997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Nitrogen in Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
Nitrogen in Tires

My OPC filled my tires using Nitrogen for $80 and said its a one time fee.
I feel the handling and the rubber are a bit different now, but can't describe.
I understand the pros but can't understand the advantage of handling.
Any input?

Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
RandomName is infamous around these parts
Air is 78% nitrogen. Perhaps the improve in handling is that fact that you can feel your tires are now an ounce lighter?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 PM
REFLUX is just really niceREFLUX is just really niceREFLUX is just really niceREFLUX is just really nice
It could simply be a matter of tire pressure. If that isn't the case then it's a placebo effect.
I had my tires filled with Nitrogen (free of charge) and there was no difference whatsoever. It expanded just as much as air when the tires got hot.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Vegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to beholdVegas is a splendid one to behold
Nitrogen is free at Costco.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I don't see how replacing those 21 percent oxygen and small amounts of other gasses makes a difference in the tires. The air is 78% nitrogen already.

Either the tire pressure was different than before, or you think its better (as others have mentioned).

Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned
michael2008 is infamous around these parts
Tire

Tires, or tyres are ring-shaped parts, either pneumatic or solid that fit around wheels to protect them and enhance their function. Pneumatic tires are used on many types of vehicles, such as bicycles, motorcycles, cars, trucks, earthmovers, and aircraft.
__________________________________________________ ________________
Carhartt Work Gloves investment real estate

Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cephas
My OPC filled my tires using Nitrogen for $80 and said its a one time fee.
I feel the handling and the rubber are a bit different now, but can't describe.
I understand the pros but can't understand the advantage of handling.
Any input?
If you didn't ask for this or approve it, I'd ask for a refund. $80 is way above market - as someone said free at Costco and most good tire shops may charge at most $20 for all 4 tires. But then again it's Porsche N2, hence the markup.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
life time refill for free though....

Old 10-07-2008, 12:54 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cephas
life time refill for free though....
I've had N2 in my tires since May 2007 and have not added any - pressures are rock solid both using TPM system and a high quality manual gauge. You'll probably sell the car before you take advantage of the lifetime offer.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Nitrogen in tires........

Pure nitrogen is technically a superior choice vs. air (78 % nitrogen) which includes water vapor, other trace gases, oil, etc. unless you are filling with breathing grade air.............

Nitrogen will diffuse through rubber more slowly, and pressure is maintained longer. Nitrogen diatomic molecule is larger than oxygen diatomic - has to do with chemical bonds and position on periodic table (electronegativity and bond lengths), not molecular weight.

Nitrogen has a smaller coefficient of thermal conductivity or heat transfer, so technically, it should not have as great of a fluctuation in pressure due to heat transfer.......

Nitrogen is chemically inert, but I doubt that this has any short term effect for normal street driving re. tire deterioration or internal rim corrosion.

Nitrogen is useful for those extreme conditions at the track or military (planes, etc).

I would suggest that nitrogen is useful for day to day if it is less expensive or free - as long as pressures are maintained, air or nitrogen, thats where the benefit and savings are found.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:10 PM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
unless you have two valve stems it's impossible to really get much better than normal air. with two stems you can pump through and make the mixture more pure.

even then it's pretty much a scam.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
slidingk1 is infamous around these parts
Nitrogen is much better on the track makes a world of difference.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by slidingk1
Nitrogen is much better on the track makes a world of difference.
How so?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
MelsM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by slidingk1
Nitrogen is much better for the dealer's income.
fixed for accuracy.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:47 AM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
nitrogen at a track day can in theory be nice to have because you will have less pressure fluctuation as the tires heat up and cool down. the real problem is how do you get a decently pure mixture into the tires. It's not like you can "take the air out" before you fill them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in Tires