997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

You have 3K to add HP what do you do....997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
You have 3K to add HP what do you do....997

OK, looking for the best way to add HP to a 997 with quality parts. Nothing needs to be polished and no need to pay for brand leadership. Looking for those that know the best way to spend 3K on their 997 to get true reliable HP and not void any warranty. Also 3K won't go far in the new market so please feel free to price out used parts based on what we typically see parts run for on the used market etc....

Thanks, interested in seeing what people say. Lot of people adding parts that look like thay have actually caused more harm then good, so looking for the experts to clear the air..... Plenum saga, K/N CAI setting off warning lights, exhaust drowning and stripping HP, etc... Would be great if you could brake it down a bit like this.

example only.....
XYZ Mufflers and headers used = $$$$ = XX HP gain
X&Z software = (remember reliable safe) = X HP gain
XYZ Airbox = X Hp gain
Total = HP XX
(please no recomadations to add better tires and take a DE course....great data but not what I am looking for)

just curious what it would take to get to 350-360hp total range.... thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 AM
hformrace1 is infamous around these parts
For what its worth, I would save up another $10K and go for the supercharger. Can't say its the best bang for the buck but in this caliber arena this mod seems to make the most sense. I'm setting money aside to do just the same.
When my buddies and I go for a Sunday cruise we get 'hit up' by anything ranging from vipers to 'highly' modified imports. Like the rest of the people on this great forum, I do not approve of street racing but I also have a PULSE, and when a fellow enthusiast wants to check out my performance potential, sometimes I just want to 'smoke his a$$' . Granted I choose my fights carefully, I'm not suicidal. So long story short, anything less than any sort of forced induction won't do jack squat to your $100k sports car so save up. If you must have something in the mean while, like I did as well, I went with K&N intake from a 6speeder (BNIB for $225) and Gundo exhaust hack (+/- $100). No performance gains to really shout about but it holds its own very well against other more expensive mods.
Good luck with your quest for power .

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
13k+

SC is a way I will most likley go, but have a feeling one just cant strap on a SC to a 997 but will need a few other things to get the true perfo gains so maybe creping along the 15-16K range......still a strong consideration no doubt...

Originally Posted by hformrace1
For what its worth, I would save up another $10K and go for the supercharger. Can't say its the best bang for the buck but in this caliber arena this mod seems to make the most sense. I'm setting money aside to do just the same.
When my buddies and I go for a Sunday cruise we get 'hit up' by anything ranging from vipers to 'highly' modified imports. Like the rest of the people on this great forum, I do not approve of street racing but I also have a PULSE, and when a fellow enthusiast wants to check out my performance potential, sometimes I just want to 'smoke his a$$' . Granted I choose my fights carefully, I'm not suicidal. So long story short, anything less than any sort of forced induction won't do jack squat to your $100k sports car so save up. If you must have something in the mean while, like I did as well, I went with K&N intake from a 6speeder (BNIB for $225) and Gundo exhaust hack (+/- $100). No performance gains to really shout about but it holds its own very well against other more expensive mods.
Good luck with your quest for power .

Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM
christx997 is infamous around these parts
If your trying to add a little thrill to your p-car, you got it down. Software upgrade is around 1200-1500, intake 300, exhaust about 1000-1500. Hp gains for the add-ons are argueable, software claim about 15-20hp gain, intake 8-10hp gain, full exhaust 12-15hp gain (anybody can correct me if im wrong). You can defintly feel & hear the difference if you get those mods. For the warranty issue, i talked to guys in the service department and they say, technically the warranty is voided for only the parts that you replace, but in some places they really dont stress to much about "bolt ons". As for the supercharger that some people were talking about, i would only get if its in your budget range or if your a weekend warrior (track days) if your going that route theres are alot of aftermarket companies that do a fantastic job installing them, other than that you shouldnt get one, it will defintly void alot of warranties with the engine. Hope this post helps you out.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
If you want both reliablity & performance I would take the $15 to $18K that you'd invest in a SC Kit and use it to buy either a 997TT or a 2009 997S.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I like to mod

Thanks, but not the way I want to get there..... you mean put 13K towards another 17K plus my car for a 997TT (60K+13K+17K=100K) used or 13K + 13K range plus my car for a 09s....new 09 997S well optioned near 90K mark, plus come with terrible wheels and would need areo kit, coil overs etc... want to mod. + a 997 SC none S will walk a 997s and 997.2s...... Love the sleeper factor....

Originally Posted by AP 997S
If you want both reliablity & performance I would take the $15 to $18K that you'd invest in a SC Kit and use it to buy either a 997TT or a 2009 997S.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 AM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
sell the 997 and buy a Turbo

Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
or A LAMBO

THANKS, but how can a 3K budget to gain power thread result in the recomendation of getting a Turbo P car.... how about an enzo for that matter.
Assuming the recomendation is to get a 997TT not a 996TT

Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
sell the 997 and buy a Turbo

Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM
hformrace1 is infamous around these parts
Be patient Bro. I feel you. Between running my business and raising my 3 kids, if I had a dollar for everytime I spent my money on anything but the porsche.......I would already have a kick a$$ car. Everyone on this forum is just trying to give you alternative options. I agree with you though, some of the answers are not what you asked for, mine included I'm sure.
Anyway, I'm following the development of VF engineering supercharger kit very closely and it looks promising, plus they are local to me. By the time I feel comfy enough to drop the dough, hopefully majority of the bugs will have been ironed out and hear from other 'first generation' owners about pros and cons. Lamborghini would be sweet though .
Cheers.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM
agreed

yes SC maybe the way to go and was the orinal plan once PPI runs out.....my 997tt rear deck lid and wing arrived and sporting that piece the car can't stay stock for long all show, no go is ......

I love to mod, and again whats great with SC is it will be much faster then an S 997 or S 997.2!

Originally Posted by hformrace1
Be patient Bro. I feel you. Between running my business and raising my 3 kids, if I had a dollar for everytime I spent my money on anything but the porsche.......I would already have a kick a$$ car. Everyone on this forum is just trying to give you alternative options. I agree with you though, some of the answers are not what you asked for, mine included I'm sure.
Anyway, I'm following the development of VF engineering supercharger kit very closely and it looks promising, plus they are local to me. By the time I feel comfy enough to drop the dough, hopefully majority of the bugs will have been ironed out and hear from other 'first generation' owners about pros and cons. Lamborghini would be sweet though .
Cheers.

Last edited by mickfluff; 10-07-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:40 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mickfluff
OK, looking for the best way to add HP to a 997 with quality parts. Nothing needs to be polished and no need to pay for brand leadership. Looking for those that know the best way to spend 3K on their 997 to get true reliable HP and not void any warranty. Also 3K won't go far in the new market so please feel free to price out used parts based on what we typically see parts run for on the used market etc....

Thanks, interested in seeing what people say. Lot of people adding parts that look like thay have actually caused more harm then good, so looking for the experts to clear the air..... Plenum saga, K/N CAI setting off warning lights, exhaust drowning and stripping HP, etc... Would be great if you could brake it down a bit like this.

example only.....
XYZ Mufflers and headers used = $$$$ = XX HP gain
X&Z software = (remember reliable safe) = X HP gain
XYZ Airbox = X Hp gain
Total = HP XX
(please no recomadations to add better tires and take a DE course....great data but not what I am looking for)

just curious what it would take to get to 350-360hp total range.... thanks
Get the E-bay/Suncoast headers - maybe 5 HP.
Software -10 HP
AWE CATS. 5-10 HP.
That should keep you under $3,000 and you will feel and hear a difference.

If you want a set used E-bay headers PM me.

I found many of my parts used, group buys, or on sale for under $6,000 added probably 35-45 HP and a significantly improved mid-range per my highly sensitive Butt Dyno.

My mods; AWE Headers and Cats, Remus exhaust(almost stock quiet inside), Plenum and RSS modified Throttle Body, X-51 Air Box, and APR software set for 93 Octane Gas.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
mark911997sC is infamous around these parts
3k won't get you that much hp. You can get 2nd hand parts. I've got used x51 headers and a set of fabspeed mufflers I could sell cheap. Then find a used set of 200 cell cats and an Evoms intake. I just sold my evoms intake a while back for $400. They do come up on 6speed from time to time. You'd probably even have enough for a GIAC or Softronic flash. I Already have a vf supercharger and that's the way to go, Most bang for your buck.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
hmmmm

how do you like the SC, is the car a completely different animal? what else is mandatory to add along with the SC set up for proper operation..... assume you walk easy 997s and as far as a 997TT maybe not cripled as bad if ever to run? (in safe run of course) Any dyno numbers etc...

Originally Posted by mark911997sC
3k won't get you that much hp. You can get 2nd hand parts. I've got used x51 headers and a set of fabspeed mufflers I could sell cheap. Then find a used set of 200 cell cats and an Evoms intake. I just sold my evoms intake a while back for $400. They do come up on 6speed from time to time. You'd probably even have enough for a GIAC or Softronic flash. I Already have a vf supercharger and that's the way to go, Most bang for your buck.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
ghsu is infamous around these parts
I just got the GIAC software installed last weekend - it was $1100. On the GIAC website, it claims a 10-20hp gain and 10-15lbs of torque. Since the website clumps the gains in over a range of models (like 997 and 997S), it's hard to know what GIAC is claiming for any particular 997 model. It takes 50miles at least for the engine mapping in the computer to acclimate and fully benefit from mods (or so I read in another thread from one of the guys at AWE Tuning). I can see how that makes sense in a physical change - like an air intake or an exhaust system - I'm not sure that's the same for a software upgrade. That being said, I felt a difference right away with the GIAC software, esp in the 4500-7000 RPM range in 3rd gear. Less perceptible in 2nd gear if accelerating from standstill through to 4th gear, but it does seem to provide faster throttle response in 2nd gear from gentle driving in the first third of the power band to being pushed hard across the upper 2/3 of the power band. To be honest, I'm not sure the difference is worth $1100 (or perhaps I just need to drive more as I've put maybe 40-50miles on it since the installation and half of those were spent in 10mph traffic). I can tell there's a difference, and it's bigger than marginal (as it's impacting 2nd and 3rd gear throttle response and torque), so I don't think it's money wasted. The GIAC website recommends pairing an air intake mod with the software upgrade. To that end, I have an EVO-Motorsports Cold Air Intake on order. I also have an AWE full exhaust system (headers, CATs, and mufflers) on order. Hoping the compilation will add in a more meaningful way. The GIAC software and a new EVO-MS cold air intake will bring you to the $1700 mark, so you'd still have money left to get some used headers or CATs etc. Good luck. I will post to the forum once I get the rest installed...

Old 10-07-2008, 03:06 PM
ghsu is infamous around these parts
Forgot to mention that EVO-MS claims a 10-12hp gain and 10-12lb torque gain from their V-Flow Air Intake which I referred to above.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: You have 3K to add HP what do you do....997