesAtl is infamous around these parts
The PCM 3.0 universal audio input works great. It is a direct link to Ipod/ USB and can control most functions of your device. This new system is very quick. I'm amazed at how well it works. There is also a Aux input that is simply an analog signal.

There are many aftermarket solutions for a PCM 2.0 system. Honestly most of them are slower than you would like, some lock up. Your best and most simple cost effective way is FM modulated. I have seen too many customers upset with the aftermarket options to recommend any of them. The choice is clear if you love your Ipod buy an 09.